The Pretenders

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Juggalo_Prime, Jul 26, 2010.

1. Juggalo_Prime

Juggalo_Prime Planeswalker

Can some one please explain how the bloody pretenders worked? TF wiki and the ultimate guide were confusing at best.

2. Bumblethumper

Bumblethumper old misery guts

News Credits:
    They didn't. They sucked.

Lame gimmick was lame. Consign it to the trash heap of stupid G1 stuff well worth forgetting.

3. Juggalo_Prime

That doesn't explain what they were in fiction. i know there a stupid cash in but what was the fiction idea behind the stupid cash in?

4. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    There were regular transformers that fit inside pretender shells. The pretender shells worked as portable CR chambers that rebuilt the damaged Transformer host inside. The shells had the ability to use organic tissue to give them the likeliness of animals or even humans, hence they were pretending to be those things. Though, it's kind of ridiculous to think of a Transformer trying to be more undercover by pretending to be a sea-monster, a 2 headed human, and stuff like that. I THINK the intention was, with the normal human looking pretender shells that they were supposed to be human sized... to blend in with the human race, but the Marvel comics depicted the shells being Transformer sized... so who knows.

EDIT: Also, in the Marvel books, the host when separated from the shell could use it by remote control, thus allowing him to be 2 people at once.

5. Juggalo_Prime

Ooohhh, ok. thanks dude.

6. Roanstalker

Roanstalker Great Baan Gaan fan

News Credits:
    Chou Jin Masterforce hower DID depict them as human sized when in their shells. But grew when they 'morphed' out of them.

7. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That chick in Revenge of the Fallen that made out with Sam and changed into a Transformer, she was a Pretender.

8. Juggalo_Prime

ok, if more pretenders were made by the exploding man Bay, there would be way more horrible rule 34 of transformers. realy, keep safe search on when you type starscream *shudders from what can not be unsean*

9. DrGrim

DrGrim OBEY

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I just got myself some Pretenders 2 days ago for free from my in laws. I've never owned Pretender Transformers before. Sure, they're kind of lame, but they're lame in a fun way. I got Finback and Octopunch with shells and robots, I got Catilla, Chainclaw and Carnivac - robots only, and I got Doubleheader and Long Tooth shells only.

10. Juggalo_Prime

octopunch, i could so name a grind band that. isn't bludgeon the only one that people remember? him and thunderwing?

11. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

A lot of the Marvel stories that featured Pretenders took place on Alien planets where some of those molds looked like and were the size of the local alien species.

12. The_Black_Sheep

The_Black_Sheep Willyna...

News Credits:
    According to Masterforce (I'm not a comic person), The Cybertrons wanted to blend in with the humans whereas the Destrons wanted to scare the human race (as if giant transforming robots weren't scary enough... :lol ). When this translated to the toys, well IMO this was when transformers started to lose their way. I've even played with the desired Metalhawk a few times now & he's just as sucky as the rest of the pretenders.

13. Hot Shot.

Hot Shot. Giving up on the fiction.

News Credits:
    Well, some of us remember Carnivac and Snarler.

But yeah, pretty much.

14. Juggalo_Prime

why do all the pretenders sounds like grind and thrash bands?! wasnt bumblebee a pretender for one issue so they could show off his new toy?

15. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    Bumblebee, Grimlock and Jazz became Pretenders in the show when they were rebuilt by Ratchet using Megatron's technology. They remained that way through the marvel G1 (apart from Grimlock who became a Action Master near the end).

16. Juggalo_Prime

oh yah, thats when BB got his old body back cuz ratchet liked it better. ok, one last question about the pretenders- what happened if the shells were destroyed? were they just armor or did it hurt?

17. Roanstalker

News Credits:
    If their shells got damaged, the owner feels it. It was shown in the Marvel run too (Happens to Bumblebee I think). Not sure if they got destroyed what would happen.

18. wildfly

wildfly Lasers, 8 O'Clock, Day 1.

News Credits:

I've got nothing to say but :lol 

19. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Jazz's Pretender shell will also always look "wrong" to me.

You know...
    [​IMG]

- Coeloptera

20. [Wing_Saber-X]

[Wing_Saber-X] BATTLE GAIA!

News Credits:
    IMHO, only the Japanese exclusive Pretenders viz Choujin Masterforce rocked. :p