The Promise - Starring Oscar Isaac & Christian Bale

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Wolfguard, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Wolfguard

Wolfguard Your own personal Jesus.

2. Gordon_4

Gordon_4 The Big Engine

News Credits:
    That's gonna be a powerful one, and quite the cast too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Wrecker217

Wrecker217 There's a 50 character limit to titles. Now you kn

News Credits:
    Looks like a must-watch. Hardly see anything about the Armenian Genocide in media.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Rusty24

Rusty24 Well-Known Member

This wasn't on my radar for some reason, but it looks really good. It's an interesting subject I haven't seen a movie cover yet. The cast and crew are great too.

On a related note, it sure seems like we're getting a lot of WWI era stuff right now.

• Like Like x 1
  5. lars573

lars573 Well-Known Member

Look at the calender. WW1 was a 100 years ago. Right now 100 years past the Battle of the Somme was about half way through. And half a million were already casualties (over a million will be casualties when it's over).

My real problem with this movie is that it will skirt any and all context of the late Ottoman Empire. And leave out any mention of the Young Turks revolution or the three Pasha's coup. And just make the Ottomans villains.

6. Galvatross

Galvatross Swamp Lord Shrek-traoridinairre! Veteran

Thanks for posting this. It will be interesting that's for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wolfguard

It's going to center mostly on Isaac's and Bale's characters and their story, as opposed to all the other aspects which drove the forced change of ethnic and religious demographics in Turkey. The premise of the movie is about them during that time.

I would use "Valkyrie" as an example: It focused primarily on von Stauffenberg and his group who attempted Hitler's assassination, not Hitler or his inner circle. Hitler - even though he is the end game target of the main character - is NOT the most dangerous OR most important aspect of the movie; it's the decisions of the conspirators, the secrecy, the near misses, the people who were affected by the failed attempt on Hitler's life, and the bravery of those who went through with the plot knowing that if, AND WHEN they failed, their execution was inevitable.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  8. Wolfguard

9. Galvatross

Anybody watching this in theaters? I will definitely be checking it out. A lot of people I know are promoting this movie, and some have even bought out theaters. Some friends who have seen it said it was good.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Wolfguard

I will be going for sure.

The story is so important - most people don't know much about the events of 1915 and they really need to, especially in light of what's been happening in the same places in Turkey for the past 2 years.

11. Wolfguard

Interview with Bale and Issac about the movie and why it was difficult to make and release it:

12. areaseven

areaseven Live to Win

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    It's a shame the movie won't use the When in Rome song.

13. Autoboticon

Autoboticon In like a Bot, out like a Con

So gonna see this

14. Galvatross

My (mostly) non-spoiler review

Positives:

Christian Bale and most of the other actors are great.

I like many of the minor and supporting characters for who they are.

Great scenery. My only nitpick would be that I wish there had been more scenes taking place in arid or desert landscapes, but Anatolia has a variety of landscapes and natural habitats, so I really can't complain. And what was shot was beautiful. I like how they replicated parts of the mountains of Cilicia.

Great music.

The movie definitely has some great moments. I personally loved the ending scenes a lot.

It has Komidas Vartabed in it!

Negatives:

I think the movie would have been stronger had it focused less on the romance and more on the other aspects of the characters. Their other aspects were their more interesting traits especially given the context of the Genocide, and I think it was distracting from the Genocide at times (although not all of the time). Yes, show the romance, but focus a little less on it, which leads me to my next two complaints.

First, I would have liked to see more of the Battle of Musa Dagh in it. It did not really feel like forty days whatsoever. That is what the movie should have focused more on.

Second, Sarafyan's character, Maral, should have been given more to her character.

Finally, I really think future Genocide movies should be R-rated. For a PG-13 movie it did not do bad, but I think R-rated Armenian Genocide films would be better for the subject matter. Also, make them smaller budget.

If you want to check it out do so. Overall I wasn't blown away, but it definitely did have some things I loved in it. It is important that people know their history and learn from it. I would say I liked it, but I also hope that the next major motion picture about the Genocide (if there ever is one) is better.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Wolfguard

Thanks for the review, Galvatross!

I'm going to see it tomorrow evening with a friend. I've talked to her about this before, so I think this movie will help put it into context for her.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Galvatross

How did you and your friend like it? Also, has anyone else seen the film?

• Like Like x 1
  17. Zorrakh

Zorrakh Well-Known Member

I just found out about this movie recently, and I really want to go and see it. I am a quarter Armenian, so I want to learn more about what happened a century ago. I only know a little bit, so hopefully this movie can help inform me and others.

Sometimes I think about how I wouldn't exist if it weren't for the genocide; it makes me feel weird... :confused2  It really is an interesting thing, that such horrible events in human history can create new life.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Wolfguard

We both liked it - my friend is pretty direct about stuff, and right away she said "that was good." Honestly, I had to keep my composure in quite a number of scenes. Ever since I attended the march in LA in 2015, I've felt what I can best describe as "the weight of 100 years." The images and people I have seen...it's as real as it gets. To know you are standing next to people who's parents and grandparents survived a genocide.

19. Zorrakh

Zorrakh Well-Known Member

I just got back seeing it with my wife. I could only hold it together until the very end, right before the credits started. My wife started tearing up at the end of the second act and it was pretty much constantly for her all the way to the end. We both somewhat held our composure till we got home. All I can say it is a powerful film and I'm so very thankful it was made.