The Raf misconception.

Discussion in 'Transformers Earthspark and Cartoon Discussion' started by KnightHawkke, Dec 16, 2010.

1. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

to start with he is 12, not 6 or 8!:peoples: 

There has been a lot of discussion as to the seeming unreasonable ability Raf has to use computers.. which highly dismays me.

Here are some words we need to consider:
    Intellectual Gifts
    Generational Learning
    Mathematics, the universal language.

The two big things I see people's problems with Raf's computer savvy fall under: How could he hack and interface with the Autobots and the Governments computers, the simple fact that the Autobots computer is at its base still human technology well falls under the simple fact of..

As has been proven with the proliferation of computers and generations of children gaining access to computers at much younger ages, the capability of younger folks to comprehend and learn operating systems is now beyond what it was even when I was a kid. That's a basic reality of learning.

As for hacking the Govt... that is cut and dry a plot device, which is rarely ever used well. The act of doing so in all reality is really really hard to pull off, to say the least. Thankfully the second time around (the radio telescopes) they at least added a limit to his ability which gave an ounce of reality to the situation.

The other major dilemma is his ability to understand Bumblebee's Artoo impersonations. if you listen closely at times it does sound like he (Bee) is trying to form words.. For example, in the opening moments of episode 3 if you listen close when Bee wins the race its pretty easy to make out him synthesizing "I Won!" which works fine for common and simple one or two word phrases. Oh No!, uh huh!, no way!, over there!, and things of that nature.

For a need to convey a more complex thought, there are many options of computer languages that Raf could have, with practice, had open knowledge of.. Granted, there was another small flaw in planning, there should have been a small amount of time pass where they could work on communications before they were chatting like old buddies to smooth the transition. (like episode 2 or 3)

Aside from some minor glitches in execution, Raf's abilities have fallen well within the capabilities of a 12 year old well gifted with understanding of mathematics and programming.

2. blurr69

blurr69 First time caller

Ebay:
    Hes just an over exaggerated "gifted" kid, imo. No more, no less. I would venture to say the same about the other two human roles >.>

Nothing even really needs logical explanation for me, when it comes to science fiction <.<

3. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Touche' I said what I did there because there have been some rather irrational reactions to it all, and I just wanted to help bring in some understanding!:thumbs2: 

4. nitewing73

nitewing73 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I have no problem with Raf. Like I mentioned in another post the 3 kids are for the younger viewers.

5. Thenames9

Thenames9 D-d-d-d-duel!

News Credits:
    It's a cartoon about giant robots who kill eachother, this isn't Sherlock Holmes :/

6. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    I think we overanalize stuff like this to the extreme.

Transformers Prime isn't real, It's a cartoon which means anything can happen. If a 12 year old genius can hack the government computers. Then it can happen.

7. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

perhaps, I think its a function of some of us getting old :lol 

8. bellpeppers

bellpeppers A Meat Popsicle

News Credits:
    I don't have any problem with Raf.

I understand the roles of the kids... and accept them..

9. Chopperface

Chopperface Chadwick Forever

News Credits:
    Raf is probably the most likable kid out of the three IMO, but no disrespect to Jack and Miko. I really like that he's so cheerful and pretty mature, even for being 12 (even though the promos called him 15). :D 

I was at first hesitant about Raf, mostly because his design evoked memories of that God-awful Johnny Test cartoon on Cartoon Network, so I worried that he would be that kind of hot shot personality. However, I was gladly proven wrong with the mini-series airing.

10. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Hah, I never noticed that, never got into Johnny Test much, but yeah, with Test and Miko on the same show.. that would have been far far too much.

11. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    The only thing that bugged me about Raf was the hacking the Government, but it doesn't ruin the character for me at all (I quite like him) and I forget it as quickly as it happens when I watch the episode.

12. Skottech

Skottech Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    As a cartoon genius kid he is rather a mild one (in comparison with Dexter 0f Dexter's lab or Jimmy Neutron)

is it just me or does it look like Raf has a form of Dwarfism?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  13. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    He is kinda small for 12...

14. Paxtin

Paxtin ...

...And a quarter.

15. Digilaut

Digilaut Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    He's a nice kid JUST LEAVE HIM ALONE WILL YOU?!?!!

16. jazzmasta32

jazzmasta32 Well-Known Member

Those are both comedies; you can't really compare them to a semi-serious toned show like this.

Raf's been okay for me. I can't really see him developing into a very notable character in the series.

17. Ash from Carolina

Ash from Carolina Junior Smeghead

I think I might have a simpler explanation for Raf.

We've seen that Anime shows were likely an influence for Transformers Prime.

Well if you've ever seen Cowboy Bebop then you will remember a character named Edward who was a 13 year old hacking genius. Raf being the gifted kid that he is might be a nod toward Edward. Since we already have Miko then Raf has to be a bit more grounded than Edward was. Plus if you think Raf could get into systems he's nothing compared to what Edward could do if she was the influence for the character.

18. Rampage01

Rampage01 knockoff of a knockoff

The Autobot computers just needed a quick reboot, Fowler keeps his facebook page very up-to-date, and Raf just clicked the 'undo' button each time Soundwave repositioned the satellites. It's easy to look like a super genius when no one else thinks of the simple solutions.

19. KnightHawkke

KnightHawkke Flynn Lives

Hah, that is a very valid point!
    I would buy 1.5 of those 3 however.
    Rebooting, .5
    Facebook, no.
    Undo, yes.

20. hulk23869

hulk23869 Well-Known Member

There's no way any human could plug their laptop into a government facility and hack their whatevers in a couple seconds, 12 years old or not.

Raf doesn't bother me nearly as much as Miko. She needs to be stepped on (I'm sure Bulkhead is thinking it too). End of story.