The pitch for each film

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by QLRformer, Sep 27, 2012.

1. QLRformer

QLRformer Seeker

News Credits:
    The pitch, or film's presentation, may be considered significant and of some interest since it sums up the film's tone and what to expect from it.

It's curious, when looking at the pitches for each of the TFilms (courtesy of IMDb, and I think from some other sites too), which were released some time before the films themselves released, that they all summed up their films fairly accurately:

Transformers (2007) - Trivia - IMDb - "Michael Bay described the tone of the film as "Seven Samurai fused with Close Encounters of the Third Kind and charged with 85 mph fight scenes."
    This being the first TFilm, it sounded spectacularly epic. You've got a bunch of warriors defending a helpless world, a government agency that monitors ET activity, and of course explosive action that only MBay could deliver. It was fantastic.

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (2009) - Trivia - IMDb - "Michael Bay described the tone of ROTF as "Ben-Hur fused with Apocalypse Now."
    The idea of a biblical epic combined with a grand war film probably sounded good on paper, but turned out to be a bit disjointed on screen. But then they were contrasting films to use as an influence anyway...

Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011) - Trivia - IMDb - "Michael Bay described the tone of DOTM as "a homeland version of Black Hawk Down with giant alien robots."
    Well, they got the BHD part RIGHT: the US Military/Autobots have a major showdown within Decepticon territory. One wonders though whether that was the right film to choose as an influence...

It was something curious and interesting I thought worth posting about. Who knows how the pitch for TF4 will be: MBay calls it LAWRENCE OF ARABIA meets ARMAGEDDON or something like that LOL.

2. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I came in here expecting to see a youtube link for MB on Southpark.

3. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    So the pitch for each film was worded as essentially "okay I'm going to rip off successful, critically acclaimed films and mash them together in a way that fits my vision of transformers instead of focusing on something original"?

Is that common in Hollywood? If so, depressing.

4. Crainy

Crainy Well-Known Member

No, he just uses it to better describe his movies to an audience, using movies that most people have heard from or even seen. Its a common practice.

Ofc you knew that, but hating on Michael Bay (your jesus) is just too much fun, is it?

5. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    I thought the pitch was :

give me :2c: , so I can :bay , and people will :popcorn , so they can later :scalper  themselves...

6. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    Not nearly as fun as fakeposting, brah.

I guess it makes sense to couch films in those terms during a quick pitch, but I find his choices very strange, since they don't seem like proper choices in his descriptions, or maybe there's a commentary or explanation that goes along with them, or maybe the final product simply changed from the initial vision.

For TF1, the final result seems a lot more like "E.T. by way of Armageddeon on Speed". ROTF may have had a "journey in stages" aspect like Apocalypse Now, but ended up being more like "What Dreams May Come, but in real life, and with robots", and DOTM like "Independence Day meets the Star Trek reboot".

7. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Yes, it is. Hollywood projects these days are pitched as "X meets Y". Anything resembling an "original idea" is heavily frowned upon.

8. Incepticon

Incepticon Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yet what we actually got was Raiders of the Lost Ark w/ Robots meets Enemy of the State w/ Robots. Okee then.

9. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
  10. MTME

MTME Well-Known Member

News Credits:

this came from imdb?? pass, imdb is not reliable
    looking at all yourlinks and url's they are all from imdb

11. Gingerchris

Gingerchris Telly-headed Tyrant

News Credits:
    I've heard the pitch for TF4 is a cross between Transmorphers, Sharktopus, Metal Tornado and Goonies, but without the fat kid or Sloth.

So, a huge improvement then. :) 

Actually, TF4 is a cross between BayFormers 2007, RotF and DotM.

Dunno if that's better or worse.

Are there really any original ideas anymore though? Just about everything, even seemingly original concepts, can be somewhat described via the concepts of other previous movies or shows or books. I guess that's why they do it.

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Let me make explosion with victoria secret models in the background.

13. Meta777

Meta777 Dr Pepper Fan

Fixed.

But, I'd still watch your film either way :lol