The prisoner scene really bugs me

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Shizuka, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Shizuka

Shizuka Optimus Prime's scriptor

News Credits:
    I felt that it ruined the pace of the movie simply to live up to some sort of stereotype where someone on the good guys' team has to die. I'm not even sure this has something to do with the fact that we don't see how the Autobots got captured. Ultimately it felt like bad writing, as if the writers just put the idea in at the last minute or something. Maybe it's just bad editing.

But the fact that the movie goes from an Autobot comeback to a staged event just so someone can die just really bugs me. It was an effective scene but the death of an Autobot could have been better integrated into the film.

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    I think it was meant to drive home the gravitas of the battle as well as the cruelty of the Decepticons, but you're right, it sort of messed with the pacing of the film around it.

3. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I just wish I actually felt something when Que died. He wasn't seen enough or had enough impact in the film for me to have formed any connection to him before he bit it. He's basically first seen trying to say hello to Mearing, then later handing out some boomsticks, and then later he's killed. It was sad only for the fact he seemed like he had some real character to him to enjoy if he'd had more to do.

4. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    It bugs me that the Cons bothered taking prisoners. Whatever happened to gunning down your enemy in the thick of battle?

5. Puck Hockey

Puck Hockey Well-Known Member

I for one felt terrible when Que went out. He was an innocent old man who didn't want to partake in battle (or the war probably).

It was a good concept, but its execution was not the best. Too many people can ask "how did they get caught?" and "why didn't they fight back?" Swipes says they surrendered and it can be assumed Soundwave surrounded them and they stepped down to prevent losing more numbers but we should not have to assume. Plus, once Que died, they should have known that they weren't getting out alive without a fight. Again, more robot screen time is the key issue.

6. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I was bugged because just as Bumblebee was going to get executed I was hoping when the ship crashed and distracted Soundwave that Bumblebee would quickly transform into car mode, fast reverse backwards between Soundwave's legs and then change back to robot and grab Soundwave from behind and kill him. Would've been cool. My sudden expectations and hopes made the actual outcome seem a bit disappointing by comparison.

But I recommend people watch that bit again and imagine from the way the scene was staged Bumblebee doing the transform, reverse, transform, grab and kill. It's an entertaining mental distraction at the very least.

7. FanimusMaximus

FanimusMaximus Kuphead

News Credits:
    It's like the roles are reversed:

Autobots take no prisoners.

Decepticons take prisoners.

8. Jakest123

Jakest123 Well-Known Member

Bumblebee should've died -it adds to the tension (or whatever they were aiming for). The ship still could've crashed, but Soundwave is like, Decepticon Third-In-Command and Bumblebee is a scout. Logic dictates Soundwave still would've bested Bumblebee.

9. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    It felt like it should have been... somewhere else. It's not a bad scene at all, and it totally fits in the movie, but I think it could've been put maybe eariler in the Chicago part. It seems like it was misplaced, like Sam's talk with his parents. I mean, it literally breaks up the Sentinel going bad thing for awkward family talks. It really couldn't have gone somewhere eariler?

10. DeXaPiTaToR

DeXaPiTaToR Well-Known Member

it had soundwave that is the answer

11. indie

indie Guns! More guns!

Well, if Sam can take down Starscream, Bumblebee can kill Soundwave. Hell, in Bayverse, he probably could kill Megatron!

12. jru42287

jru42287 Where are my testicles, Summer?

News Credits:
    Oh man, that scene with Sam's parents was sooo out of place.

13. Krueger

Krueger Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or not in the film at all. Seriously, the scene with the parent’s adds nothing. I know people say that it adds motivation for Sam to go and get Carly, but that message already came across when he was hurriedly looking for her in their apartment. It should have gone from him looking for her in their apartment, to Washington and then to him finding her and Dillon. It’s a horribly placed scene and serves as a perfect example of poor editing and directing.

14. reep15

reep15 Well-Known Member

I really think that this scene was perfect in the movie. Sure it set the pace off a bit... but I think that the audience needed a breather for a couple minutes. But Bumblebee, I really feel like he should have died. I know that he is an iconic character and he is what makes the money... but killing Bumblebee off would really drive home the idea of this is war and death happens. I really would have been fine with a few other characters dying in the final battle. Like Optimus, Leadfoot, Topspin, Dino... I really would have liked to see the Autobots just win by a bit. Also... some of the Decepticons should have survived. This is just my feeling and I by no mean think that Bay is a bad director or the editors. Just the opposite.

15. Cogar

Cogar Follower of the Code

Although all of the Decepticons in the film apparently died, even the non-Transformer-literate audience would know there are more where they came from.

That said, the idea of "mandatory death" on either side is ridiculous. You need characters for the audience to follow in any film. Having existing characters with a backstory makes the characters more interesting and increases audience involvement. Having to establish new characters (the Wreckers or the Dreads for example) leaves people wondering "who are those guys and where did they come from?" It doesn't serve the plot if they are only background material.

Oh wait, this is a Bay film. No plot required. Sorry. Let's blow up some stuff.

16. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Yeah, exactly...

A) The Autobots sure as hell took no prisoners when they could have (Demolisher, Sentinel etc...)

B) The Decepticons only decided to execute their prisoners upon a demand from a HUMAN... WTF? That's as bad as Sam telling Bee when to turn, how fast to go, when to shoot, what their objective is ("We have to protect Sentinel!!!") during the highway battle scene. That bugged the shit outta me, the fact that these bots apparently didn't know what to do without instruction from the Earthlings.

17. Prowl

Prowl Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Or the human who enlightened the Decepticons that examples must be set, when Soundwave was perfectly fine taking prisoners :) 

18. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

People, it's not taking prisioners, it's taking hostages, having Optimus' friends under the barrel of your gun is a good way to make him surrender [since he's basically unstoppable], Soundwave was being pragmatic, not soft-hearted.

19. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    So Autobots are dicks and the Decepticons have courtesey. Man no wonder why I dislike the Trilogy.

20. ARCTrooperAlpha

ARCTrooperAlpha Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    overlord, i think you're over-reaching here. They were prisoners, Soundwave himself said so. Hostages are only good if the guy you wanna blackmail knows and sees it. Soundwave wasn't pragmatic when they executed Que, he was stupid when he listened to Dylan.