The rear section of IDW comics

Discussion in 'Transformers Comics Discussion' started by SkyQuake, May 14, 2006.

1. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

Lately, IDW TF comics have had excerpts from other TF comics (like Beast Wars) after the main story. I realise this is used to advertise other books, but wouldn't it be more interesting to put another sub story in this section, or to make the current comics with longer stories?

To me as it currently is, the excerpts are a waste of space, because I'm already going to get the books that parts are being shown of. If an advertisement for another book is wanted in this section, why not make it a new prequel, or side story that leads up to, or adds to the main story?

2. Chrono Grimlock

Chrono Grimlock Buttstuff Werewolf

News Credits:
    I prefer the preview for up coming books. I buy all their Transformers comics anyway, but it's nice to get a preview of Stormbringer and Beast Wars a month or two before they're released.

3. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:

I agree. These are a waste of space that could otherwise be devoted to more comic book. It's bothersome. I don't really care about the next Transformers comic book, no matter what version of the story it is - I want to read more of the story in THE COMIC BOOK I JUST BOUGHT.

4. Severus

Severus Curmudgeon TFW2005 Supporter

Well, yes, I agree, but only to the extent that the stories are good and I want more at a time. Maybe it's because I haven't been into comics since I was a lot younger, but now that I have a lot more disposable income I look at it and say, "Hey, I only paid $2.95". For the cost of Transformers and Beast Wars I could also buy a burger and fries or a couple of gallons of gas. It just doesn't rate.

Incidentally, I never really liked Beast Wars that much, but I started reading the comic for Don's artwork and I'm really starting to get into it after the first 3 issues. I'll be collecting it from now on. No Optimus or Megatron as the main leaders!! :rock 

5. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

News Credits:
    I guess it depends whether you consider it being ripped off a couple of pages, or given a few extras for free.
    From what I gather all comics use advertising to subsidise cost, these are just purchased internally by IDW, and probably more relevant to the market.

6. KidDynamite

KidDynamite Do good recklessly Veteran

Twitter:
    I don't have a problem with the concept so much as with the execution. If these were actually previews of comics that are a month or two down the pipe I think they'd be more appreciated. In reality they're always previewing material that has already been shown online, and often material that is only a week or two away from being released. Sometimes it's "previewing" material that's already out! I can sort of understand wanting to print preview pages for those people who don't frequent the internet for comic news, but I don't really think the timing of the issues they're promoting is sufficient to build interest.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    What I think might be more interesting would be to do fewer pages for an individual issue, and instead maybe a single / double page of two or three upcoming stories, so in the place of the few pages we have now we'd get, say, a single page for Beast Wars #4, a double page for Stormbringer, and maybe some pencils for next issue. I think that would be more interesting since we'd have the best of all worlds.

8. The Madness

The Madness News Credits: -13

News Credits:
    Yeah, I agree they go too far with their teasers (both comic and online), some of them seem like half the issue. I guess they want people to feel invested in the storyline, but honestly one page should be fine in my book (Colloquialism, I don't have a book).
    I guess they figure they have an uphill battle to gain readers after DW and feel they have to spoil us to get our attention.
    Pencils are probably a good call, as extra content is likely a stretch on time and budget.

9. SkyQuake

SkyQuake What's Quakin'?

I agree a 1-2 page, well executed ad could probably do the same as the 5 to 6 page previews that are being printed. I'd really rather see extra content, or differing previews like stated above.

I haven't purchased other comics in a long while. Is $2.99 about the norm? If so, do other comics follow the same formula, or do they provide more content?

10. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

I'd perfer if those pages were used for the comic as well. The previews in beast wars for the regular TF series never interested me. At least show previews of different comics.

11. Triformis

Triformis Insecticon Fanatic TFW2005 Supporter

I like the idea of a back-up story if they HAVE to have something on those pages (other than longer stories). On the other hand, Marvel tried some of that recently by sticking in short stories with characters from their old New Universe (I hear they're attempting to start up that crap again). While that was a failed experiment IMO, I'd definitely be on board for longer stories or short and sweet ones.

12. Jetfireinthesky

Jetfireinthesky Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I say do it Revolution on the Planet of the Apes style. For a 28 page book they sure do pack alot in there. The first two pages are for identifing cast of characters, 16 pages of the main story, two pages of Journal entries (for Transformers could be Covenant of Primus passages, different character "logs" on events happening in the story from their point of view, or just add it to the main story for 18 pages of story), 5 page back up story having little to do with the main story, and two pages for letters. If you want to in house advertise then use the left over page for that. Or heck, stop making 15 different covers to the issue and remove the cover checklist and use that to advertise the 3 Transformers comics that come out next month. IDW doesn't put out more than 3 comics a month so I think you could adequetly advertise them on the inside back cover. I'd rather have a checklist of that than a checklist of covers I'm not getting.

P.S. - If you liked the old Planet of the Apes movies than get the Revolution on the Planet of the Apes comic by Mr. Comics. It takes place between the last two original movies. Granted I've only read issue 4 of 6 but it's still great stuff.