The Rats of NIMH return

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Prowl, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=57538

I'm torn on the potential for this. I still hold the original animated adaptation as one of my favorite animated movies, but I don't think that I would terribly mind if they tried to retell this story with nicely done CG (as in less cartoony than ratatouille). This is one of the only movie/stories that somewhat explains why the animals we are watching on the screen have developed language and even act like humans, so it would be interesting to see it a bit darker and dingier. I'm curious, but not expecting too much.

2. TheGreatMrChibi

TheGreatMrChibi The tighter shirt.

...I don't really see what a Coraline desktop has to do with anything, but nevermind that.

I'm with you. I don't know how I'd feel about that. Certainly, the movie didn't really tell the story of the book at all-- and in that respect, I'd be fine for a new adaptation. But there's no way any modern animation is going to have the same class and artistry of a Don Bluth production. No way at all. It would look like dirty rags compared to the original, even if it was made with the best technology. Team that made "The Secret of NIMH" were some of the finest animators of the last decade, and with the shoe-string budget that film received, it was their own passion for animation that drove it forwards.

I don't think stuff like that exists right now.

3. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Holy shit! Did I post that. I guess I still had it copies from an email I sent and the NIHM link didn't take (fucking macs)

Fixed.

Anyway, the look of "9" seemed to be what I was looking at for a potential look.

The Rats of NIMH Returning to the Big Screen - ComingSoon.net

4. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I would love to see a NIMH feature that was fleshed out more. And I agree that CGI wouldn't be the best route for this. it's too clean, polished and at times "plastic" looking.

Old Skool. All.the.way.

5. RedHeadKevin

RedHeadKevin Well-Known Member

I love the original Secret of NIMH, but they really butchered the book. I'm hoping they make "Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH." almost straight from the novel. Some of you are going to freak about this, but I'd almost want something (visually) in the vein of Stuart Little, Narnia, or even G-force. Real humans, realistic CG rats and mice. But PLEASE, I hope they keep true to the book, and not introduce a magic Sparkley.

6. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    Big shoes to fill. The Secret of NIMH was a fantastic animated movie.

In b4 childhood being raped, et cetera.

7. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No, I know what you mean. That's what I was imagining too, but with dirtier looking rats.

8. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Ok. I was just trying to remember if the movie had differed from the book at all. I remember really liking both as a kid, but could have sworn that the book was different (and better). Thanks for the confirmation! :) 

I agree then that I would like to see a movie follow the book more closely.

9. Caterwaul

Caterwaul Busou Shinki Loremaster

The book had less 'mystical' elements. Had a lot more on the rats history.
    Can they actually call her 'Mrs Frisby' this time around?

10. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

Hmm, if done right this could be interesting but how many properties that have been revived after 25 plus years actually honor or surpass anything previously? Guess I'll wait and see.

11. Drake

Drake Smooth Is Smooth Baby

I still have my paperback of the Secret of NIHM from when I was a kid around somewhere. The first movie is just pure win. I never saw the second one but I haven't heard a whole lot of good things about it.

12. Dremare

Dremare Had an Epiphany

I LOVE the story of "Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH". It's so awesome! I hope this movie will look as good as the original Don Blurth film (which will be hard to do).

13. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The second one was an abomination not even worthy of a rental (which I did).

14. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    I hope the do justice to the original and not totally screw it up like so many thing hollywood as touched lately and yes The day the earth stood still im looking at you!

15. GigatronSama

GigatronSama Mr. Insomnia Veteran

I can't say it would be fair to treat this as a remake of The Secret of NIMH. Those shoes are just too big to ever fill. If treated with respect, it could be an alternate adaptation of the book (which it seems that they're aiming for).

The secret of NIMH 2 DID NOT HAPPEN! It was a cash in, made during the direct to video craze of the late 90's, without the permission of Don Bluth, O'Brien, or any of the original cast. It gets no more respect from me than a Turkish knock off. Bluth even went as far as to denounce it in one interview.

16. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

If they are going to follow the book more closely, then I don't have a problem with this, the book is better anyways.

The movie is still amazing and I will always watch it and make sure my daughter watches it when she is older.