Neon Genesis Evangelion - discussion thread

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by pinoy78, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Kupp

Kupp Relic of a time before time. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Oh I agree completely, I actually really liked episodes 25 and 26, alot. I still watch that when I get depressed, really pick me up. I will say I never liked Asuka until the movies, she really kicked alot of ass when fighting the unit 5's.

Amateur. When it was comming out on VHS, whenever a new cassette came out, I watched the whole series through again, before watching the new episodes.

Then with how many people I showed the series to in college, I swear I must have watched Evangelion begining to end at least 60 times, possibly 80. Mind you we watched in marathons. Whenever we introduced someone to it, we made them watch it all in one sitting. I guess it was our little groups version of hazing.

Still Evangelion is no where near as messed up as the Revolutionary Girl Utena Movie, not even a bottle of whiskey will make that thing make sense.

But less I digress, More Evangelion makes me a very happy happy happy person.

2. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

Oh, I get it. Not a remake, but continuations of the same story. Now I'm really curious to see it. Especially since they keep saying that you won't need to see the original to see these. It's not like Evangelion is something you can jump right in the middle of.

3. Chaos Incarnate

Chaos Incarnate Not just a name.

News Credits:
    No, that's a Babelfish. Anyhow, all you bashers, the 'technobabble', 'emo', and 'wtf is going on' has been what has made the show so popular. Instead of giving you the story, plot, and or devices on a silver platter, they make you work for it. That's what adds to the greatness of that series.

4. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

That's not why I don't like it. I don't like it because what they made you work for was ultimately unfulfilling.

5. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

A movie set after the movie?

Shinji: "I'm kinda hungry. What's open?"
    Asuka: "NOTHING is open. You blew up the world, idiot."
    Shinji: "Crap. Say, where'd all this meat come from?"
    Asuka: "..."
    Shinji: "No, seriously. I just need some bread and matches, then I can --"
    Asuka: "YOU DISGUST ME."

Seriously, there's no way to make that horrible ending any better, without scrapping it entirely. If we're lucky, maybe they will.

-XCN-

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

That's why I'm thinking the middle movies happen concurrently to the TV series as a kind of side-story. It could easily start from the same backstory events that started the events of the show and lead up to the same ending, and then continue.
    The world's not over at the end. It's in the very early stages of being reborn. Life and civilisation are coming back, they just haven't done so yet. Anyway, they already said it's not a rewrite, so changing the ending is unlikely. Instead I guess we'll get to see how the world is rebuilt, which a lot of people have wondered about.

7. Kupp

News Credits:
    Transformers and Evangelion in summer 2007, There is a God. Whether he loves me or really hates me, however, still remains to be seen.

8. Cypherdrive S7

Cypherdrive S7 J00 got pwnt!

Mmm, Eva-02 BBQ :D 

I have to say, watching the original DVD release, then watching the same eppisodes on the platinum DVDs, there is significant improvement. Not only in the animation quality, but with the sound. In the original, all of the sounds, music, and voices were all on one track. Now they went back and sepparated the different parts into different levels, giving a more realistic quality to the sounds. And making it sound awsome in surround sound!

All the last eppisodes made me do was go "WTF!?" while looking for something to make the headache go away. IMO, End of Evangelion actualy made more sense to me than most of the series did. And I loved the fact that EOE was Anno's response to fans that hated the end of the series. Killing off all of humanity except for a whiny emo boy and an angry red-head was an awsome "F-YOU" to all the haters...XD

9. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

10. QuantumShock

QuantumShock Stay for brunch ?

News Credits:
    Chibi-fied Angels ftw

11. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

well I ....think that after reading books about the ending to get it- and to this day kinda unfullfilling*most probably because I think I got over my emo stage very quickly*

now Im exited to see this. and wonder how it will go.- better than that who the hell are gonna be the enemies the whole angel lot and the mass production types are dead.

now.....me thinks Ill watch the scene where shinji and the eva go syncroniced 400 someething percent.... I need some violence

12. Kupp

News Credits:
  13. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I thought the whole point of Eva was for the watcher to come to their own conclusions and own ideas, dumbing it down seems pointless.

I have platinum collection on DVD and EoE on DVD too so for me personally I see no reason to watch or purchase this again.

14. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

So far, I haven't seen any indication that Evangelion@school has anything to do with the new movies that were announced before. More likely it's there to either revive public interest in Evangelion before the movies come out, or to be ready to cash in on them once they do.

15. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Wow. That school thing looks like horrible and fail. Im tempted to email my Japanese contact about this to find out what this horrible thing is all about... although I should have emailed her a long time ago.. kinda feel bad to ask about a translation now....

And since somebody brought up the last episodes of the series, am I the only person in the world that didn't go "wtf?!" at the end of the series? :p 

16. Omik

Omik *blink blink*

I have to agree; dumbing down the series (aka making it straightforward) is going to hurt it a lot. I don't need to have all of my anime explained to me to the last detail; that's why I love Lain so much. I really hope they don't screw it up too much; though super eva marathons are gonna be a lot of fun: 26 episodes and 6 movies = bathroom break of death.

btw, what's the word on the live action eva movie?

17. Wing alpha

Wing alpha <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

No you werent.

funny thing I said"and with this the weirdest series ever ends"

18. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Slight Super Robot Wars spoilers!

I wanna see them make a movie of whichever SRW continuity has the Shinji who had a huge set of cast-iron balls stapled to him from hanging around the testosterone wave that are the Super Robot pilots.

19. Spider Striker

Spider Striker ThisGuyWithTheYellowCap

.....Huh.

20. Blaster

Blaster Australian Ghetto Blaster

Ebay:
    Instagram:
    I don't know if anyone has seen this, but it's apparently a new concept for Rei that has been floating around the Japanese blogs. I don't know whether its concrete or not, but I thought I'd share :) 

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b251/taaublaster/Rei.jpg

Pumped about the new series by the way :D