The possibilities of alternate universes

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tyrannosaur, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:
    (Ten bucks says I can guess what FreshDebesh will say when he posts in this topic.)

In an alternate universe, Cybermen are a contrived plot device instead of an otherworldly menace!

....Wait...

2. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart. RIP Spike and Mojo.

or dont think about it. a person can go crazy thinking about it...

(look in a mirror)damn, i forgot, too late :lol 

sometimes its spooky.

3. Optimus1986

Optimus1986 TMNT & Hulk Fanatic

In an alternate reality the Jonas Brothers are hunted down for crimes against humanity.

And I'm in Supergirl's sig. :thumb 

4. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    Yup, this sure is a neat idea.

5. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

The word "event" doesn't mean what everyone seems to think it does when talking about this.

They're talking about quantum events.

Read this first: Many-worlds interpretation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then read the sourced links.

It's really more about wave functions than "What if the Nazis won WWII?".

Wait...you want it macroscopic? Try this one: Quantum suicide and immortality - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Read Mallah's counter-arguments particularly closely.

- Coeloptera
    (Quantum and astro-physics hobbyist.)

6. Rhapsody_Prime

Rhapsody_Prime ...such Heroic Nonsence.

"Many-worlds asserts the objective reality of the wavefunction, but denies the reality of wavefunction collapse. The subjective appearance of wavefunction collapse is explained by the mechanism of quantum decoherence. "

...uh, me Grimlock...King??

End of Line

7. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

This.

8. amd098

amd098 En taro Artanis!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    in another alternate reality, transformers collect humans and then afa them!

9. Tyrannosaur

Tyrannosaur Well-Known Member

There are also other theories that our universe is the only universe and each time it ends (The big crush as it's called) a new one begins.

I can't wait to start astronomy in january :D 

10. Ziero

Ziero TFW2005 Supporter

...I think my brain sprung a leak

11. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Personally, I prefer the Marvel version of time travel. The idea is that when you go back in time, you're not going to your own past, but the past of an alternate universe. You just being in the past creates a new timeline. Thus, anything you do in that time period, will have no effect on your present.

12. Darkwing48

Darkwing48 Heroic Decepticon

I believe the idea of multiple universes on our scale is BS.
    If one have made a decision, it is based on a long list of past experiences/ current knowledge/ reasoning of the future. One would always make the same choice depending on the those 3 ideas. No matter how many times a person, at that time, was sent there. Now if such a being/or event were to affect any of the three. Then that is how a universe is born. But the only way this can happen, if someone had changed the past. Until that is the case, a proven case, it well a theory.

We think there is another universe because we think know that something may changed if we chose "not A" over "A." But the chain of events after choosing "not A" will never happen, thus everyone, and everything, is confined to the events of "A".

This is why I agree with Cheetatron.

13. Ops_was_a_truck

Ops_was_a_truck JOOOLIE ANDREWWWWWS!!!!!!

Ebay:
    If only we could harness the power of this multiverse with some sort of infinite improbability drive...

14. Tyrant

Tyrant Zombie

Usually when this subject comes up on other forums, the certainty that we all have goatees in alternate universes has been mentioned by at least the second page of posts. What the hell guys? I thought this was a cool place to hang.

15. Tyrannosaur

It's not time-travel exactly, the whole alternate universe(s) theory matters on descisions made by people. Things you do and don't do lead off into an entire different timeline, no?

The entire concept of time-traveling is very confusing. To me it seems that traveling forward in time is much easier than traveling back. Technically we are going forward in time, but is it possible to accelerate it, stop it, and/or reverse it? I'm still trying to comprehend this all, but to no avail. I need to do more research.

I came across this article, still reading it. Thought it might help a bit to some of us here, including myself.
    http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/generalscience/5mysteries_universes_020205-1.html

16. Tyrannosaur

In another universe, someone posted this and that version of you that exists in that universe would find this a cool place to hang out.

17. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Wields Mjolnir!

News Credits:

Given the loathing the Wikipedia gets as a source of information, it's almost surprising lately how many of the articles I've read there have been rather high quality.

While I was familiar with the concepts (I almost went into theoretical physics), I did appreciate the list of the "in fiction". As an aside, ever read Hyperspace? I read it in high school years ago and thought it was a fun read.

Actually in the parallel universe I would be clean shaven.

18. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:

In Soviet Parallel Universe, vodka drinks you!

But you're right about how this stuff works. And another thing to consider: If each possible outcome of each random action (or even each conscious decision) produces parallel universes, there are an infinite number of parallel universes. And I mean infinite in the grandest scale of the number. Like, infinity to the power of infinity (which is still infinity). Every time any subatomic particle in the entire universe spins one way or another, different universes. Every time one atom collides or refracts or one electron is excited rather than another, different universes. Simply due to the number of atomic, sub-atomic and quantum interactions in the universe every instant, these types of parallel universes would dwarf the parallel universes determined by macro effects or conscious decisions to an infinitessimality. You could quite literally shift from one universe to another every instant in your life and have no idea anything was different.

Today, however, the idea of the "alternate universe" is used more as a thought excersise or a plot device rather than scientific fact. In the real world (assuming the above paragraph is true), there would be limitations even to what parallel universes could exist. For example, a parallel universe based on a premise that violates any law of nature/physics (known or unknown) could not exist. So that takes out, say, a universe where men are made of lithium but everything else is the same. You could also rule out universes that rely on a decision being made that absolutely could not happen. So, for the sake of argument, let's rule out a universe where Hitler woke up one morning in 1921 and decided (contrary to all reason) to shoot himself in the face (or one where he committed suicide as a baby). But you could still conceivably have a universe where the Valkyrie plot succeeded.

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that having an infinite number of possible universes doesn't mean that ANYTHING is possible. Of course, its kind of a moot point since even if there were parallel universes or alternate states of reality, we currently have no way of observing them or travelling between them. Its fun to think about, I guess, and maybe in some parallel universe out there, we know more than we do here.

Parallel Universe Post:

Everyone knows there are only 3 universes. This one, Cowboy Universe, and Opposite-Coin-Flip Universe.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  19. Bort826TFWorld

Bort826TFWorld OOGA CHAKA

News Credits:
    I have an alternate universe where Go-Bots end up more popular than TFs. Pretty much theres a Michael Bay Go-Bots, GBW 2005, Go-Bots Reissues. Lets just say it would suck.

20. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl

Yeah, it would suck.