The real problem with Leade Jetfire SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Shizuka, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    For those who have seen the movie then you've probebly noticed the big fat problem with the combiner. Jetfire is not a backpack. We now know that pieces of him find themselves on Optimus. The toy would have fared better if you could dismantle him and put his pieces on Optimus. Any thoughts on this?

2. ersico

ersico Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    i thought this same thing....kinda like if he were the trailer for the classics prime...just take it apart and piece things where they need to go as opposed to putting the whole thing onto his back..

3. kwickstrike

kwickstrike Banned

Ebay:
    like rid prime and UM

4. Autoclot

Autoclot Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, then you'd have a toy that could either be a toy in its own right or Prime armour + bits. You'd have a lot of redundant parts just lying around during combined mode - he'd be like an 80's TF, with bits that aren't used in all modes.

5. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    not necessarily, you could have had a fully functional jet fire with snap off parts the coincide to plugs on prime

6. Autoclot

So you get Optimus Prime + Super mode Jetfire, or Jetfire + Super mode Optimus Prime?

I can see that working, although they probably wouldn't get away with advertising it as combining, then.

7. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

I think they were trying to avoid copying both the Energon Prime/Wing Saber combinations (Wing Saber did actually split into 4 seperate peices to combine with that Prime, but as a consequence he totaly sucked on his own w/o Prime, and Prime kinda sucks without him) and the Cybertron Prime/Jetfire or Prime/Wing Saber combos (I know the latter two had to split like in energon to combine with Prime) They also probably didn't want to copy the first Prime/Jetfire comination, which was in Armada and Jetfire just replaced the trailer legs in OP's super mode and the shield going on top of the Truck cab chest (so he became a lower-half brick with jet feet to fly instead of just a lower-half brick).

But another thing is that in the past, OP was the leader while all the toys he combined with were of a lower price point than Leader. This time, Jetfire is a leader, so that automaticaly means Hasbro's gonna try and cram some large-scale electronic gimmick into him (voice chip, LEDs, etc.) Hasbro is also not willing to sacrifice that gimmickry in favor of something of a lesser sort, like combining, thus we get Toy Prime with Jetfire for a backpack.

Personaly, ROTF Prime does not interest me at present (I might buy a nightwatch repaint, though, to justify getting a toy that's just an update of my TF1 Prime), but Jetfire is a must for me.

8. transtrekkie

transtrekkie On the level.

What's wrong with that? I grew up on those in the 80's and those were some really fun toys.

9. Autoclot

As did I, but the toys these days have moved away from that. If it was a case of one toy having upgrade parts for itself (like a normal and super mode fro the one toy), then it wouldn't be so bad, but when half the parts of the toy are intended as upgrade parts for a second toy, it gets a little... odd...

10. Prescient

Prescient Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As nice as parts formers are for accuracy, these are designed to be toys and parts get lost easily when played with by their target audience (5-13 year olds at a guess).

Not so much a problem for adult collectors but not good for kids. This is why they have produced a backpack mode Jetfire as the best compromise.