The price of Voyager class figures is a rip off

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by HulksmashU, Jun 18, 2011.

1. HulksmashU

HulksmashU Multiversal-Conqueror

Yup thats right, i said it. And i bet i am not the only who realizes it, Paying 20$ for normaly a 6 1/2-7inch figure is a rip off. Not only are figures of 6inch scale lines (Which include big bulky 7inch characters) such as the marvel legends or DCUC line, which have figures nearly as big in most ways not counting the heavy hitter charaters (like Hulk for ML.) and you only pay like 12 bucks (or 16 if you buy a DCUC) about the same as a deluxe figure.

Not only that but often and usualy Its Hasbro that puts out these big 12inch figures. Most notably the ones for their Marvel Universe line where once a year they release 2 12inch characters with a bonus Comic book and 4inch Marvel universe figure (these sets labled as Gigantic battles) for a price of 24.99!! only a few bucks more than the average 7inch voyager!

Hell they are even bigger than a leader class and you pay almost twice as much for a Gigantic battle figure. Or one of their larg scale GI Joes that are about in the 12 inch range (and i think they would charge even less for them, about 20$ or so) so basicly, While Hasbro still has to pay license to lets say Marvel, where as they dont with Transformers, They can give you a spectaculer value pack with a big 12 inch figure for one line, and then give you a good yet kind of puny figure for almost just as much with just one figure in the package.
    (Frost Giant of MU VS Shockwave of TFDOTM)
    [​IMG]

2. Lord Of Tetris

Lord Of Tetris Well-Known Member

We're on the same page in that we want Tranformer toys to be cheaper. I've scaled back my collecting habits considerably each time the price goes up. However, I think it's part of our own responsibility to realize that Transformers are not going to be priced concordant to similar sized toys. Because Transformers have to transform, a lot of time and money goes into developing the toys. Designing a Wolverine toy is easy, whereas designing something that transforms requires a lot of time and research. Once the toy is designed, a transforming figure has more parts to assemble than, say, a Hulk toy, and these parts are probably smaller than those Marvel toys too.

In my opinion, we (often) get what we pay for, and it's our own responsibility to decide if the cost is worth it.

3. nikkitony1

nikkitony1 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    You are getting 2 toys in one(robot and alt mode). With the Target price cut and the $3 off coupon makes it $14.99. Makes it a little better.

4. starscream-99

starscream-99 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No not really. Engineering puts the price higher. DCUC to me are a rip off. Especially when they don't come with a BAF part.

5. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    If you're comparing transformers to other toys, then yes, more expensive. If you're comparing transformers to transformers, I think 15-20 bucks is cheap for that size of toy.

6. JazzBot95

JazzBot95 Well-Known Member

^^

I agree with these two posts. I never minded the costs of Transformers figures as I've always thought they've been reasonable for their size classes (At least in the US...scary prices in other countries that make me feel bad for the TF fans there :/ ) because they DO have to transform and do other things that those other figures of similar size do not have to do. They require a lot more moving parts and have a lot more engineering to be worked on than a character sculpt cut up to move in certain places

7. Crumplezone

Crumplezone Banned

Really? Shockwave is a hell of a lot more of a complicated figure.

8. Computer5

Computer5 Well-Known Member

Yeah, dude if you want to compare transformers to DCUC/ML, look at how often the parts get recycled. I also collect DCUC, and I am losing my mind that it's the same "buck" for 90% of the line and 17 waves in, the line is still loaded with a crapton of QC issues! At least with transformers, 80% of the time, tightening a screw or adding floor polish fixes the QC issues i get.

9. jametron

jametron Release the Kraken!!!!!!!

News Credits:
    Hate to break it ya, but size isn't the biggest factor here... Engineering and design are. End of line.

10. HulksmashU

HulksmashU Multiversal-Conqueror

Yes but i was'nt talking about complexity, i was talking about the bang you get for your buck.

11. JazzBot95

JazzBot95 Well-Known Member

Yeah, there's a lot less involved in making DCUC or ML figures than there are in Transformers.

Like I said, Transformers need to transform, have a ton more moving parts, and can't be recycled for 90% of characters like a DCUC or ML can. I feel like I'm getting my money's worth for a toy that can be a car, a robot, and still have a good amount of articulation. I don't like it that the prices are going up but I don't think they've exceeded the ridiculous point yet like DCUC has with their current 16~17 dollar price tag

12. Autobot Burnout

Autobot Burnout SANTARN IS COMING AGAIN TFW2005 Supporter

Not to mention a really poor choice for complaining about how Transformers are less "toy" per dollar spent. Shockwave is easily one of the best Voyagers we've had in a long while, much less from DOTM in general thus far. Now, had this argument been presented during Animated, THEN there might be something since some of those Voyagers were a bit on the small side.

13. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Tfs have less recycled pieces, less recycled engineering, and have higher part counts (and so higher manufacture costs) per dollar than any other toy available on US store shelves. You're getting your money's worth.

14. masishadow

masishadow Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Complexity and bang for your buck go hand in hand, I don't understand how you're trying to separate them. It sounds like you want one of the age 5 year old and up transformers that cost 20 bucks, are 10 inches tall and make cool noises and such!

For the price and size point, the figures are more complex and obviously had more work and ingenuity put into it. Especially when talking about Shockwave, I really like him as a movie representation. Also, in terms of collecting TF's, 20 bucks is a drop in the bucket, I know personally what I've paid for Micron figures and have never felt ripped-off. If I would, I don't buy it.

Size =/= worth

15. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    The pricing has always been fair. Unlike any other toy, Transformers give kids a lot more. Any parent who drops the money on a Transformer toy for their kid technically gives theres kid two toys in one. Not to mention the fact that a lot of time and effort goes into the engineering. Size doesn't have any effect on the matter.

16. Steevy Maximus

Steevy Maximus Movie Megs eats your soul

News Credits:
    Shoot, I think it could be argued that Transformers gives you more bang for your buck than almost any other line out there ($9 Star Wars Vintage? WTF!)

And as far as DCUC..well, I've always seen Mattel's products as pretty damned overpriced no matter how you slice it.

17. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    Look at what you get in nearly any other American toyline for the dollar compared to TFs and you'll see the value of Transformers is much greater, IMO. Also, ANY other country, the cost goes up by 33% or greater. Nothing to be sad about. You cant compare a 12" human action figure to a fully transforming robot. Engineering costs, molding costs for all the parts...

18. nelodiavolo

nelodiavolo Transformer Nerd

News Credits:
    Agreed, and really, how much engineering went into that molded muscle mass of plastic? Compare that to intricate pieces needed to make a transformer. Moving parts that need to fold and fit into alt modes and you usually get accessories too.

To me, if I spent my money on that 12 inch action figure, I'd feel ripped off.

19. Rhinox

Rhinox We bring surreal to life

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    As others have said. These toys do not engineer or tool themselves. That takes time, money, and a dedicated staff. Not to disparage "standard" action figures, but just about anyone can make a decent enough 6 inch figure. But, make one with at least 2 distinctive modes and can convert from one to the other? That's talent and talent don't come cheap.

You're not being ripped off, you're just basing your judgement on the wrong criteria.

20. UnicronFTW

UnicronFTW Don't blink.

News Credits:
    Very well said.