the real reason we want homages

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by KA, Mar 18, 2007.

1. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i was just mulling over new TF toys and hasbros habit of doing homages to G1. we always complain 'why havent they done this and that G1 character?'. i guess if you really want to own a new version of an old character theres always the last resort of customizing one.

but i dont think its just abt that. in the end i think its really abt the the idea the we dont want these characters to be forgotten hasbro. it would be like them being killed off i guess.

2. Bass X0

Bass X0 King of Muay Thai

News Credits:
    Customising toys isn't an option for everyone.

3. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Homages are nice, but I'd prefer a continuation of the Classics line where toys are made to acurately represent a G1 character rather than have a toy that resembles a character because of it's paint or just a head mold.

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    youre missing the point here.

i'm trying to make distinct the difference between owning a character and perpetuating the character.

5. aey103

aey103 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For me I like homages because I can associate with the character or toy I had growing up. I personally like the G1 characters since that was my childhood and I may have not had the original and dont feel like paying an arm and a leg on eBay for the original, so geting a non-brick version of a toy I didn't have growing up sort of is a nice supplement

6. skidsinlimbo

skidsinlimbo Well-Known Member

I think also there's a need for Hasbro to protect the names by reusing them

It would be nice to have a genuinely new line with no reuses of old names.

Also some new leaders on both sides

Make a clean break like the Marvel Headmastrs storyline with a completely new line up. Rather than anything involving small children in any way

7. godsenddeath

godsenddeath . TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    It comes down to Nostalgia. That's why there's an endless stream 'When is Classics coming back?' threads.

8. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah for me, homages represent an update of the characters that I grew u with. With today's technology, improvements in features like articulation would be cool updates of my fave characters.

9. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

Yes, it it this as well in addition to just wanting an updated toy. I want to know my favorite characters haven't been forgotten. I want new fans to have a good idea why I love my favorite characters if the character isn' t named Op, Megs, or Screamer and get to like them too. I want my favorite characters to be involved in the lastest cartoon/movie/fiction and having a toy is a good gurantee they will be. That's why I'm so glad Bumblebee, Ironhide, Jazz, and Ratchet are making a comeback with the new movie. Thay are great *characters* that deserve to be preserved so the next generation can enjoy them too. And if needing to keep a trademark name helps keep them alive, so be it.

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    YES! thats what i was trying to say.

except more wordy.

wordy = good.

11. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

Sweet. A KA thread in which he doesn't just turn around and start spamming it up. :D 

I agree with your reasoning here, KA and Fairlady_Z. Often times, however, I'm a bit disappointed that some of the homages are little more than a simple reuse of the G1 name with limited resemblance to the original bot. E.g., Energon Ironhide (why didn't they just use Towline as Ironhide in the mainline?? That was such an obvious choice!) I don't want the names to be forgotten, and, perhaps more importantly, I don't want the characters to be forgotten...a decent homage, IMO, should combine name recognition with something that really makes you say, "now, THAT'S Ironhide!"

12. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    :poke 

13. fschuler

fschuler Member TFW2005 Supporter

I stand corrected.

14. Abrogate

Abrogate Nondescript Former Poster

News Credits:
    well, I sort of agree with that. I think it's lame that the Marvel G1 Comics, and the IDW Comics, made such a great character out of Thunderwing, and yet he's never been given a new toy form, so it seems like all Hasbro wants to do is stick to the core, dont think too far outside the box. Although we did get the Fallen, so I guess there's hope.

But, that's not really my MAIN concern. My main concern is a bit simpler: I like G1 characters and aesthetics, but they no articulate. I dont like modern characters as much, but I do like their articulation. Give me G1 with articulation, so I can have the best of both worlds. Case closed.

15. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    they should totally do the stormbringer thunderwing design with the brute mode. dja guys get the TPBK with the design skecth? awsum.

16. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

yeah, I agree with the sentiment that we don't want characters to be forgotten. how often to people do repaints of characters they don't like? it's our way of adding the "updated technology/articulation" to molds and repaints that we think accurately resemble the character. witness in a few weeks how I'll be doing (almost) all of the g1 minibots as cybertron scout repaints.

17. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    I don't like homages one bit. If you're going to reference a character, just make it that character. Thats one of the reasons I loved Classics so much. No homages, these were the characters remembered, no question about it. new forms, but we knew exactly who they were. Not like the situation with Energon Rodimus. Yeah, he looks a lot like the Rodimus Prime we remember, but he's not him. The Rodimus in Classics, trademark issues aside, is Hot Rod. Clear as day.

I would really love it if hasbro quit with the damn homages and just made an entirely new set of characters. new, unique characters that can stand on their own and not have to be compared to anyone from the past. give us new heroes to love. Thats what I want.

Keep the Classics line going on the side if they feel the need to pay tribute to a past character (and this way they can at least do it in style) or preserve trademarks. keep the main line fresh.

18. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

You're surely entitled to your opinion and all, but let's face facts: nobody creates new characters. Marvel & DC have been using the same characters for decades. Videogames have been using the same characters for decades, too. James Bond has had more movies than any character save Sherlock Holmes. Movies get re-made all the time. And I can't count the number of times that I've heard my parents say "that toy isn't new! We had that when I was a kid!"

In the end, people want familiarity.

19. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    They did it with Beast Wars, Masterforce, Headmasters, Victory, Beast Wars II, and Beast Wars Neo. all those series had some familiar elements, (and some had just a few familiar faces) but for the most part they were entirely new casts of great new characters.

20. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I just want my favorite characters updated with quality toys. Classics for the win (helloooooooooo Bumblebee!). I know that any hope that Hasbro will continue the Classics is perhaps a wasted hope, but I still long for Classics Blitzwing, the other Seekers, Jazz, Shockwave, et al.