Customs: The real deal on Krylon Fusion?

Discussion in 'Creative General Discussion' started by SMOG, Jan 1, 2008.

1. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Okay, I need to know... to hear people talk, Krylon Fusion is the best thing since cars that transform into robots, but I'm still sceptical.

I have some TFs to paint... stuff that can't be achieved through dyeing. However, I do like to handle my TFs and transform them.

Does Krylon Fusion really bond with the plastic to the extent that it will not chip or scrape off in the joint areas? How durable is it? I want to be sure what results to expect.

Because so far, the best option I have heard about up till now is the Vinyl Dye Paint for doing car interiors, but that stuff is hard to find, and doesn't come in a wide variety of colours. Will Fusion paint give a similar result?

Thanks for any answers! :) 

zmog

2. timshinn73

timshinn73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I like Fusion. Seems pretty durable on the stuff I've painted. Although I don't handle and play with the customs I build. They're treated as display pieces.

I suspect some wear will occur with a lot of handling no matter what paint is used.

3. plowking

plowking I'm with ErechOveraker. Veteran

News Credits:
    I use Fusion too, but like Timshinn73, I really dont play with my customs.....they are more so display pieces than anything else....

I do know that Squall gave the advice once to sand the joint area a little, this takes away a little surface area, painting "adds a layer"...so when you paint it, the joint isnt all tight with paint, and possibly rub/chip off.

But yeah, Fusion is great....pretty much all I use for the bigger pieces....and I do handle them from time to time....but flat out playing with them could leave to some chipping and what not...no matter what paint you use.

4. SMOG

heh... well it's not like I'm playing with them, as in taking two figures and bashing them together while making laser sounds.

Not most of the time anyway. :) 

But I do like to pick up a transformer and pose him or transform him every now and again, and I wouldn't want to feel afraid to do that for fear of wearing away a layer of paint.

I mean, that stuff that Hasbro paints their stuff with is practically bulletproof, so if Fusion or the Vinyl Dye spray can attain that level, I'd be thrilled.

zmog

5. Bobby Lemain

Bobby Lemain Cassette Man

if you're not gonna play with them too much fusion is great, on the other hand, i did a custom paintjob on my Nintendo DS and after months of being put into my jean pockets, it doesn't look as smooth as glass anymore. well, then again, i can say the same for my phone, so judging by that, fusion is pretty awesome paint!

6. iconscons

iconscons Well-Known Member

I have used Krylon fusion, and while it's not bad, it goes on a bit thick if you want a glossy coat. I'm an enormous fan of tamiya sprays. Of course I carefully plan out my color scheme to avoid paint rubbing...so perhaps in high friction areas it's better.

7. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

I've used Fusion, and never been overly impressed with it. If you're that worried about chipping, you might want to look into paints formulated to work on lexan. Most hobby shops should have a few different brands, and it'll stick to types of plastic that Fusion won't.

8. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    I like them for the ease of grabbing a can and spraying, and price. But only some stores carry them, and the color selection is very limited. They cover well too, great thing about them is spray into the can's cap, and you have perfect match touch up paint, or accent paint.

They hold up well... but not at all scratch resistant.... nothing is. I'd rate them about even with Testor's sprays.

9. SMOG

errr... lexan? What's that? What kinds of paints are these, and what are they usually made for spraying?

So what I'm getting is that, for all the buzz, Fusion is not all that special or revolutionary? How does it compare to Tamiya sprays (which I presume are also designed for plastics). I already have some of those, but I've only used them for Gundam models which don't get a lot of handling.

Just trying to get as much info as possible before I start gumming up my TFs with the wrong kind of paint. :) 

zmog

10. Bobby Lemain

Bobby Lemain Cassette Man

oh ya, when you layer, idk if this is just krylon, but either follow the directions on the can, or wait until the paint is fully cured otherwise the top layer will become a gummy glob of color. Also, use the paint sparingly layer by layer, dont try to get the job done in one coat.

the only reason why I use fusion is because of it's price, but Tamiya sprays are pretty good also, just read the directions carefully and dont forget the primer/basecoat.

11. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    The smokescreen i made ( in my blogger, click link) ALT was painted with Fusion. Also, painted his legs with it (brushed on)

click below...

12. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    ^^that smokescreen is badass

The stuff is strong as hell, though I find it tough to get consistently smooth finishes (that could just be my own failing, though). I think it makes for a great primer; I've used enamels and acrylics on top of it with good results.

13. iron maniac

iron maniac Help Uncle Sixshot, Help!

News Credits:
    I have used both and prefer Tamiya paints over Krylon Fusion.

Tamiya paints are a bit pricey but worth it IMO.

14. REDLINE

REDLINE longer days, plz? Veteran

News Credits:
    I LOVE Fusion. L-O-V-E

15. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Lexan is also known as polycarbonate. It's used for bulletproof glass, and RC model car bodies. Most paints won't adhere to it. There are a few brands of paint made specifically for use on RC car bodies. Once they've cured, most of them are resistant to solvents, to prevent damage from the nitromethane based fuel that "gas" RC cars use.

I've been turned on to this kind of paint, because I also work with model trains, and they always make the detail parts out of a brittle engineering plastic, that won't accept most paints, including Fusion. Sadly, I haven't had a chance to actually use any, yet. I'd like to repaint the handrails on my N scale engine.

16. Robimus

Robimus Wanna'be Cassettebot

News Credits:
    The Krylon Fusion has worked the best for me of the many spray paints I've tried. Its the best way to keep costs down. I dunno about else where but in Winnipeg a deluxe costs $18, the Krylon paint costs $8, never mind your brushes, detailing paint etc. The overall cost involved is why I haven't gotten to more customs, but I have gotten the best results with the Krylon, it does chip but giving it a seal seems to help.

17. Archatron

Archatron Banned

Ebay:
    fusion is crap in a can. period. You have to find what give you the best results, everyones got a different one. MIne is Model MAsters.

18. frenzyrumble

frenzyrumble Banned

News Credits:
    another factor is Krylon fusion costs about $3.00 for a large can, while the testor's and tamaya's cost $13 for the 1/2 size can.

19. TonyzCustomz

TonyzCustomz Am I doin it rite? TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I disagree Krylon is fantastic and if you use it correctly, it will make for a very good primer. Some tips that I have for people that have had shitty luck or have never used it before is:
    1. Please take your time and use super thin layers, I have been in a hurry to many times and gunked the shit out of stuff.
    2. It may seem obvious to some but please do not even think about touching it to paint the other side untill a few days pass. Reason I say this is because the stuff needs a long time to cure and bond to the plastic, but believe me once it has bonded, it will not chip easily. I was playing with around with my optimus the other day and thought I would see if I could scrape off some paint with my keys and no dice, the shit is stuck

20. Archatron

Archatron Banned

Ebay:
    Still crap, and I can spray paint. I have tried to scratch stuff with keys after using model masters and.....nothing happened either.