The Rebirth

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jonnyshaft, Feb 6, 2012.

1. jonnyshaft

jonnyshaft Well-Known Member

I watched it on HUB last week and found some things I didnt hate about it-

The Aerialbots are slaughtered by the Combaticons and die (I think)
    The Deceptocon clones were cool, and I think Eastern European.
    Seeing Ultra Magnus and Prime work together.
    Outside of little green men, the story wasnt horrible, would have been much better over a season instead of three eps.
    Mindwipe, Apeface, Triggerhappy, and a few other new Decepticons.

Things that sucked-

Having a targetmaster only to throw your gun at your opponent like your out of bullets in a horror movie
    Cyclonus' voice after Roger Caramel died
    The Hives bodies being "totally useless", but at the same time being cock diesel.
    Decapitation requires very little effort
    An odd romance between the now parapeligic Daniel and Arcee.
    Seeing Bumblebee rejoice at the end...alongside Goldbug.

2. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    The Aerialbots were slaughtered by Sixshot, dude. [​IMG]

3. daitarn red

daitarn red bionic hero

i like fortess maxiumus with one headmaster like in japanese headmaster series

4. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yeah I never understood the whole 'useless body' thing, when Zarak was built like 1980's Arnie.

5. jonnyshaft

jonnyshaft Well-Known Member

Sixshot fought the Aerialbots in part 1; in part 3 the Combaticons killed them, dude.

6. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    I guess it all depends on what your definition of "slaughtered" is, dude. :wink: 

7. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Rebirth is underrated.

8. mrgalvaprime

mrgalvaprime #BanTJ

News Credits:
    First time ive agreed with this guy :drunk 

9. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    "I'll be back...as the head of a titanic robot scorpion RAAAAWR."

"I eat Autobots for breakfast, and right now I'm hungry!"

Someone needs to redub all of Zarak's lines accordingly, it would be hillarious.

10. grunge

grunge The TANK

News Credits:
    Bolded what I agreed with. Seeing Battle Convoy and Powered Convoy together was cool if even only for a moment.

Lol "cock diesel". Yeah that struck me as odd too! If anything they should have had frail bodies and over sized heads.

1 more thing, Punch being drawn with face plate .., but having a mouth.

11. D-Unit

D-Unit #1 Heel

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    This. The story's not that bad, it's just the animation that ruins is. It would have been interesting to see how they'd have handled this if it went on to a real season

12. bobbyjack

bobbyjack Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Last week was the first time I had ever seen these episodes. I thought the Return of Optimus Prime was the end of the cartoon. I had never heard of The Rebirth until I started using this site. After seeing these episodes, I don't really feel the need to watch them again. My four year old lost interest after the second commercial break in the first episode and he loves the animated movie. I read the comic book growing up, and I think the Headmasters limited series was a much better story.

13. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I don't think that that Aerialbots died. Galvatron mentioned some of the Autobots being "deactivated", but I didn't see anything to indicate that they were definitely dead.

Yeah, I didn't care for that. The creators could've handled it a lot differently. They didn't have to make it seem like Daniel was moving in on Springer's woman, where ever Springer was during these episodes.

These episodes certainly had no shortage of animation errors.

You have to understand that at the age of six, I thought I'd never see a new episode of Transformers again. And many of the new characters that were featured in these episodes, I already had the toys of. So it was kind of a first for me to see my toys on screen. Normally throughout my life I see the characters on screen first, then buy the toy.

14. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    I hadn't seen The Rebirth until the late 90s when I got it on VHS. What killed it for me was that I knew the story of the Headmasters from the Marvel Comics, and seeing those guys being green and the story being all different was tough for me to accept.

15. Glass_of_water

Glass_of_water Well-Known Member

i like pounce and wingspan in it too :D  also when mindwipe owns his head lol that's the best bit!

16. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Snapdragon treating Daniel like my dog treats a dead squirrel is by far my favorite part of Rebirth. :lol 

17. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I thought it was a crappy way to end the series but it wasn't meant to be the end it just got canned after they made this.

I hated Daniel being Arcee's headmaster....hell I hate the Headmaster gimmick period.

18. ABrown

ABrown Well-Known Member

I just thank god that they didn't turn Hot Rod, Kup, Blurr, Cyclonus, and Scourge into headmasters. I can tolerate them as targetmasters, but not as headmasters.

19. Ultra Lagmus

Ultra Lagmus Well-Known Member

"The Rebirth" was a punching bag for the TF community for years. Still gets a sucker punch every now and then. The animation is the primary source of hate. It conjures up memories of "Carnage in C-Minor" and FFOD. Once the behind the scenes story gets known, "The Rebirth" usually gets seen in a new light.

The basic facts of the story:
    - 5 episodes were intending to be made, that's what the order was for.
    - The studio was sold, new owners basically violated the contract (should've been sued since new owners are supposed to inherit the contracts of whatever companies they buy unless they can prove the contract was negotiated/signed in bad faith) and it was lucky 3 episodes were made.
    - New owners gave the studio only enough to make 3 episodes and it had to be made in the time they could normally only make 1 1/2 episodes. This explains why the story feels very compacted; they had to fit a 5-parter into a 3-parter and who knows how much time they were given to smooth things together. This also explains why the animation starts out decent but then somewhere over Part 2 gets sloppier and by Part 3 it literally looks like they were animating the cels as things were being hauled out of the studio.
    (I have the image in my head of a Japanese animator drawing a cel at a desk with 2 men picking up each side of the desk and hauling it off while he's still drawing the cel [assuming chair attached to the desk like some school desks])

Exactly. Better 3 episodes with the 1987 toys than 0 episodes with the 1987 toys. 1987 is also usually seen as the last truly good year of G1, both in terms of concepts not straying too far from the transformation concept (Targetmasters makes sense, Headmasters is weird, but was retro in some ways, though more for Japan than the US, whereas Powermasters... living engines? There's something disturbing about that. And Pretenders? How many TF fans pretend they don't exist? Besides, the figures look like they were trying to channel He-Man, which was moribund by 1988) and in terms of quality construction (1987 matching 1986 in terms of quality, 1988 having some figures being like Tonka Transformers or cheap knockoffs), so it was nice to have at least a little something with them. And as crowded as it was, how many got at least as much air time as Skids?

The episodes were essentially a bonus for viewers in what was a season of reruns (1987-88), 3 unexpected episodes that surprisingly appear and wrap up the series. When He-Man, She-Ra, GI Joe had rerun seasons after their last season (He-Man had 2), they had no new episodes mixed in there. Also, Cartoon conclusions were rare. "The Rebirth" stands out as an intended finale alongside "The Book of Omens" (Thundercats) [which has a few perplexing issues of its own]. Rebirth may have even established the precedent that made other Transformers series like Beast Wars have a defined conclusion.

And Galva's sig image got me thinking, Mona Lisa... is that the Da Vinci Mona Lisa cracked & aged, too fragile to fix, or the parallel twin Mona Lisa, as old, but preserved due to that effort to hide it from sight with all that black varnish?

20. SouthtownKid

SouthtownKid Headmaster

News Credits:
    Everything in the Marvel Comics was green and all different.

Change the image to a Korean animator and you're probably pretty close.