The point of all the "Masters"?

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Maniaxe, Nov 14, 2008.

1. Maniaxe

Maniaxe Well-Known Member

I just got back into Transformers recently, and have been looking around Youtube to see what i've missed in the last two or less decades. I just have a few questions.
    What really was the point of all the "Masters?"
    Headmasters,
    Godmasters (or powermasters if you want it that way)
    Brain masters
    Powered masters.

Really?

Also for that matter...
    Is there any problem that can't be solved by bringing Optimus Prime back to life?

2. Wreckie

Wreckie Holder of the Discomatrix

Ebay:
    To answer your questions:

1. To sell more toys. It was hoped that more gimmicks would sustain waning interest in the franchise. It worked at first.
    2. It didn't solve the problem of animation errors, low budgets and creative bankruptcy.

3. shiftypenguin

shiftypenguin Fancy-Pantsless Dancer

News Credits:
    It's either that or "Above-Average Power Robots."

Also, "Slightly More Adept Than Other Transforming Head Robots."

Oh, and you forgot Robotmasters.

4. Magnus' Mate

Magnus' Mate Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The point was to create diversity in the line. Diversifying a successful product line is pretty much standard in any industry. It's how companies make their pennies.

As much as the geewunners might not like to consider it, if Hasbro had continued to put out nothing but reused Diaclone/Microman moulds as new Transformers forever and a day, TF probably wouldn't be going as strong today, if at all.

5. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:

Very true and to this day Brainmasters are still among my very favorite Transfomers. BTW, I'm no "geewunner". I consider myself a G1 fan.:wink: 

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    You forgot Targetmasters and Turbomasters.

I dunno, I kind of like the gimmicks. Granted, some of the toys were terrible in terms of design, but then again, a lot of the non-gimmick ones were pretty bad as well. Also, I'm a sucker for recursive giant robots, so maybe I'm biased.

7. Transfotaku

Transfotaku Transformer Otaku

Turbomasters, Powered Masters and Robotmasters aren't really in the "Masters" style of Headmasters et al. It's just a name for their team/line, nothing more. Turbos are just cars with a futuristic design to them, Robotmasters are just a toy line that is almost like the Japanese Classics before Henkei, and Powereds are just vehicles that had a pull back then run around gimmick. Or a zip cord. Whatever. Either way their gimmick was to zoom around, had nothing to do with a companion figure.

Headmasters, God/power Masters, Targetmasters, Brainmasters, and to an extent Breastforce are in the same mold: Large guy with a smaller partner. They brought diversity and play value. And since this is a toy line, adding play value is a good idea.

After all, how many times can they release someone that JUST transformers? Gimmicks add longetivity to a line.

Besides, it's like getting two toys in one. And no one's bitched when Soundwave got his companions, so having others with companions and complaining about them is a double standard.

8. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I believe the point is they have all "mastered" a particular aspect of something thanks to their enhancements and/or partners.

Targetmasters are masters of targeting
    Powermasters are masters of power
    Actionmasters are masters of action
    Headmasters are masters of ... well the point is they are all very good at what they do. ;) 

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    'Masters' rocked, especially Powermasters. I regard the concept of a toy that would not transform unless the Nebulan engine was jacked in to be pretty darn brilliant. Plus, who could forget Doubledealer, who would transform into something different depending on which engine you popped onto him? Him, Darkwing and Dreadwind are among my favorite G1 Transformers.

10. OdeeanRDeathshead

OdeeanRDeathshead Infiltrator

The larger headmasters were built a bit lame but the smaller guys were good. I remember saving up to buy Hosehead back in the day. Characters like Hosehead, Misfire or Fortress Maximus still hold up next to todays standards (albeit minus some articulation).

11. Mobb One

Mobb One Godmaster

Meh. As a kid I never really cared for the powermaster engines or the headmaster heads. I was careful to keep them all, but in terms of playvalue they added nothing really, just an accessory that was essential to not be lost. It was far more entertaining to stage aerial battles between Brainstorm and Misfire than have Arcana and Aimless do nothing but touch their toes.

BTW the greatest powermaster toy of all time is without a doubt Overlord.

12. unicron's blues

unicron's blues I need to get rich!

I always liked the Headmaster/Powermaster/Targetmasters. I thought the concept was neat and I'm very much a G1 fan, personally I think the original line had so much variety when you consider that, gestalts, pretenders, micromasters. Granted not everyone liked all those subcategories but I think we can all agree there was something for just about everyone.

13. Aaron

Aaron Master of Crystalocution Moderator Content Contributor

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    All of the "masters" were just like have been said. It was a way to give a new set of gimmicks to the line to give the toyline something other than just vehicles to robots.

14. Backstop

Backstop Have you seen my box art?

News Credits:
    Are we talking about `Head` or `breast` masters.......lol