The Problem

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Kit, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Kit

Kit My awesomeness is logical

At the age of 16, I am wedged firmly between the generally accepted age to buy Transformers as toys and the generally accepted age to collect them. I love Transformers - the intricacy of their design, the practically endless play value...in short, they're awesome. But I am held back by what I have christened the Problem. And it is twofold.

Firstly, my parents consider Transformers to be 'dolls' and I may as well buy a Barbie doll. As I am sure everyone will doubtless realise, this is a useless and pathetic argument but I am unable to win them over just yet.

Secondly, the other week I tried to buy ROTF Deluxe Soundwave without parents' permission. The cashier looked at the toy, then at me. He said:

"Young kids buy these. Mature collectors buy these. You don't. Go away and sort your life out."

Can anyone help me to overcome the Problem? And does anyone else have the same predicament?

2. newguy

newguy i

WTF??? If the clerk really said that to you, ask to see the boss.

Just say to your parents, "I'm a nerd. You got a problem with that?"
    I lucked out. My dad used to watch Transformers up to beastwars. Sure he would prefer if i saved up for a car, but i just pull that line, and it shuts him up.

3. rikkuluverx2

rikkuluverx2 scout

News Credits:
    im 16 too. im somewhat in your situation too, but you can say its "Watered down". well anyways. if your parents have a problem with it just tell them...

"i could be doing worse things, such as doing drugs, drinking, smoking, etc."

i usually tell that to my parents/family...not unless you do, do that stuff at our age o_O ...

-rikkuluverx2

4. Zherbus

Zherbus In Shogo Hasui, we trust.

News Credits:
    Tell them that while you're collecting plastic toys, other kids are knocking up girls, drinking, getting killed in car wrecks, and smoking weed. They got off easy.

Firstly, that's a 'cool, let me talk to your manager' worthy comment. Secondly, he's a cashier. He doesn't exactly have a lot of breathing room in the 'sort your life out' department.

5. Rodentus prime

Rodentus prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Part of becoming an adult is doing what you want to rather than what other people expect you to do, there's nothing wrong with not following the herd and being your own person.

6. KingGrimlock

KingGrimlock Assuming Direct Control

Really, who cares what anyone thinks of you, don't let anyone change what you enjoy doing.

7. newguy

newguy i

Yeah. Just sack tap them and say, "Bow down to the nerd bitch,".

8. firehawc_69

firehawc_69 cloppers = ignore list

News Credits:
    That's not much of a problem. I have a solution: Grow a pair.

9. M3GATRON

M3GATRON Well-Known Member

Im 29 years old i go to toy stores all over the place searching for my plastic crack. Who cares what anyone says do what you like to do which is collect TFs. If anyone says anything just say its either this or Heroin. LOL

Your 16 and in high school its a very judgmental place but if you stick to your guns and who you are everything will work out much better. Thats pretty much what being an adult is truely being who you are.

10. heshanj

heshanj Banned

News Credits:
    my parents dont support my collecting but theyre cool with it now.. but anytime i get a 'ur spending too much on these', thats wat i always tell em :D 

and u really shouldve done somethign about that cashier.. people over here wouldnt dare say something like that.

11. SilverDragon

SilverDragon YEAH TOAST!

News Credits:
    I was 16 last year and I didn't get crap like that. Maybe it's country specific.

12. SharkyMcShark

SharkyMcShark Hi. I'm better than you

News Credits:
    My dad was always the one behind my collecting back when I was a kid - he'd always be on the lookout for shelves and display stands, always take an interest in the new TFs coming out, and back when I was little occasionally surprise me with one when he got home from work. Hell, he's even got Alternators Hound sitting in his office now.

Mum always took the "well at least he isn't getting pissed out of his mind every weekend" view.

13. Wazzpinator

Wazzpinator is playin ODST

My parent's don't care much for it, but my elder brother always has my back, he works at The Silver Snail, so he puts the good stuff on hold for me.

:D 

14. eisen

eisen "CUT ME SOME SLACKS!"

my parents supported my collecting throughout my childhood, hell you can even say they created it... i can say that cashier probably had no childhood to speak of. just shrug off those kinds of comments. you'll be a better man.

15. SlipKnotDrifter

SlipKnotDrifter I love ROTF :P

I'm in the same boat as you, but most of the time, I just blame it on my little brother, and I'm picking a toy up for him. It works, but not always.

16. ZombiePrime

ZombiePrime Zombicon Destroyer

the parents:
    I totally agree with saying that its better than doing drugs or drinking or whatever. Depends on what your grades are looking like. If you are doing well tell em its your stress release and to back off. When I was your age my parents were a little weird about my collecting (which was comic books, transformers, punk records, and horror movies) and the countless hours I spent looking for all of that, but as long as I did good and school and ventured out into the world to be social they were cool with it.

the cashier:
    do the same thing to piss them off as you would do to the cops and say: "Hey jerkwad, my purchases pay your salary" and then ask to talk to the manager and right in front of them say that maybe in this economy people who valuie their job shouldn't be so eager to get rid of them....and then ask for a job.

17. butz

butz slippery when wet

With the parents, it might be wise to wait till you're a little older to go the full-blown collector route; at least until you have your own job, income (not just allowance), car, etc. (assuming you don't already, that is.)
    For the clerk, its none of their damned business what you buy (unless its cigarettes or stuff for a meth lab or something). I'd complain to the managment that they were rude to you; would you want them making comments like that if your mother sent you to the store to buy tampons for her?

18. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    First off, never be ashamed of what you do. Everyone on these boards collects (or plays with :) ) the plastic crack just like you. We understand the rush and enjoyment.

So your parents don't support what you do . . . I know it's tough but if you love what you do it's time to mature a little bit and tell em "hey, this is my hobby, my passion." Be proud of what you do and they'll eventually return the respect.

And this cashier guy . . . WTF? Go back to that same store, go back to that same guy with about 30 or 40 toys, make him ring them all up, bag em all up and when he gives you the total be like "Whoops. I forgot my wallet." And just walk out. I've worked some cash registers in my day and THAT PISSES ME OFF! Seriously though, who gives a shit about him. FTW man, do what you love.

19. brr-icy

brr-icy G1 Collector

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    my parents pulled the same thing, made me sell them all, i ended up getting into drugs bad, now, i've been collecting again for four years and haven't touched drugs the entire time, coincidence, maybe, maybe not

20. the (H)i(GH)con

the (H)i(GH)con raver-in-diguise

As for your parents, that's just the way some people are. My parents have always thought that anything I'm doing that isn't work or school related is a waste of time, including my plastic crack addiction. Just don't let it bother you. If that's what makes you happy, then keep doing it. (Also, read my sig and remember it as you go through life; it's crude and to the point, but it's VERY true in most cases) Or, you can show them a few Frenzy_Rumble ebay auctions...... lol
    As for the cashier... Since your story didn't end with "and then my parents had to bail me out of jail", you definately handeled it better than I would have. What you should have done- Asked to talk to the manager and got him fired. What I woulda done- friendly advice: don't EVER do what I woulda done. lol