The reason Skids/Mudflap's fate hidden?

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Starscream NZ, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Starscream NZ

Starscream NZ Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Now, I am probably giving Michael Bay too much credit here, but a thought I had on the complete lack of resolve around the fate of the twins fighting Devastator was perhaps Bay purposefully left it ambiguous because he knew how potentially bad the twins characters could be portrayed.

I don't buy for a second that it was the voice-actors choices to make them 'racial seterotypes' (I'll be honest and say I didn't find them that offensive). I believe it was Bay's idea to characterise them this way, but realising that this could be a potentially bad move, omitted any confirmation of their fate so if it got as bad of a reception as it was, they could be regarded as being killed. This way, he wouldn't have to include them in TF3 and could simply state they were killed fighting Dev.

Of course, no one actually was confirmed alive at the end of ROTF besides the humans, Prime and BB - I seriously doubt that we'll see Jolt and Arcee/Chromia back either which is a shame because Jolt had no screen time yet had an great robot mode (from what we saw).

But, as I said before, i'm likely giving Bay more credit than he's due.

2. Ktulu

Ktulu Whoosh TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Pretty sure they were just lost in the shuffle like the other bots that disappear and no one ever noticed given how rushed the whole thing was

3. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    You're giving Bay WAY too much credit.

The open ending wasn't limited to them. Bumblebee wasn't seen at the end of the movie either, the last we saw him was when he was watching Sam 'die'. We know how much Bay likes the twins, I'd be surprised if he didn't force them in TF3

4. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    Last time we saw all autobots are when The Fallen shows up at final battle.

5. Optimus Prime

Optimus Prime Roll out! TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    He might leave the fate of them, as well as characters like Jolt, the bike sisters, and probably even Sideswipe, ambiguous or open-ended and unknown. This way, he can bring in new characters, or bring back these old ones without having to retcon anything. Like Barricade; nobody knows what happened to him, so technically they could bring him back whenever.
    I don't think we'll be seeing much more, if any more, of the Twins, though. The ridiculous political-correctness backlash they recieved will probably be enough to sideline them, even if they were popular with kids and audiences in general.

6. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

One would think. But then Bay has never been known to listen to that kind of reason.
    Unless Spielberg himself took Mike to the side and told him "Hey, cut it out." we just may end up seeing more of the Bayformer Twins for TF3.

Personally speaking, I didn't really mind them all that much.(I actually found their character designs amusing.) But I wouldn't mind seeing less of them either.

7. Optimus Prime

News Credits:
    Right, I didn't think they were any worse than the jive-talking, black stereotype characters in Disney movies (if a bit more "PG-13" with the language). But critics and even the NAACP blasted them for being "the most horrible racial stereotyping since blackface minstrel performances," which I think is probably enough for anyone to think twice about using them again.

8. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

lmao Oh man, I didn't hear about that one. I can see where people got offended by the characters, but that's a gross over exaggeration. :lol 

9. Optimus Prime

News Credits:
    lol yeah, as was most of the criticism about the movie. People just picked little things and blew them waaaay out of proportion. :lol 
    I've seen more "racist" things on, say, Family Guy than these Twins.

10. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Yeah, and yet Stewie gets a balloon in the macy's Thanksgiving day parade.
    Go figure.

11. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    DVD commentary says they ran out of Egypt footage

12. ghowildseven

ghowildseven SG Decepticon

The Twins can't die, they're Bayverse Autobots :p 

13. Evil_the_Nub

Evil_the_Nub Well-Known Member

The last time they were shown was when they were thrown off Devastator. Just before he climbed the pyramid. It's no more a mysterious disappearance than Sideswipe, Bumblebee, or Ironhide.

14. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Damn it would be nice if they could use something like that to not bring them back. Heck I'll settle for them being sent on some special mission to the moon as long as it's something to keep them from being back.

Yea I know it's a bit unfair because I'm not a big fan of the movie universe so far any way. But darn if those two are back for the third film I may just have to rent the film instead so I can skip over their parts.

15. Dran0n

Dran0n Junk male

News Credits:
    This.

16. DecepticonSpike

DecepticonSpike Kimber/Stormer Fanboy

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Wouldn't be the first time in TF history where characters just "disappeared".

17. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe never watch it at all too? I mean, that was one of your options two or three weeks ago.

18. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    Too much credit given. It was poor writing, simple as that.

*jazzcough*

(yes I know you were being sarcastic)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  19. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

Oh that option is still on the table. Transformers 3 could still end up being something like X-Men 3 that I still haven't seen. Since I sort of know how other people's taste match up to my own I'm going to wait to see if it's something to see in the theater, rent, or just skip all together.

20. bny888

bny888 バグバイト

News Credits:
    wheelie was "lost" too...