the Predacons vs. Dinobots compare & debate thread

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Funky Munky, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Funky Munky

Funky Munky G.I. Formers & Trans-Joe TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Okay so was the reason people wished the Dinos combined was because they were so similar to the Predacons:

Grimlock = Razorclaw - leader
    Swoop = Divebomb - winged ones
    Snarl = Headstrone = mediocre intelligence
    Sludge = Rampage = least intelligent of team members
    Slag = Tantrum = robot face underneath animal head with horns showing.

2. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW Spongebob since 2007

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube:
    Ye looks at Grimlock's and Razorclaw's alt modes are both Kings like T-Rex (Kings of The Triassic Dinosaurs) and the Lion (King of The Beasts.)

3. E. C. R. Former

E. C. R. Former Is probably insane...

Er, Spiderus, the T-Rex was a Cretaceous dinosaur, not a Triassic one.

But yeah, while there are quite a few comparisons between the Dinobots and Predacons, the Predacons combining into Predaking is not the reason why fans want to see a Dinobot combiner. The reason why fans want to see a Dinobot combiner is because the concept sounds cool.

And to be honest, Funky Munky, while the case for Grimlock/Razorclaw and Swoop/Divebomb can be made, I think its kinda flimsy for the rest of them.

4. Funky Munky

Funky Munky G.I. Formers & Trans-Joe TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Intelligence yes, but Tantrum and Slag are similar in their aspect.

5. Brainchild

Brainchild Dark Flame Master

I'd just say most people would like combining Dinobots because of the fact that they're a team, and most teams in Transformers are combiners.

6. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

I wish Tak/Has back in the 80s had the foresight to see that fans want Dinobots to combine. If that was the case I can guarantee that the Dinobots will be way more popular than they are now. They'll be the only combiner team that literally cost an arm and a leg to put it together, given that you can only get the G1 version for them.

7. ORIO

ORIO Plant-Based Bot Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    For me I always wanted to see the dinobots and predacons go at it was because the toy commercials advertised the predacons as the dinobots rivals. But we've yet to see a story where they've gone head to head. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2016
  8. FreshDebesh

FreshDebesh <b><font color=brickred>oye chak de phatte!</font> Veteran

Totally agree with this. As a kid, I remember seeing the toy commercials showing the rivalry in some sense but it never materialized in Season 3. I think the only real interactions we saw were Call of the Primitives and that episode where Kup, Blurr and Grimmy are on that planet with that monster called Chaos. I believe the Predacons show up there as well.

9. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I think the only time the Dinobots and Predacons faced off was in "Call of the Primitatives" and from the brief fights scenes, I believe the Dinobots will win against the Predacons...individually until they combine.

As a kid, I've always imagine the Dinobots will be winning until the Predacons combine into Predaking and it will probably take Grimlock and a few of the Dinobots to go into "stasis lock" or "near death" to bring him down! LOL!

10. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

I wanted the G-1 5 Dinobots to combine into a gestalt around 1985 when devestator & the scramble city combiners came on the scene.

having the dinobots combine & fight predaking was a idea I had years ago. i'd love to see it happen in the live action TF movie or in the newer TF cartoons.

11. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

I can't be the only one who kind of prefers the Dinobots to have the distinction of being one of the few (only?) 5-bot teams to NOT be a Combiner?

I mean, doesn't making the Dinobots combine not only further erode the already somewhat banal novelty of Combiners in general, but also detract from "specialness" of the Dinobots themselves?

Personally the whole thing reeks of fanboy wankery, and conjures the rancid ghost of The Beast, that canonical grotesquerie that we've locked away in the Cellar of Shame for years now?

I like the notion of Dinobots vs Predacons... it's a surprisingly good match, considering that the Predacons are mostly rather strong, volatile, unsubtle and dim-witted... though overall, the Dinobots still take it. Razorclaw is a monster, stats-wise, but Grimlock is pretty extreme. They'd probably have to rely on Predaking to take it.

zmog

12. grimlock1972

grimlock1972 "No Mas" My Wallet

News Credits:
    Your Not I always felt they had enough power that they did not need to combine. that and as dumb as they were and the fact most of the combiners were dumber than the bots/cons that made them up would not bode well for a Dinobot combiner.

and the transformers combiner version of he who must not be named seems to bear that out.

13. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Don't forget Swoop vs. Divebomb, one of the best rivalries the Marvel comics ever set up. Checking their Tech Specs, Divebomb is 1 point stronger, 2 smarter, 2.5 slower, 3 less endurance, 1 less firepower, 1 less skill.

That's about an even match, save for the endurance and speed, but then Swoop is a Dinobot.

- Coeloptera

14. tikgnat

tikgnat Baweepgranaweepninnybong. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    In the UK comics the Predacons and Dinobots have it all out in 'Grudge match'.

The story is set up that millions of years ago, Swoop was called Divebomb and in the elite Autobot flying corps. He was defeated by an unnamed Decepticon, who stole his name...

Anyway when the Predacons come to earth Swoop goes off on his own to take down Divebomb, but history pretty much repeats itself until the Predacons show up to have a Swoop beatdown, which turns into a Dinobot/Predacon clash.

In the end? Dinobots win. The story is in one of the UK reprint books floating around.

15. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Heh... I was just thinking about that UK story, and looking at those same stats... though I had a different reading than you. I saw...

Swoop / Divebomb
    STR - 6 / 7
    INT - 6 / 8
    SPD - 8 / 6
    END - 9 / 7
    FIR - 7 / 7
    SKL - 7 / 7

I tend to count the corresponding spike that normally lines up with the stat median, taking that as the intent, rather than getting too fussy about the exact position of the line. I also tend to discount half-points for the same reason... otherwise I'd be deducting a .5 from Swoop's Speed and Skill too.

By my count, they're a lot closer. While in air combat, Intelligence plays a role, would think that Swoop's Speed and Endurance advantages would make the difference... though there are two caveats...

1) Speed is a contentious stat. There are other flying TFs with 8 Speed and even lower, who have listed speeds far in excess of Swoop's 250mph. This lends credence to the theory that Speed value varies based on the TYPE of transportation (walking, driving, flying... flapping?). This shouldn't matter since Divebomb is also a "flapper", right?

So if he's 2 notches slower than Swoop, why does his bio say that he cruises at 300mph to Swoop's 250mph? Some discord there... perhaps because Swoop flaps and glides, but Divebomb is powered by jet engines (according to his bio), so he qualifies as a "jet" instead? Food for thought.

2) Swoop's bio also specifically mentions that his high Endurance is due to his low fuel consumption (gliding). Then it mentions that his wings are extra fragile... so in an aerial dogfight, I'd say that Swoop's Endurance advantage is negligible at best.

So without a Speed or Endurance advantage to speak of, that leaves Swoop in a fight with an opponent who is both stronger and smarter than he is. No wonder he lost their first battle (and his name in the process). :) 

Can you tell I miss those old tournament threads? :D 

zmog

16. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Energon kinda ruined the Dinobot combo for me when I saw the combined form of Grimlock and Swoop. I still can't unsee that! :lol 

17. superpunch

superpunch Banned

but wasnt it the concept the dinobots are so powerful they dont need to combine to take on combiner teams?

18. superpunch

superpunch Banned

annual with magnus and galvatron on the front? i think

19. Omnius

Omnius Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Do yourself a favour and don't look up 'The Beast' on the wiki!

20. Wraithier

Wraithier Well-Known Member

Combiner Voldemort?

Sorry saw that and couldn't resist, that's immediatly what popped into my head. Guess I'm in the wrong forums for that haha.

Anyway I always thought of the Dinobots as the group that didn't NEED to combine, they are powerful as it is, and their combined form, while potentially more powerful would be incredibly stupid. I don't recall how Predaking overcomes this - better combiner technology?