The Purge is Coming - Looking for your input

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Rikerwota, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Rikerwota

Rikerwota Well-Known Member

*WARNING - WAFFLE AHEAD*

It has been 2 1/2 years since my last big toy throw-out - that was my last big move (from one end of the world to another, in fact).

Since that time I've moved into a decent job, had a pay raise and found the cost of living to be much less than what I'd previously been used to - groceries costing 100+ a week as opposed to 200+ for instance.
    I'm now paying $17-20 for deluxes instead of $30 a couple of years ago.

As a result of all this, my collection has expanded rapidly. Not only am I buying deluxes/voyagers without a second thought, but I'm also buying 3rd party toys. Hercules, Hegemon, Steelcore etc. and this year I actually went to the trouble to hunt down SDCC Bruticus (sorry if that's a sore point guys...)

I'm looking at my collection, mostly stored in stackable plastic containers (Vangelus isn't the only one...) because I don't have any display space in my apartment and I've decided it's time for another Great Purge.

I have a good idea about which lines and random figures I'm going to get rid of, but what I'm interested in is your input before I go through with it.

When did you know it was time to let go of figures?

Did you get rid of figures over time, or did you do it all at once?

Did you regret it, or have you never looked back?

Did you seek to make some money back, or were you a good samaritan and donate to charity?

Interested in hearing your thoughts :) 

2. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I just got rid of a bunch of classics and most of my Bay stuff sold in lots. Usually I donate but this time I did want money, especially for imports and exclusives. There's still way too much being stashed in bins though, so even more classics may have to go.

3. Akroyer

Akroyer Well-Known Member

1. When my shelves were full, crowded and I started looking at them and seeing all the cash I had spent. Rather than a cool collection with some meaning.

2. Mostly all at once. But I just started 2 weeks ago. I'm still adding to my sales list as I go through things.

3. No regrets so far, I had too many doubles. And figures I should never have bought. Things I bought because I liked it, but didn't love it if you know what I mean. Or buying for example a legends, deluxe and voyager of a figure. I don't need 3 versions. Or buying a case of 4 or more figures when I only wanted half of them.

4. Money. I only have so many hobby dollars. And I have rediscovered one from years ago I would like to get back involved in. So I am purging the unwanted to afford that instead. And cutting back on things I would have bought, but could do without when it comes to my TF collection. The TF collection is going to have to get back to the lines that are really important to me. Rather than the ones that just look cool. Which had been fine, when I had nothing else competing for my hobby dollars. But no longer..

4. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    im actually in the process of downsizing as well due to the cost of mainting my storage unit, buyers remorse on some items and wanting to just focus more on exclusives and figs I know I will keep

5. Knightdramon

Knightdramon Hasbro LIES to the US

News Credits:
    1) When certain figures were in storage for over a year without me ever looking for them.

2) Some figures at a time, depending on mood or need for cash at the moment\free time as well.

3) No regrets so far. Everything I've sold so far has come out in an improved version [example, sold my movie 1 leader optimus prime around the time I got Buster Prime] or I didn't care enough for it.

4) There are some figures I could make money off but preferred to donate to my sister for her collection, or to children I know. Usually what doesn't get sold at all goes to children. I'd rather hand a generations warpath, say, to a child than try to sell it to some guy two continents away for half the cost it had SHIPPED.

6. Ceerad

Ceerad Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I've purged quite a few times over the years.
    I usually wind up getting rid of most of the secondary or off screen characters in a line.
    Any repaints usually go. Anything that's really not all that fun to transform usually.
    Examples:
    I only have Armada Unicron left from that line.
    I only Have Rodimus left from Energon
    No Cybertron left
    Only main characters of Movie 1 and Animated (sold Blur, Sentinel, Wreck Gar etc)
    I only have 1 mold each of all my Alternators.
    I think the next purge will probably be ROTF toys

7. Victorysabre

Victorysabre Born to Transform

News Credits:
    I've gotten rid of huge chunks of collection several times over the past few years for a variety of reasons that I'm not gonna fill your thread with. Some times I've bought and sold the same figures a few times over in my previous see-sawing. But now I've more or less stabilized, I'll give you current outlook:

1) I let go of a figure if I don't like it. I'm done trying to have some kind of complete set or something and keeping figures I dislike because of it. This does sometimes mean I get a new figure and sell it not too long after, but what ya gonna do. For a big push of figures to happen now though... if my shelves are too crammed I start to take a closer look at my stuff and see how much I like them all. I'm not gonna have figures if I need to keep them in storage.

2) Bit of both. I tend to list figures as I decide to not keep them. Sometimes those figures sit around for awhile and other figures get added to that pile. Just do it to fit your own schedule.

3) I've regretted alot of the stuff I've sold, but I've finally found my primary focuses. Besides those core parts of my collections I just get random figures I like regardless of how they fit in to anything else.

4) Bit of both. I've donated sealed stuff to charity or given it to cousins/friends for birthday/holiday gifts. But typically I do sell stuff. I try to keep my TF budget more or less under control and selling my old stuff is usually how I pay for new stuff.

8. LadyStarscream

LadyStarscream Queen of Cybertron

I am thinking that it might be time to start letting some things go myself. I once tried to be a completist, but after so many repaints, reissues and similar style bots being released and re released, I have learned to be a bit more picky with what I buy. I guess that's a start.

9. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Prick, apparently

I only get stuff I'm interested in, always have. Well, there were a couple exceptions where I listened to people gush over a toy and pulled the trigger. Sold them FAST. So yeah, the best thing to do is simply just get what you like, and don't be a completionist unless you like the whole line.

10. Rikerwota

Rikerwota Well-Known Member

It looks like a lot of you have similar experiences to me, keep 'em coming :) 

I'm mainly looking at getting rid of my movie figures, except for RotF Leader Optimus and RotF Sideswipe.
    Also my Animated figures. I liked Animated well enough, but I prefer the classics/prime aesthetics, so bar Optimus, Prowl, Grimlock and Black Arachnia, they're all going to go.

There's a few classics I'm not into - Galvatron, Dinobot, just to name a couple - but until something better comes along they'll stay in the collection.

11. Barricade24

Barricade24 The Decepticop

News Credits:
    I know there was a point where the was a few movie figures a didn't want anymore. What I did to decide what I wanted to get rid of was "If I got rid of this, would I want to buy it again?" I pretty much went through any figure I knew I could get rid of and not worry about parting with.

Such figures included Crash Landing Attack, Scan Series Sideswipe, and mostly Bumblebees from multipacks. Pretty much all of them sold. The key is finding a price that is reasonable enough that you yourself would want to buy it.

I kind of got rid of stuff over time. To see what would sell and wouldn't.

12. JetFormers

JetFormers « Ultima Ratio Hecate »

News Credits:
    I gave my Leader Class Cybertron Optimus Prime complete to a 10yr kid that lived next to me before I moved. He loved it, but at the same time I only have a little regrets on doing it because of the fact that he was one awesome Optimus Prime figure, but it was nice seeing the joy on his face when I game him his first TF-Toy. And when that happened I lost all my Armada, Energon, And the rest of my cybertron toy in one hug box before I moved so I considered that being my purge :( 

13. Erland

Erland Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I used to collect several years ago and have had them all on shelves, now that I finally got back into collecting and I have moved to a new house, I have to find a new way to display them. I have been going through them slowly and some of them I ask myself, why do I own this one? When I ask that, it goes in the pile to be sold.

Right now I'm trying to fill out my Movie line and classics since I missed them both. Once I do that, I'm only going to be collecting ones that I actually want rather than whatever I find in the stores.

Right now I have loads of BW that I actually hate and i'm slowly trying to get rid of them. Especially the mutants and fuzors they are just ugly.

I also try not to get more than one of any single character or any repaints unless they are just straight boss..

14. Max Rawhide

Max Rawhide Well-Known Member

1) In summer 2007 I had bought figure number 500 with several other en route. I looked at the collection and realised that I only had space for 200-300 figures, several figures were bought for repainting and I simply didn't have time for it, and there were too many figures that I didn't really enjoy.

2) slowly and steadily. Usually put a bunch at the same time on e-bay or a local website and sometimes I sell a bunch at once, and sometimes just one per month. But the figures I've decided to sell is something that keeps on growing. I pick and choose.

3) Two kinds of regrets. First figures I've sold that since have increased in price I wish I had waited on. Two, Armada Megatron. I had both Megatron and Galvatron and wanted to keep one. Both would be kitbashed and I thought Galvatron would be a better base. I'm not so sure anymore and kind of regret selling Megatron.

4) TF's cost a lot if you don't live in the USA (as you apparently know yourself). So I'm looking to at least get my money back. Because that doesn't always work, I do try to sell figures that are worth more for the highest price I can get, so the loss on the others is compensated.

15. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I purged much of my Armada and Energon toys, mainly because I just wasn't interested in them on any level. I figured someone else would be, and for the most part I was able to sell the most of them. I used the money to purchase some of the G1 things I wanted much more.

16. kraven

kraven Decepticon

When did you know it was time to let go of figures?

When I realized that I could never have everything. For a long time I wanted a huge collection to contend with some of the folk here but after seeing so many collection threads of huge collections that all look the same I decided that there is no point to try to keep up. Collections like that are a dime a dozen anymore, so now Im only interested in things that I really want. It makes for a more unique collection and I have much more space. And I think that it makes the figures that I do have look a lot better. They stand out much more and get the attention they deserve, not just another bot in the wall. (p.s. I know that not all huge collections look the same, ive seen some mind blowing collection with tons of grails. Im more talking about current retail collections from the last 10 years or so)

Did you get rid of figures over time, or did you do it all at once?

Both. For a while it was letting go of stuff here and there but I just recently thoroughly went through my stuff, sold a bunch to bbts, and tomorrow im having a garage sale to hopefully off the rest of my unwanted items.

Did you regret it, or have you never looked back?

Nope, it feels so good to get rid of unwanted stuff. Makes more room for awesome stuff, I have more money, and much more space.

Did you seek to make some money back, or were you a good samaritan and donate to charity?

Making money back would be nice but I havent come close as of yet and I dont mind. I play fair, almost too fair me thinks. I figure if its open I slash the price by 1/2 - 2/3's. Even if it goes for much more online, I dont care, I figure its used and open and it just feels right to me to do that. If the item is unopened, I like to get atleast half of what I payed. I get a hard time from friends and family but its just the way I roll. I enjoyed the stuff while I had it so I dont mind paying a little for the time that I had it. I also gave about $100 worth of unopened TF movie 1 stuff to a toy drive last december. And dont get me wrong, I am not wealthy ($ wise, at least) by any means, but like I said, I just like to be fair and kind.

Nice topic btw :thumbs2: