The "Post Your Original Comic Book Artwork" Thread!

Discussion in 'Comic Books and Graphic Novels' started by Lunar Archivist, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

I've been visiting conventions regularly for many, many years, and every time I go, I usually try and have a sketch or two done by any attending comic book artists. Since I'm pretty sure I'm not the only forum member who does this, I thought it might be fun if we all shared with each other original comic book artwork that is unique and that no one else has ever seen and maybe provide a bit of background information on it. :) 

Here's some images to start things off:

Apparition by Lee Moder Jr.
    I actually developed a liking for Apparation (the post-Zero Hour Legion of Super-Heroes version of Phantom Girl) and was heartbroken when she was incinerated by a rampaging Daxamite's heat vision, so I asked Lee Moder Jr., the then-artist on the title, to make a commemorative sketch of her for me. He came up with this piece of black humor, which had me wincing and Mark Waid (who was resposible for killing her) laughing his ass off:
    [​IMG]

Spider-Man by Mike Zeck
    Mike Zeck was a nice guy and a real trooper. He made the exact same sketch for everybody even though it took him 20 to 30 minutes to do each one.
    [​IMG]

Boba Fett by Rick Buckler Jr.
    [​IMG]

2. Boggs6ft7

Boggs6ft7 TFW2005 Supporter

USM #38 Pg 18, Mark Bagley and Art Thibert

Bought this a few years back, Bagley is one of my favorite artists and my favorite person to draw Venom.

Interesting note about this page, ever time Bagley draws Venom, he draws him with the spider on his chest, when the artwork went to be colored, they took it away, which makes sense for the story.

I used to own a Ron Lim Venom page, but sold it a while back for xmas money.

I need to get this framed, I want to frame it next to the printed page. I bring it to school every so often to show my students, its just cool to be able to point to a page in a comic and say, "hey, I own that"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. Lumpy

Lumpy Taylor Swift Actionmaster Super Mod

News Credits:
    i don't own any art yet, but i want a page from Philip Tan and his Orange Lanterns, as well as Ryan Ottley and a page of Invincible. Andy Kuhn is an artist who shops at my store, he's done firebreather for image (which is fantastic) and i may get him to draw me something sometime...but original art pages go for a ton most of the time...and i have not enough monies for that...

4. Lunar Archivist

Lunar Archivist Well-Known Member

Silver Age Supergirl by Humberto Ramos
    Ever since I saw Ramos' work on Impulse and Young Justice, I got the strange idea in my head of wanting to seem him sketch Kara Zor-El. This was the result.
    [​IMG]

Knockout by Tom Grummett
    Grummett actually needed a visual reference for Knockout's costume because he hadn't drawn it in so long. :) 
    [​IMG]

Batman by Grant Morrison
    Yes, this is a sketch by that Grant Morrison. One of my all-time favorite pieces just because of the sheer novelty value. I forget exactly how this started, but, way back at the 1998 San Diego Comic Con, I met him with a bunch of other fans and he ended sketching something for one of them. When we saw how well it turned out, we asked him why he never said he was good at drawing. His response was simple, "Because then everyone will want one!" He also went on to elaborate that he sketched comic book characters as a kid just like everyone else. That's why he's so good at it. :) 
    [​IMG]

5. Wreckgar

Wreckgar Anthony Stark Veteran

I'll be back...

6. Dreweido

Dreweido Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Botcon 2006 comic pg 10 inked page given to me as a gift from Jake the inker on it. I colored the page for the book.

http://tweetphoto.com/klcwaqat

[​IMG]

7. Wreckgar

Okay, let's see what I got here. I've been at this a while and have some great stuff, thankfully some of it from before artists charged for sketches.

Eric larsen[/img]
    Billy Tan
    Sean Chen
    Frank Cho
    Amanda Conner
    Don Figueroa
    Figueroa Soundwave - He did this for me before they offiicially released the images of the unused WW characters
    Adi Gravnov
    Phil hester
    Jim Lee
    Joe Kelly - Yes, Mr Deadpool himself.
    Steve Kurth - Snake Eyes
    Steve Kurth - Destro
    Steve McNiven - pre-Civil War from when he was drawing MK 4
    Nelson DeCastro
    Mike Norton - I knew Mike when I was worki ngat DD and he knew my love of TFs.
    Pat Lee
    Humberto Ramos
    Bart Sears
    Mark Silvestri
    Mike Wagner

One of my favorites, Adi Granov from well before his movie boom. This was when he was doing covers for the book while my friend John Miller was writing it.

[​IMG]

Another of my favorite sketches, Rob Liefeld. Took an hour to make and I waited 3 hours for it. But it was worth it.

[​IMG]

The all-time greatest sketch I have. George Perez. Nuff Said.

[​IMG]

8. Wreckgar

And now the art pages.

Pat Lee page with prowl and ironhide. I got it for the Prowl pic more than anything.

Sean Chen pages Splash and regular page.

Alicia Martinez from her work on Iron man. 2 page splash

Phil Hester page from Ant-Man

A few more people I know personally. Jim Palmiotti and Amanda Conner did the pencil and ink work on JSA Classified featuring Power Girl. Thi sis the page where she talks to Superman.
    [​IMG]

Tony Harris page from the Disassembled arc and a sketch from my friend Billy Tucci.
    [​IMG]

One of my pride and joy pieces, cover of Cable/Deadpool by Patrick Zircher.
    [​IMG]

From when I was working at Devil's Due, I became friends with Tim Seeley. He did an issue of GIJoe featuring my favorite character, Beachhead. I was given this as a present.
    [​IMG]

And my latest acquisition. Patrick Gleason brought his pages of GLC to NYCC on the last day. I managed to get a great pic of Kyle, Natu, and Kryb from the Faces of Evil issue. I got it for the Kyle shot though, still my favorite GL.

[​IMG]

9. TheIncredibleHulk

TheIncredibleHulk Find Gary Busey!

Damn Wreckgar, thats awesome :thumb 

10. General Magnus

General Magnus Da Custodes of the Emprah

Nice art. I would kill to have a drawing of Natu/Iolande in that way.

11. Josh

Josh Comic Color-guy

News Credits:
    quite the awesome collection you have Wreckgar!!

12. markerguru

markerguru tech master TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    now thats a pretty nice collection of original art. i have a bit myself, but i'm just too lazy right now to photograph it to show off. after seeing some of this, i want to get most of my stuff framed now.

13. Wreckgar

Do it. I used to have a wall of framed signed books and sketches. I might stil have the pic somewhere. it's so much more inspiring than a room of toys. Though I still have halk to room covered in figures, the art is more satisfying. It has that, "I'm the only one who owns this" quality.

14. Wreckgar

Thanks to my loving wife, my newest addition for Christmas, an original 2 page splash from Punisher 2099 #10. Old school art with the word bubbles, sound effects, and page numbers glued and taped on.
    [​IMG]