The price of Voyager class figures is a rip off

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by HulksmashU, Jun 18, 2011.

1. wolfe

wolfe Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You also mentioned some kind of special buy pack. Transformers have these occasionally. The Walmart exclusive Optimus w/commettor for 17.77 is a heck of a deal.

2. TrueNomadSkies

TrueNomadSkies Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Maybe it's me, but I can't help at laugh whenever I see one of these threads coming from somebody who lives in the United States.

Like, no offense or anything, but the fact that you live in the US means that you're not only able to purchase almost anything (let alone just transformers) at bottom dollar, but also with frequent sales and availability to boot, neither of which are commonly present in other countries. Heck, even paying 30+ for Voyagers in Canada is nothing compare to how it is over seas, so the fact that the OP is complaining about paying 20 dollars for things like this is laughable at best, even if part of the problem is that they're smaller than older ones.

Along with that, you guys also have realistic shipping prices when it comes to the online market, so it's not like needing to pay this bottom dollar is even your only suitable option either, let alone when it comes to the big or small retailers, many of which only exist in the US.

3. havanowoncheese

havanowoncheese Bloodsail Admiral

There is not really much that i can add to the discussion except that i always thought of transformers as 3 toys. Vehicle, robot, and the puzzle aspect that goes into transforming them. Hell my buddy that can solve a rubiks cube in 2 minutes cant transform a single one of my tranformers well maybe basic Rattrap.

4. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Yeah, I used to buy DCDirect figures.

I don't anymore.

They don't give you enough bang for your buck.

5. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    Took the words right out of my mouth

6. GAUGE

GAUGE Wargod ARTS

News Credits:
    poor economy = inflation.

why cry?

Them's the breaks. *shrugs*

seems to me if folks are sick of inflation, it's time to find a new hobby.

7. TheTFReview

TheTFReview XboxLIVE: kpeek

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    17 bucks at Wal-Mart seems very fair.

8. Minnemagnus

Minnemagnus Armada Starscream!

There is not much more I can add to the discussion besides that if you don't think you get enough bang for your buck then don't buy it.

9. Solrac333

Solrac333 G1 got it right!

Ebay:
    That's why I now wait for sales.

10. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

Hey if price matters so much to you, get the Human Alliance basics. At only $10 you are getting a triplechanger plus a rider. Can't beat that in terms of value!

11. Dr. Prime

Dr. Prime Dr. Prime

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wow, this thread is a landslide, lol. You really can't complain, especially when there are frequent sales/coupons that can save you money. Lets face it....Hasbro is making lots of money, but its not because of the prices of each individual toy, its because of the VOLUME that they sell due to popularity. And yes, I will acknowledge that the figures have decreased in size and increased in price, but that is an economical factor and not a "rip-off" factor.

12. Waverider

Waverider Supreme Dude

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Maybe Transformers collecting is not your thing if you think you're not getting your moneys worth. Then again toy collecting is not a cheap hobby.

13. TwilightNero

TwilightNero Maximal

Ebay:
    with the cost that goes into designing a toy car/tank/plane/whatever, that changes into full posable humanoids....I think not when you add in the manufacturing cost, the price for all of the size classes is fully understandable

14. Dark Skull

Dark Skull Well-Known Enabler Moderator

News Credits:
    I have to agree. For example, I hated spending $90 just to build one figure. The last one I'm ever gonna do is Stel. I got rid of my others....but Stel....

TFs to me will always give you more bang for the buck. Like everyone said, you buy one TF, you practically have 2 toys. Unless you get a triple changer or six shot :D 

Using that as an "argument" even, the DC BAF figures, you buy one figure and you get 1/6th of another figure......so.....which gets more bang for your buck there when using that as a comparison (even though like someone said...its practically the wrong criteria)?

15. Grandum

Grandum Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think you need to take the complexity of the transformation into account. Also, to get you some perspective on things - In sweden a voyager is $70 - in the cheaper toystores. When those are the prices I have to put up with maybe you can see how someone complaining about a price of $20 in the states would seem.

16. Megabattimus

Megabattimus Same As It Ever Was

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    You can't really complain about the price of TF toys in the States because you're paying a damn lot less than other countries. Take Australia for instance, the average price of Voyager over here is about $40. Now, compare that to average price in the States, which going by Amazon prices, is about $18. That's about a $22 difference, so you guys can't really complain.

17. mx-01 archon

mx-01 archon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you want to complain about bang for your buck, Cyberverse Commanders are the ripoff here. 70% the size of a Scout class figure, but the same price.

On the flipside of the coin, though, the HA Basic figures feel like great deals. Same pricepoint as the Powercore Combiner figures, but they're huge, much bigger than regular Scout-sized figures. Sandstorm dwarfs Windcharger something fierce.

18. nyerk

nyerk Well-Known Member

I would sell my firstborn (if ever I had one) to permanently pay $20 for a voyager.

How'd you like to come to Australia and pay $50 for each one? Sorry, but it's hard to sympathise.

19. RedAlert Rescue

RedAlert Rescue Banned

News Credits:
    I think people in the uK have noticed how tiny the Voyagers are as reading the sightings and UK discussions threads it seems a lot of places sell most of the Legion, Cyberverse Commanders and Deluxes bar the odd Bumblebee now they are on sale in Tesco but the Voyagers just sit there. it seems £20.00 is seen as to much for them.

Personally I was happy to pay £20.00 for Grappel but not really feeling the desire to pay that for something like Voyager (Buzz Lightyear wannabe) Optimus Prime. I think i'd pay £16.99 for Shockwave or Megatron quite happily though.

Sometimes the supermarkets give you £6.00 of £60.00 so if I get one of those and they go on further discount then I'd buy the set.

At the moment no hurry to grab them though as they are to small and too expensive.

20. QmTablit

QmTablit BotBot in the what, I said BotBot in the what

Not that the thread had legs to stand on before, but ugh- this thread devolved.

In just the same way that you can't compare price points between a figure whose design is essentially a turnaround character model sheet to a figure whose design is 1, a vehicle of some sort, 2, a robot, and 3, the process by which 1 becomes 2...

... You can't compare prices between domestic product to international product. Because just like before, there are more than just the superficial to put into consideration. Shipping, the amount of middlemen involved in getting that product from point A to point B, how much that costs the retailer, and how much they want to mark up the product to make a profit off of it.

Why don't we try adding to the actual discussion rather than throwing guilt in someone's face over a personal issue that has nothing to do with the topic of this thread?

You could look here to the left and easily see the focus of my collection is Japanese product. Never ONCE have I bitched about "boo hoo, you only have to pay $25 in Japan for those toys... I have to pay $35 boo hoo." Because that comes with the territory of collecting a line of product that is imported.