The Prime Strategy

Discussion in 'Transformers Robots In Disguise / Prime Discussion' started by Brooticus, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Brooticus

Brooticus "You bred Raptors?"

News Credits:
    Launching a brand new Transformers TV series with nary a toy to be seen? Preposterous. Idiotic. Positively dumbass. At least, thats what I thought. With new information about Transformers: Prime coming to light during botcon, I'm actually beginning to think that Hasbro's approach could be be a work of genius. Could. Bear with me.

Now I'll admit, even though I thought the 'Darkness Rising' five-parter was brilliant, I've found the subsequent episodes to be somewhat hit-and-miss. Their self contained nature and general lack of commitment to ongoing story arcs has frustrated me somewhat.

According to the Botcon panel, however, this will all change with Season 2, with developing characters, stories, and a good smattering of juicy mythology thrown in for good measure. So why the disparity between the two seasons?

The panel themselves said they wanted series one to be self contained, where it didn't matter if you miss an episode or not. This is where I believe the new strategy begins to make itself aparrent. What we have here is a series that can be re-run, rinsed and repeated in any order so that people (or more specifically, kids) can get into it easily. As the hype for the movie dies down, these ready-to-roll episodes can perpetuate the interest in the brand, as well get the audience familiar with all of the new characters and create interest in the inevitable toyline.

The masterstroke comes when season 2 is ready to roll. By this point, Hasbro should have a keen, Tf: Prime savvy audience onboard who are invested in the characters and are ready for new, deeper storylines. More importantly, they'll be more than ready to open their wallets (or pester their parents into opening theirs!) for a new toyline thats been a VERY long time coming!

All Hasbro needs to do is crank up the hype for season two, and boom! Hit TV show and toyline! At least, thats what I hope! (I'm sure Hasbro will be hoping for similar success!)

Heres the feed for the TF: Prime panel if anyone missed it: Botcon 2011 Transformers Prime Panel - Transformers News - TFW2005

Let me know what you think!

2. shroobmaster

shroobmaster Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Hhhmmm, no sorry, I doubt that has anything to do with it.

Hasbro just knew nobody would give a shit about Prime toys during Movie year, they are just avoiding the crap that happened with TFA.

3. Greyley

Greyley Well-Known Member

They also said something on the panel about airing the series first so the show could build up an audience, then the toys would come out after it was well established. It's a gamble, but it could work...let the movie toys keep all the shelf space until the hype dies down, then release the toys from a (hopefully) popular and loved series to eagerly waiting customers. I guess we'll see if it works. I know I'll be first in line for a Knockout figure. :D 

I think it also connects with Hasbro's new intention of being an IP company instead of just a toy company. Until now, the cartoons and comics and whatnot have been considered just one out of many marketing tools, but now they're beginning to understand that the fiction is the heart and soul of what makes people love TFs. The more a kid (or an adult, lol) loves the show and the characters, the more likely they are to want lots of toys and other merchandise. The fiction has way more value than Hasbro has ever given it credit for, and thankfully they're starting to see the light.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  4. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Don't eat me

News Credits:
    I don't know if I'd take it that far. Yes, it's a movie year, but remember, Hasbro is trying to reinvent themselves as an entertainment company that makes its own toys, as opposed to years past when they the shows were just a shill for their upcoming lines. This new model possibly can help break the stigma of the past.

5. Epsilon

Epsilon Autobot Archivist

your theory makes sense, it would be all too easy for a tv show toyline (no matter how amazing prime is) to essentially drown in all the movie hype. A tv show simply can't compete with a blockbuster movie, so waiting until said hype dies down at least a little I think would give a TFP line the chance to have it's own voice be heard and not just become a mere footnote; waiting generates interest rather than an offhand 'oh there's toys for this too? huh, thats cool...I'm gonna go grab my movie shockwave now' type of thing. That waiting period I think also helps build up that anticipation for the toys ( That having been said, I'm ready to drop kick the individual who dares to get in between me and my 'Screamer, Soundwave and Ratchet figures ;)  )

6. Chopperface

Chopperface Holtzmanned

News Credits:
    I was predicting this would happen. Beast Wars did the same damn thing in terms of story. The first season was episodic and we got to knowing characters, then season of two has brilliant plot like Code of Hero and The Agenda. I knew this would happen.