the pros and cons of removing the limits on botcon toys

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by MegaHavok, Jun 7, 2011.

1. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ok so the botcon exclsuives sold out again right?? So those of use who couldn't go for 1 reason or another are left trolling ebay and fighting over the few remaining toys. Then i notice this guy

almar ent | eBay

135 botcon auctions. Granted some of them are relists but still, Damn.

This cycle of a very small group of people buying up all the collector club exclusive toys flipping them on ebay as the rest of us panic and fight over the scraps is ridiculous

I understand that Funpub has to sellout to gain their money back but this is costing non attendee fans a ridiculous amount of money.

What are the options here?

The simplest answer is we just stopped bidding so high on these toys that aren't as rare and valuable as we want to think but really that wont happen.

Should con exclusives be offered to non attendee club members only ??

Should Fun pub restrict sales to 1 per badge no matter what??

Or is this just the way it is?

2. CookSux

CookSux Infectious Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    "Or is this just the way it is?"

You honestly think Fanpub cares about its fans?

3. Wyvern

Wyvern Velvet Sanchez

News Credits:
    They have to care a little bit. I mean without us how would they make money?

4. MegaHavok

MegaHavok Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    by selling to scalpers of course

5. LeTigre

LeTigre Meat popsicle

Part of me wonders if they don't take a bit of glee, maybe considering it a job well done when the exclusives are selling in a bidding frenzy on eBay.

6. Geof7609

Geof7609 Brake Pioneer

Regardless of what happens to the toys once they're sold, "convention exclusive" is pretty self-explanatory. If I don't / can't go to a convention, I don't / can't buy the exclusive toys there.

I would've loved to have bought all those multi-colored Hal Jordan figures from two years ago at $20 each, but I didn't go to the conventions they were sold at. So, if I really want them now, I have to look at paying 2-5 times that amount from whoever happens to be selling them. Should I blame DC Direct for this? Should I blame the people who actually went to the convention & bought them, even in large quantities? Ultimately, I just have to accept that this is what I have to deal with if I don't attend myself.

Sure, it'd be great if the Hasbro / FunPub offered their con-exclusives to non-attendees as a regular practice, but they're certainly not required to. And they're no more obligated to place a limit on sales there than Hasbro would be to do so at a retail level.

7. Thundershot

Thundershot The guy with 28 Sweeps

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I wish they would leave 50 sets a piece behind for non-attending club members. Make a one per member limit.

8. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Threads like this happen every year:lol 

I've just learned to live with it because this has been going on for almost a decade now. I remember being pissed off during the early 00's because all the Cobra Crimson Vipers sold out and people were flipping them for a nice profit. I could afford the con prices, just not the 200-300 dollar Markup

Seems like scalpers are everywhere and into everything. When was the last time you tried to buy NFL, NCAAF, or tickets to see a big name band? Scalpers flood ticketmaster, buy up as many seats as they can and then put them on ebay, craigslist, or their own web site. They seem to make big money doing it too, watch the news during bowl season. "Rose Bowl tickets are going for 1500-2000 dollars a seat online". That is frustrating to me because I'd love to attend a BCS or Super Bowl game at least once in my life but the prices just push me away. Yeah I jumped off topic but whatever lol

What we should do is organize some type of payment program with a guy actually going to the con. Maybe a month before the event, find a trustworthy person and offer to pay him X amount of dollars to snag the exclusives. That way he gets some green in his pocket and knows he just helped out some desperate transfans.

Outside of that, your cries will be ignored lol. I'm just happy FP is going to up their production numbers next year so I can get both Decepticon Cars!:D 

9. HighPrime

HighPrime Wake up with the King!

News Credits:
    This is EXACTLY what I did... but 3 months in advance. Bought a Primus package to get the freebie and the guy(with plans already to go to Botcon) stood in line to get all 3 exclusives for me. His benefits were:

He was able to bring someone else along free of charge since I bought their ticket, and I paid him some additional cash for his troubles.

Everyone won on this one.

10. Swoop Dogg

Swoop Dogg me King!

News Credits:
    I certainly understand what you are saying, but if FunPub is actually considering keeping Botcon at the same location every year (i.e. Pasadena according to the rumors) then "convention exclusive" becomes "west coast exclusive" and a good number of fans would be excluded from ever getting the chance to get these toys.

11. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    The guy in question probably had a dealer booth there and took tradeins from people that didn't want the toys, plus had staff that he gave cash to to max out what they could buy with their badges. He took the risk that he would earn a profit on his time above and beyond the toy cost, CA sales tax, and eBay and Paypal fees.

But with that many auctions running at once, you're competing against yourself. I would have sold a handful each week instead.

12. soundwaverulls

soundwaverulls Well-Known Member

I do not live in america and I cant afford to go to America.
    So exclusives just piss me off.

13. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Well, I can't afford a trip to Japan, but I still find a way to buy Takara TFs.

14. bulletthebluesky

bulletthebluesky Mmmm... Beer

Really? That's kinda lame... Oh well, I have been wanting to make it out to Cali some day...

On topic, an exclusive is just that. If you can't make it to the convention then you have no gaurantee to get the figure. At least now, with ebay and other online vendors, you have a chance to get the figure at all. (Even though it's at crazy-ass prices) No need to get bothered by it. I've come to accept that I will never have every TF that I want. :2c: 

15. Jetbolt

Jetbolt Maximal Air Commander

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Flickr:
    I think we new system. Perhaps have a online contest type of deal. Have it where there is a code on a figure, put it in and your either going to win a free Botcon set or not. To keep greedy people from ruining it, members would be require to have a account. Each figure will have different codes, nobody will know which one is right. Once you put in the code, the figure name will pop up and you wouldnt be able to buy the same figure again and try it. A winning code would be active only once and then a new winning code would be active.

So if 1,200 Botcon sets were made, if your lucky you can be one of the 1,200 winners and get the set. This way everybody has a equal chance to get a Botcon set.

16. videriant

videriant Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I do not think Fun Pub should restrict the items. A lot of people think that if FP restricted the items to 1 per person that more would be available at the club store but that's not true. If there was a 1 per limit then FP would make a lot less of each items which would make them even more expensive on ebay.

The first part of the answer is what you asked. Restraint on the part of people. It's a fact that the prices are highest the week after the con and then drift down once everyone gets back and puts the items on ebay. Just wait. The second part is what chris mentions below, make friends on the board and get them to buy the items for you.

Actually, most threads start as bitching thread. I like the discussion part of this thread. Let's see whether it degrades or not.

Your payment option is correct. People should make some friends on the boards instead of bitching about ebay prices.

That applies to all exclusives not just Botcon. Exclusives exist for a reason. I understand your frustration but I'm sure you understand it's not Hasbro or Botcon's fault.

The available to club members toys are the boxsets. There's a pretty nice discount for being a club members versus not.

EDIT: As for you suggestion of keeping some sets for board members that puts them in a tight spot because how can they decide if they should keep 20, 50, 100 sets for members. What's the magic number. And how do they decide how the ones they keep back are sold. There's enough complaining about how the 50-60 slots for the custom class is filled. This would cause a similar uproar.

17. Maetel

Maetel Well-Known Member

um what? that doesn't really make any sense, are you proposing fp give away 1200 sets free? or do you mean increase every one's memb fee to cover the cost of the 1200 sets but raffle it out so now every one pay $200+ for memb fee but only few will get any substantial benefits? or do you mean the $40 membship gets you a chance at buying the set?(which is what the current system is, first come first served, except you want to put in additional hoops the members have to jump through, not even for the toys themselves but just a chance at getting the toys)

club member benefit is already pretty thin as is, $40 gives you the privilege of ordering club exclusive toys and that's pretty much it, other items in club store aren't any cheaper than your local retail stores. i imagine registered botcon attendess will drastically reduce if most people know they won't get the toys even after spending thousand dollars to fly to the convention. law of unintended consequences, by making it harder to get the set it will only result in even more insane ebay markups, because no matter what you do, some people will value hard cash higher than botcon toys, and some one who makes $500 an hour will be willing to spend the crazy money just to have his set.

the way all fans can have a chance at getting the exclusive toys is to reduce difficulty of obtaining them. fast cash transactions between attendees and the club and subsequent non-attendees to attendees is pretty much the simplest system there is.

18. Cax6ton

Cax6ton Insufferable Smartass

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Echoing the aforementioned points: If you're serious about wanting the toys, then you either

A) Plan ahead to secure them through contacts you have made. It's one of the fringe benefits of being friends with other collectors. Talk to people online. Attend local meetups and conventions. In addition to making friends that have a common interest, you end up with resources to use to help each other out.

or

B) Have patience and see what the prices level off to, or wait for desperation sales or fortunate finds elsewhere online. This isn't the 2007 set, it's a no-brainer that the prices aren't going to stay at $150 for each exclusive figure. Look at the prices for the last several years' exclusives.

This isn't a hobby of convenience by any means. If you want some of this stuff, you have to work hard to get it, or pay a lot more. Kinda like the rest of life.

19. VictoryLeo19

VictoryLeo19 Well-Known Member

Paying an extra hundred dollars for one figure for me, is a hell of a lot cheaper than paying 1000 dollars to fly to the west coast. Botcon only comes around once a year, so I don't mind seeing paying a little extra.

20. transformers32

transformers32 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Suck it up and drive on. Every year these threads pop up and people cry and complain that they cant get the EXCLUSIVES at botcon. Well try and save up and go to botcon and you will have the chance to get them. If you cant afford it then too bad as noone makes you collect transformers. The guy that has all them on ebay isnt really making alot as they went up this year and he will have to pay ebay fees. We have a whole year to save up for the next con start saving....