The Rant About Work/School/Life Thread [NO POLITICS]

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thelbert, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout ...and I'll whisper "No."

News Credits:
    Yeah, I know. I work part time. I needed to do exactly this to schedule not working the day I have a doctor's appointment just last week actually.
    My god you don't even know what I meant when I said dental, do you? Workplace benefits extend well beyond vacation days - health/medical insurance, 401K, stuff like that. Employees can cost far more than just raw salary rates when we're talking full time.

If you're not 18 or older, you aren't legally an adult, you're still a minor.

2. TFan2013

TFan2013 Energon Seeker

So you know then.

I know what a dental benefit plan is and no one has one. You specifically said dental plan and I answered such. And I do know of other benefits, but just cause they are offered to everyone doesn't mean we all can afford them. So if in the end, you can't afford them anyway, then what's the difference whether they are there are not. It doesn't.

I know? I and many others are adults. When you are fully available and still get chump hours, its an issue. Hence the initial rant that sparked this against the employers hiring more people instead of giving us those hours.

3. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    Where do you even work? I feel like that might explain a lot of context here

4. TFan2013

TFan2013 Energon Seeker

I'd rather not say. Its grocery though. Anyway, just wanted to rant my frustrations here. Sorry if it bothered you.

5. Grimlock22

Grimlock22 This is noise

My rant is simple: I got sent home from work before the first hour of a four hour shift was up because I'm ill. It sucks because I really need the money and today is one of the only days I've been scheduled for for the next paycheck.

Bright side I get another day off from listening to my (unqualified) chemistry teacher bitch at the whole class because of two dipshits! :thumb 

6. EnergonWaffles

EnergonWaffles Autobot's Head Chef Veteran

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    As tempting as it may be, keep the politics out of here please.
    You all have the rest of the internet to post to your heart's content on that topic!

Thank you!

• Like Like x 3
  7. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Since the urge to break our "No Politics" rule is apparently too strong, this thread will be closed for the time being.

Take your Rants about politics and the rest of it to other sites/social media platforms.

• Like Like x 6
  8. ABH1979

ABH1979 Veteran

Unlocked.

No Politics.

Rant away, if you must...

• Like Like x 3
  9. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

As a Star Trek fan.. I just have to say I hate CBS.

10. JaZzPrImE74

JaZzPrImE74 Sub to my YT Supreme J

News Credits:
    I hate the rain.

11. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

I've help many people and never asked anything in return but when I need help, nobody is there. Fucking bullshit.

12. Metroplex79

Metroplex79 Hey mouse, say cheese!

Kids today...how angry should I be at this?

4 Lethal Weapon
    5 Terminator
    4 Rambo
    3 Beverly Hills Cop
    5 Die Hard

The new millennium is filled with sequels, how was it possible the scores were so low?

Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  13. TFan2013

TFan2013 Energon Seeker

I don't think you can really expect help from others in this world. You can only act in kindness to bring some of it into this world and make it a better place. With that maybe just maybe, others will emulate you in turn. And thus, get you the kindness you seek. It's never a given though. Ever.

• Like Like x 1
  14. JaZzPrImE74

News Credits:
    Not sure why it's such a big deal to you. Besides terminator I don't blame them for not knowing. Not every younger person wants to watch old movies that are in 720p or worse. Then again I'm just trying to defend the younger generations.

Perfect response. 10/10

* We frown upon posting 2 or more posts in a row, so posts merged, use QUICK REPLY to quote more than 1 quote, imho works better than Multiquote in this system, keeps them in order and makes it easier to post your responses to each.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2017
  15. Macross7

Macross7 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Kids should be ashamed of themselves for some of that. That one girl didn't even know Arnold is an actor. WTF.

Too many kids today who think anything older then them should never be watched. LOL that they will go through life wishing Rogue One had a sequel. They think it sucks that the movie's cliffhanger will never get resolved. :D 

16. Goaliebot

Goaliebot All Makes and Models

News Credits:
    To be fair, those movies are ~30 years old. I went off to University in 1994, so let's say in 1995 someone had sat me down to watch 30 year old movies. That would have been films of the mid-1960's.

Let's go look up Films in the 1960s on Wikipedia:

I've heard of them, but never seen them. I believe Peter O'Toole was in Laurence and Elizabeth Taylor in Cleopatra...
    Ok, seen Psycho. There's one. They'd edit that response from me out of their video though.
    I know of the Pink Panther movies, mostly out of childhood disappointment they had pretty much no cartoon panther in them. Never watched them though. I know of Breakfast mostly through cultural references and a 90's song. Never seen it. Also know of Strangelove, but again, never watched it. Haven't even heard of the other two.
    • Beyond the trenchcoat and film noir, spy films expanded with worldly settings and hi-tech gadgets, such as the James Bond films Dr. No (1962) or Goldfinger (1964) and Thunderball (1965). This Spy mania extended throughout the world with many countries notable Italy and Spain producing many of their own fantastical spy films.
    Ok, old Bond movies. Never seen em.
    I have seen the remakes of Crown and Oceans. Can't tell you anyone in any of the originals. Never heard of Topkapi... unless it's a Pokemon.
    All right, Clint is an icon even today. Definitely know Clint Eastwood. Never seen his older stuff though, including all of these.
    This is my strongest area, naturally (neeeerrrrrrrrd) but even here I've only seen 2001 and parts of Apes. Barbarella and 10,000 years are posters in my friends' dad's den, and the rest are vague memories of questions I got wrong in old Trivial Pursuit games.

Now, I may well be uncultured swine, but I did major in Radio and Television and spent a year in Film classes. I've seen the terrible-but-cinematically-groundbreaking Birth of a Nation. I've watched Le Jetee in the original French (it inspired 12 Monkeys decades later). We analyzed the heck out of the cinematic history tent poles like Citizen Kane, Ben Hur, etc. Not one 1960's film in the year, though we well could have given the list up there.

So yeah: these 20 year olds can't name 1980's movies or stars well, but us 40 year olds may not do much better with movies of the 1960's and the 30 year olds with movies of the 1970's.

Ok so maybe many on here would, but out there not as much.

Nerds.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    I am certain blu-ray versions of Die Hard exist. That film is one of the greatest action thrillers of all time and is highly quotable. To say they aren't appealing because of lower film quality of the time is implying you never have seen the original Transformers film because its thirty years old.

18. JaZzPrImE74

News Credits:
    TBH animation isn't that bad for the G1 TF movie and series. My point was it's not like there's a problem with younger generations for not seeing older movies

19. Lazerwave

Lazerwave My Most Prized Treasure

News Credits:
    Same thing with me and the front desk girls. I do so much for them and when I ask them to do something they say do it yourself. Sometimes I have to get my boss to come out so they can do what I asked them to do.

20. Autobot Burnout

News Credits:
    But you still admit the animation is bad.

My point is that even using the basis of lower quality film as a major reason why the current youth generation isn't familiar with these films is completely unfounded because it's irrelevant.

In some cases, the dated appearance actually adds to the film with age. I.E. the original Robocop is a hokey film to be sure but the stop-motion, the high levels of blood and violence (that ironically came from them trying to tone it down), and the completely silly chemical mutation bit make it a classic sci-fi staple. The remake couldn't even come close so it didn't even try to be the same film.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.