The Quality of Beast Wars

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GogDog, Aug 24, 2006.

1. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    I have always been a geewunner. I grew up with it, and around the time other stuff was coming out, like Beast Wars and such, I was in high school and had completely lost interest in such childish things such as cartoons and toys. But thats not for thinking that the original characters didn't have a special place in my heart.

About a year ago, when I started hearing about the movie, and that Speilberg was backing it, my mind was flooded with fond memories of my beloved cartoon and toy line. The renewal of my TF spirit came when I decided to download the original G1 series off bit torrent. I began watching it, and while it was nowhere near as good as I remembered, it was still pure bliss seeing my old fave Starscream begging for mercy from Megatron.

After that, it was all over. It all began with ebay, picking up some old figures that I had always wanted as a kid, but could never afford. Then I discovered the Alternators on the internet. When I first saw Shockwave as a purple RX-8, I drooled all over myself.

After I got my iPod, and fell in love with podcasting, due to the fact that I'm in a work van all day, and can't follow the radio except for in short bursts, I searched for a Transformers podcast. I found ***censored cuz I was ignorant***. The production quality wasn't all that great back then, but it was fun to pass the time at work. The one thing that I kept hearing that surprised me was repeatedly hearing how good Beast Wars was. I started noticing that a large majority of internet goers stated, when asked, that Beast Wars was their favorite series.

Well, I decided that it was something that I just had to do if I was to call myself a Transformers fan. I just finished watching Code of Hero. Wow. That had to be some of the best character development I have ever seen, cartoon, movie, or otherwise. From his Shakesperian-esque monologue after he steals the discs, to his final moments in "Hero," it was just incredible.

I am glad that I discovered this community that I had no idea was alive after 20 years. If for one reason only, its that I didn't have to miss out on Beast Wars.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  2. Menasor

Menasor Jibba Jabberin' Automod

I also grew up as a G1 kid but I would have to say that when it comes to story and character development,Beast Wars is definately the better of the two.

This site (or rather a previous version of it) was also the reason I got back into TF's again. I think I found the site back in 2000 when looking for music,signed up on the boards in 2001 and have been here ever since. Its also helped me open my eyes to other TF shows that I would never have known of otherwise.

So kudos to Beast Wars and this site

3. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I'm glad I saw Beast Wars as (for practical purposes) an adult. Most of the old cartoons of the eighties were rose colored in the fog of nostalgia and kiddie eyes. Transformers was one of the better cartoons of the era, but it's definitely not the masterpiece my child brain remembered.

Same goes for Thundercats. I loved to watch it as a kid, but now I can barely stand it on DVD.

4. CompuGlobal HyperMegatron

CompuGlobal HyperMegatron Nobody summons Megatron

I was first introduced to TF by my older brother, who was a "geewuner". I loved it, but I was so young that I can barely remember what episodes I saw. I remember the movie vividly, and when I watch the dvds, I remember seeing some action scenes before, but that's it.

When I got a little older and Beast Wars made its appearance on some Pay Per View thing on our satelite dish, we got it and watched it. I was hooked on Beast Wars from then on. Waking up early to watch it before school, and busting my ass with chores to get the next big toy. The funny thing is, though, now I'm becoming more interested in the G1 toys rather than the BW toys. I find myself wanting the toys I used to always play with, or daydream about after seeing my brother's catalog.

Funny how that works.

5. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

BW got me back into TFs too! I'd loved G1 but was resigned to just having good memories and the toys I'd saved up in my attic, but BW (and learning about the TF fan community) made me a TF fan for life. BW is also a great series to introduce people who love sci-fi, but shy away from cartoons. A friend of mind who loves sci-fi and "spotting Candian actors" got me into an old Brittish show called Blake's 7. I got her into BW on the argument that a lot of the characters share the same archtype personalities. She loved it! And while she'll watch G1 if I ask her she's really not into it. We both watched BM too to the end, but Mystic Op turned her off and Saladtron did so for me. Still, we're both looking forward to seeing the new movie.

And just for fun some B7 & BW comparison lines:

"Who died and made you Blake?"
    Vila, Voice From the Past

"Who died and made you Prime, Scaleface?"
    Rattrap, Chain of Command

"You've got an army of five, Blake. Five and HIM! Do you still think you can take over this ship?"
    Avon, Spacefall

"Yeah, heh heh. All five of us. You mean Chopperface is goin' with...We're all gonna die."
    Rattrap, Beast Wars Pt. 2

"You have to be careful. Some of the plants have an intelligence rating."
    "Well, that's a comfort. I would hate to be eaten by something stupid."
    Blake and Vila, Time Squad

"You see we've learned something."
    "Yes. From now on I shoot my dinner salad before I eat it!"
    Optimus and Dinobot, Gorilla Warfare

"Sentiment breeds weakness. Let it got ahold of you and you are dead."
    Avon, Terminal

"Careful Avon. Your sentiment is showing."
    Blake, Terminal

"Sentiment! The more time I spend with you Maximals, the more I wonder how you survived so long."
    Dinobot, Law of the Jungle

"Ah, Maximal sentiment. Oh, I must have been defective to defect."
    Dinobot, Coming of the Fuzors Pt. 2

"That's another one I owe you."
    "Don't worry at the proper time I will remind you."
    Blake and Avon, Redemption

"My actions did not imply loyalty Optimus. I owed you my life. Now we are merely...even."
    Dinobot, Beast Wars Pt. 2

"I don't believe in suicide. It stunts your growth."
    Vila, City at the Edge of the World

"Suicide is not in my job description."
    Rattrap, Other Voices Pt. 2?

"This is stupid Avon."
    "When did that ever stop us."
    Vila & Avon

"You realize this is crazy."
    "Sometimes crazy works."
    Rattrap & Optimus

6. PrimeConvoy

PrimeConvoy ShickaBAM!

I grew up watching G1 since i was about 3 and remembering have a lot of the figures, for a few years in my early teens I was out of the phase of transformers. But one day I was in a department store and seen Beast War Transformers and i was floored to see these guys as Beast bots. I remember there were 6 basic figures there and something came over me, I just had to get them. I didn’t even know of the show at that time, didn’t fine out about it till a few weeks after i got the toys, a friend told me about it. From that day on the love of transformers came back just like i was a kid all over again. Its funny cause when i started to get back into it and dug out my old figures, my mother told me about when i was a kid and when I first saw the show it was all I would talk about and there was nothing else. But several years back I sold off all my G1 and G2 figures to pay for some school issues. I've kept everything BW and on, BW was what made me appreciate Transformers again, it’s the line that brought back happy memories.

7. funkatron101

funkatron101 TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    New Sig!

8. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Cool man. Took me a while to accept BW too, but Code of Hero definitely helped! It's a great ep, and made Dinobot one of my favorite characters.

I think G1 is a lot like that first girlfriend in junior high. You'll always have fond memories, and you'll always remember it to be better than it actually was. I grew up during that era as well, but even the most die-hard folks can't ignore how exceptional the franchise has been for the last ten years.

I'd suggest finishing BW, then move on to Beast Machines with an open mind. Try to get the box set and watch it in big chunks, like four to six episodes at a time - it holds up quite a bit better that way. It's definitely different, but Beast Machines is some of the deepest, most well-developed, intelligent TF writing I've ever seen. A bit boring in a few places, but no other TF series expounds on the strengths and weaknesses of the characters to the degree that BM does. From what I'm able to tell, most BM haters mainly didn't like the changes that were made to their favorite characters, so that generates bad press about the series.

Racial genocide, religious fanatacism, retribution, immortal souls... yeah, definitely TFs for a more mature audience.

9. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    As another G1er, Beast Wars was a huge mixed bag for me... I loved the show, absolutely loved it. The characterization, the radically different plot, a SMART villain and threatening henchmen... but damn, did I hate the toys. The only normal beasts I bought off the shelf were the combiner sets, I didn't get any until Transmetals when they were at least back to robotic alt modes. The shellformers didn't impress me in the least, it seemed wrong to have organic beasts and more wrong to have such cheap transformations, it was like Pretenders with attached shells, any toy can be done by tucking a robot inside a shell.

But tastes mature and appreciation grows... fact is they modernized how modern TFs are done with more emphasis on molded and painted details instead of stickers, better regulated price ranges, and of course ball joints and high articulation levels. I find a lot of japanese figures I go after are old Beast Wars toys, some of my favorites are Stampy, Corahda, and BW2 Galvatron. I've got all of Hasbro's Beast Wars reissues as well.

I went from hating them to where I am today, a guy who paid $80 for the Beast Wars Reborn 01 set because I didn't want to risk Hasbro using the older molds, dumbing down the paint aps, or poorer joint quality, I gladly paid to make sure I had the best version of the two Beast Wars leaders possible. There's still a lot of Beast Wars I want, in a way I'm glad to skip it until now when I can better appreciate them, when I'm up to date on Cybertron and Alternators it gives me something to go back for that isn't too expensive yet. Just goes to show sometimes you have to wait before you can see how good something is.

10. prime is a legend

prime is a legend Hooch is crazy.

I love Beast Wars it was my first step into the transformers universe as i wasnt born in the 80's.

After watching beast wars I became interested in transformers history so i went back and started watching generation 1, which i enjoy but i'm sorry to say beast wars comes first because of all the memories I get from the time it came out!!

11. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    Congrats on getting into BW! I know I was apalled at the TFs becoing Beasts when the show first came out, but the show is awesome, and the characterization is unmatched. It's just a fun series. G1 will always be my favorite, but those who can't appreciate BW for what it is is really missing out:) 

12. Cheetatron

Cheetatron Eh

G1/G2 started my life long love of transformers but Beast Wars remains my favorite cartoon. Ongoing plot with the aliens, refrences to G1, casualities on both sides and even a Maximal killing another Maximal(a mass murdering psychpath who was forcefully alligned with the Preds) it was truely the first tf series where the creators really cared about the quality of their product.

13. Acidophilus

Acidophilus Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've always loved the G1 Transformers, but when Beast Wars was on TV, I thought it was kind of odd. The toys just looked strange, and very different from what I had as a child. After reading so much positive feedback on the internet about it, and finding the 2nd, and 3rd seasons on sale for $20 apiece, I decided to get it a shot. Wow, what a great show! The best written Transformers show ever, good voice work, and I loved how they keep the cast of characters limited. I know It was because of how expenise creating the CG models were, but it really worked out for the best, allowing for much better character development than if they tried to flood the show with so many as in G1. Beast Wars is a show that every Transformer fan should watch.

14. jet convoy

jet convoy Beast Wars Forever!!!

BW was the TF show I grew up with and probably my favorite Western cartoon. It was just so brilliantly done. The animation, plot, characters, dialogue, every single thing was TF perfection.

And Beast Machines, although not exactly as good, was definately excellent. Its my second most favorite TF series, and like others have said, although different, its an amazing show.

15. Switchblade

Switchblade Just a raggedy man

News Credits:
    Ah, good old Blake's 7. Man, I wish we could get the DVDs of that here in the US. :( 

16. Vangelus

Vangelus Long Live the New Flesh Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Odd thing to me: I actually think BW has gotten slightly overrated now.

Note that I adore the show, and certainly don't think it's -bad-. But, part of the magic of it was watching it back in the 90's with a mentality of "ehh, this is probably gonna suck, grr". It pulled such a turnaround on me, which enhanced my enjoyment somehow.

I dunno. It's still great, it still grips me, but I always dunno if I want to introduce someone to it by gushing about its virtues beforehand. Feels like it'll have a better impact if I just say "It's Transformers." :D 

17. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Yeah, I really had no expectations other than i heard it was good. Seeing the characters develop that I had no idea who they where, or even their names beforehand, left me with an open slate.

18. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Megatron? Is that you!?!?

Beast Wars rocks. It is a very well written and mature show. I didn't watch it until it debuted on DVD. I didn't buy it right away, however there was one sitting next to the last season on G1's boxed sets when I got that, so i said, What the heck and got both. After watching the entire season in about 2 days I was totally hooked and could not wait for the 2nd season, then the 3rd season. As a person who was born in 1977 and totally grew up in the 80's, beast wars was a welcome change. I think it was easier to accept as an adult. I cherish G1, however BW has replaced it as my favorite. I also like Beast Machines ! :D 

19. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Ok, just finished BW Season 1 again.

a few questions for everyone?

Whatever happen to the rest of the stasis pods?

Also, I noticed in the BA's first episode whenever her pod was entering Earth's atmosphere it showed her protoform face which looked like her Robot face. However, in AR's first episode it was more generic of a face. I was thinking if Inferno had been turned in a Maximal would still have had his Inferno face or more of a Maximal face? Thoughts...Suggestions?

20. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

my views

I myself am G1 lover, its where I got started, I actually bought all the BW seasons on DVD a few months back and watched them, I was pleasantly suprised, I however, don't think its this brilliant sci fi masterpiece lots of people made it out to be. Its probably overall a lot more cohesive plot wise as opposed to the original, but I didnt see too many diffrences, but from the toy standpoint, I can't stand the BW/BM toys and frankly most of the ones that followed. I mean Megatron(recycled names is another thing I cant stand) has a huge dinosaur head for a hand, it just looks so aesthetically(probably misspelled) unpleasing. I dont like the excessive uses of kibble or the lazy transformations, I mean, Primal all he does is turn his waste basically, just seemed it wasnt quite as creative. So in closing, a good show, the toys I could have done without.