The real differences among the Transformers movie versions ( VHS, DVD, Reconstructed,

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Tyraelwzl, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Tyraelwzl

Tyraelwzl New Member

Hello everyone,

I wanted to start a post to get everyone's opinions on the many different releases of the Original Transformers Movie. Ok so here it goes. When the movie first come out on DVD I bought this new version in addition to already owning it on VHS. I remember how much of a different it seemed to me, I mean come on back when DVD first came out it was a huge leap forward. I remember thinking about how much of an improvement there seemed to be. Yet this was how many years ago? Now fast forward to present day. I now own nearly every major release of the Transformers movie. I must have owned the First Release of the Transformers movie for about two years then I heard that there was a UK Reconstructed version. I researched it and found out it was true. This seemed to good to be true. Of course the Reconstructed version featured a totally new master and new special features but mainly I wanted it because it was to be the first time to see all of what the artist ever drew. Ive been somewhat happy with this version up until mind you once again a few years later. Then came the talks of Sony and BG doing there own version of it for the 20th anniversary. Once again I was thrilled I never even stopped to consider the fact that it was really just another first of the same film that I already had three versions of. This one featured what as to be an ever better transfer from the original negative. So I bought this one as well. Then I had this version for seriously lest then a year. In mid 2007 I found out of yet another UK release the Transformers Ultimate edition which I just recently purchased. Now I don't consider myself a hard time critic but enough so that I wanted to actually see if my money over the years has been justified and well spent. I started with the original VHS version and worked my way up to current. Figured I might as well do this right. So I watched the same segment on every film version. I watched from the Decepticon attack on the shuttle till the end of the battle between optimus and megatron. Ive watched each version closely comparing detail, clearness, sharpness, and color, with each version. Upon my general review I had to say that the ultimate version did appear to be the best master. But not by much. I am hoping to do a more thorough investigation this weekend with actual screen shots and scene comparisons much like they have done on some on-line reviews. But I want to know what everyone else thinks? am I the only one here that is still not entirely happy with the film? Not just the quality but the error's with the movie which have gone unfixed through out every version? Please leave some input. Thanks.

2. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Wall of text is hard to read. Paragraphs are your friend.

I prefer the original VHS, the new remastered version makes the animation in parts looks real choppy. Not sure how as all they did was tweak the colours.

3. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

I've got most of those too. The only one I haven't gotten was the UK Ultimate edition. Then there is the recently release UK Blu-ray, which may or may not be region coded. Not knowing has prevented me from buying one.

It's been a long time since I've watched reconstructed, so I don't really remember much to compair it to the Region 1 25th Ann. Edition.

I definatly like the Widescreen version the best, dispite the color corrections. I still have no idea if what they changed was accurate to the original film release. If it is, that's a good thing, but it does look strange to me. I prefer the colors used in the Open Mate version. It would have been perfect (for me) if they'd used those color corrections in the WS version instead (once again, that is only if the colors used in the WS are correct to the original theature run). Guess I just like seeing a red Hot Rod.

I haven't really been happy with any version really. There always seems to be some encoding problems when ever theres alot of action. Pixilation and artifacts bug me to no end. My feeling is they are always trying to put to much information on each individual disc. WIth the movie plus exrtas, something has to give.. and it ends up being the quality of the film. I wish they'd just put only the film on the disc for a smoother picture. Hopefully a future BLu-ray release will correct this problem.

4. walruslaw

walruslaw video archivist

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    iv got

uk vhs
    rhino 1 dvd
    maverick 1 dvd
    prism 1 dvd
    metrodome reconstructed 1 dvd
    metrodome ultimate edition 2 dvd
    sony special edition 2 dvd
    madman anniversary edition 2 dvd

the most recent 3 versions (metrodome, sony and madman) all use the same widescreen video as each other but out of these in terms of special features the madman version is the best including all the features of the sony and metrodome while having its own selection of special features not in any other versions such as the touch music video.

5. MilkManX

MilkManX TF Comicbook Fan

I am probably one of the few who really enjoys the Sony 15th Dvd with the digital color corrections. It really makes for a nice contrast and the picture is sharp and brilliant. I am gonna slap it in right now lol!

6. SPIKE

SPIKE ZONE DEFENSE!!

Just got the Blu-Ray Version the other day, Very nice :) 

7. Backpack

Backpack G1 forever.

You did? does it play on your machine? Is it indeed region 0? How was the quality compaired to the DVD releases?

8. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    hold on, there's actually a blu-ray version of the original movie?

9. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Yup. UK release.

10. Hiro Prime

Hiro Prime Cybertronian Guru Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I prefer my LD version.

11. Big Bot

Big Bot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm pretty sure the Blu-ray version can play on all players.

The Metrodome widescreen version is slightly different to the Sony BMG one. Firstly, it has been PAL encoded so has a shorter running time and the remastering isn't quite as bright. Not sure about the Madman version.

12. walruslaw

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    the madmans the same as the uk metrodome one even includes chris's commentary track. Forgot sony remastered their own version

13. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Well if the Madman version is the best in terms of features, I guess I'll have to get that to go along with their G1 DVD set.

From what I can tell, Madman's G1 DVD set uses the broadcast masters from TVLoonland, but with Rhino's audio and it's special features, with it's own extras.

It's too bad Sony or whomever got the rights to Beast Machines outside the US, because Madman could have made an awesome Beast Machines DVD set, if their Beast Wars sets are any indication.

14. Big Bot

Big Bot Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    For the movie, Sony BMG's extra features are probably the best (except for Scamble City) with Metrodome's/Madman's picture image being better.

It would have been nice to see what Madman did with Beast Machines, as their Beast Wars boxsets are very good. Shame no-one wants to release BW on DVD in the UK.

15. walruslaw

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    im just glad iv picked them all up as i hate missing special features. Madman doing beast machines would be awesome. The madman bw sets are sweet still need season 2. Is it still universal that has the rights for uk distribution?

16. Tyraelwzl

Tyraelwzl New Member

So I haven't got as much accomplished as I would have hoped. But I did get my HD DVD player this weekend. Now I am able to view the various movies of the film in upscaled 1080i i didn't bother with the 1080p as my lcd doesn't accept it anyway. I started as I did before with the original release on dvd. This looked considerably sharper and the colors some what sharper yet over all not as good as the newer remastered versions. The UK reconstructed wouldnt even play...surprise surprise i am a little dismayed to find out that my hd dvd will only play region 1 and region 0 dvd's this is not something im used to as many of my dvd's are region 2. This also meant I couldn't play the UK ultimate edition. This was disappointing as this was the newest version and had looked the best on standard dvd. I ended up trying the 20th anniversary edition from Sony. This version looked much better then the standard dvd and also looked sharper and clearer then the unscaled version. Although I did notice so extra artifacts that weren't as prominent on the unscaled play.

17. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Which one? Bi-lingual or Japanese only?

Anyway, I think most DVD versions look better than the VHS and even the LDs. I really get impressed when cut footage shows up too.

18. Witwicky Camaro

Witwicky Camaro Sabbatical Is Required

News Credits:
    Jeez, you'd think DVD Companies would come together and put all these Extra Features on one DVD Release. And how many companies hold the rights to the Beast Wars/Machines/Transformers G1 series anyhow? I thought it was just Rhino and Sony Pictures (given that they re-released the TF:TM with the remastered-ness of their picture/color and all).

That aside, that is one impressive list of releases the Thread Starter has. I never thought that there were that many releases of Transformers: The Movie floating about in the world (especially in the UK). I also didn't think they'd release it on Blu-Ray (but that's until I spotted Lethal Weapon and Black Rain on Blu-Ray/HD-DVD. Nothings off limits apparently when it comes those formats...:D )

Anyhow, I own the VHS Release of TF: The Movie (UK Edition[?], with the Star Wars-esque word-scrolling intro) and the 20th Anniversary Edition DVD of TF: The Movie. I have yet to accumulate the funds to buy Beast Wars/Machines, and Generation One and Two of the Original The Transformers series or Transformers Armada.

19. pscoop

pscoop Dead inside

News Credits:
    Yeah, I am pretty sure it is region free. Tempting.

20. Joe Moore

Joe Moore Is Not Jim... Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    I'll always be partial to the Sony one. I have no idea why...:confused2