The PSP - My long lost love

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Recall, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    I finally dug out my PSP from storage and was pleasently surprised to find how many games I actually have for it along with a number of movies. I hooked up the remote play feature with my PS3, updated it, downloaded some PS1 games (Bishi Bashi & Syphon Filter 3) direct to my PSP and pretty much fell in love with it all over again.

Its a handheld console I bought on a whim when it was first released and never put much time into it, but the more i do now the more i'm enjoying it. I love the clarity of the graphics and while bulky the overall feel of it. It just satisfies my gaming needs when not at home, and keeps my interest which to be honest is a little hard to do.

I'm still not overly keen on the loading times nor the shitty battery life but having the chance to play FF7 or Tekken: Dark Resurection on the go, is outstanding in my eyes :) 

What are considered some of the must have titles to own and does anyone else love their PSP as much as I? :D 

2. Hook

Hook The real Constructicon leader Veteran

News Credits:
    I love my PSP to bits. Graphics don't do the game, but it sure makes the handheld experience more fun.

In no particular order, my top 10 PSP games are:

1-Burnout Dominator & Burnout Legends - Just as thrilling as the PS2/XBox versions
    2-God of War Chains of Olympus - Truly one of the most visually impressive titles for the platform and every bit as satisfying as the PS2 games
    3-GTA Series - As much fun as the bigger console games, with little compromise
    4-Loco Roco 1 & 2 - Possibly one of the most original, silly and fun games out there
    5-Lumines 1 & 2 - If you're into puzzle-type games, get this. Awesome visuals and great music
    6-Metal Gear Acid 1 & 2 - Not everyones cup of tea, but I loved these turned-based card games
    7-Metal Gear Portable Ops - See Big Boss build his army! very innovative recruiting system and an all-around great MGS title once you get over the odd controls
    8-MotorStorm Artic Edge - Great racing game, just as fun as its PS3 big brother
    9-Patapon 1 & 2 - Pon! Pon! Pon! Pata-pata-pata Pon! Need I say more?
    10-Wipeout Pure & Wipeout Pulse - great fun in ad-hoc multiplayer or online

3. Boardwise

Boardwise There are no strings on me Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I've recently went back to mine and been playing some Mega Man Maverick Hunter X, trying to pick up the life tanks and extra bits before completing it.

4. Demonss

Demonss Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The PSP is one of the few systems I really have time to play anymore.
    I get home and I've got enough things to do at home that I don't sit and play my ps3 or anything. I do play some computer games.

But for those long 45 minute train rides every day the psp is the greatest!
    It's just an all around fun system.

Yeah the battery life could be better, but that's why I bought a speaker system that includes it's own battery, so I can dock my psp on it and keep playing when the batts get low. :) 

5. Murasame

Murasame 村雨

News Credits:
    I'd like to have a PSP too, but it's still too expensive. If I would still live at my parents, I would wish it for christmas, same with the PS3.

6. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    J'eane D' (motherfoking) Arc. That's an awesome game, and it's cheap through PSN if you have room for a digital download

If you can find a copy of MACH, check that out... It's Wipeout meets Ace Combat. Racing on Jets with Dogfights in between. The new Motorstorm is badass too, imo.

edit: oh and Resistance on the PSP is awesome as hell. In fact, it's made by the folks who did the Syphon Filters on PSP.

7. Hook

News Credits:
    Yes! I totally forgot about MACH. Must down.. Err Find the game and buy it!

8. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

I still need to check out J'ean D'Arc Prowl. I've been hearing more praise from it from other fellas too.

Bad news with my PSP is that I think my memory card might be broken. The good news though? I get an excuse to play my games all over again! :D 

One of my favorates for the PSP is Ace Combat:X. It's portable air combat, how can I not get all lovey dovey over that? Wish it had an online play option though, ad-hoc is the only multiplayer. Second down is Resistance: Retribution. This is a shooter that works really well with the PSP. Then the Syphon Filter games. Which speaking about SF, think they'll make another one with the fucked-up-ness that happened at end of Logan's Shadow.

Anywho, I could maybe go on all about my PSP experiences. I've wasted hours on it, sometimes I wont even play on my Xbox for a week(ish) because some of the PSP games are that awsome.

9. MegaPrime33

MegaPrime33 Follow me @NerdActivist

Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I too recently went back to mine. A friend of mine let me borrow Ultimate Alliance 2, which I didn't really care for, so I went back to Force Unleashed. Great game.

10. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Me & My Katamari and Lumines 2 are the last games I played. Lumines 2 is so addictive, but I tend to start seeing coloured shape blocks in my sleep if I play it too long at night :lol 

11. Triple Melter

Triple Melter EGG GANG™

Own many games for it that I have yet to play so I can't give a list. I've played MGS Acid and Portable Ops and enjoyed them both

12. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    It's stylized, smooth, great story and fun to play (Jean D'arc I mean). I still own Ace Combat on PSP. It's a great addition to the series, and there's nothing like having an F-15 in your pocket.... or two in my case :D 

Recall, have you played Killzone on PSP? It's not a FPS, it's more like Diablo, and it has story coop and shit. It's pretty awesome.

13. Hook

News Credits:
    Absolutely *love* Killzone on PSP. Isometric overhead view ans slick, responsive controls

Oh, also really liked Manhunt 2. Gory and violent!

14. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

No it isnt. :p  It's like a top down shooter where you have to dive and roll behind cover. It's more like..... uh.... Crusader: No Remorse but faster?

15. Eric

Eric VOTE.

News Credits:
    Is it true that you can download PSP games onto a PS3? Just wondering.

16. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Lately, it's been Motorstorm, Legacy of Kain (PS1) and Gran Turismo. I know, I know, it's been panned, but the game handles just like Gran Turismo, and playing it with the knowledges that every car I earn here will be mine when GT5 comes out, more than makes up for the lack of a true campaign mode.

17. Demonss

News Credits:
    It might be due to the fact the psp GO has no HDD.

And since you can dl the PSX games onto PS3 and port them to the PSP I couldn't see why the regular psp games wouldn't play..

Though I imagine they'd look silly..

18. Demonss

News Credits:
    That's my only Gran Turismo Gripe. I was looking forward to my campaign mode starting with a cruddy car and working my way up..

But..
    At least it's still fun!

And I've always got GT2 on my psp should I want the campaign mode!

19. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You can hook up PSP to a Television, and with the Go, you can tether the PS3 controller to it Via blutooth, but you can't play PSP games on your PS3, and I can kinda understand why.

And you can download PS1 games and play them on your PS3 and on your PSP and move the saves back and forth. Certain PS3 games also allow them to be played Remote play, like, I can have Final Fantasy 9 in my PS3 right now and control and play it with my PSP at work. So all PS1 games (including the disc ones) can be played VIA remote play from any WiFi hotspot.

I guess since it's on the PSP and I only get short playtimes on it, especially with all the games out there, just the collecting of cars is enough for me, because I couldn't devote that much time to it any way, but my collection is growing and when GT5 comes out, I'll have plenty of awesome Hi-Def versions of these cars to drive around in.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  20. Demonss

News Credits:
    Yeah.. I'm ok with it, I just REALLY REALLY hope they make sure to add the campaign portion to the ps3 version.
    I'll be disappointed if it's not.. that's always my fave part.