The Phycological Effects of Optimus Prime

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by bushboy, Jul 13, 2007.

1. bushboy

bushboy Hardcore Decepticon

Excuse the spelling...

You have to admit, even if you are a hardcore decepticon fan, there is just something about Prime that really affects people. I hear stories about how he made kids want to be a better person, about how his death made people cry and angered parents. Is it the nobility? Did Cullen's voice have anything to do with it? Just what is it about Optimus that has that affect on people?

2. Op_Prime

Op_Prime One With The Matrix TFW2005 Supporter

Well, first of all, he's this uber-cool badass robot from outer space, which I'm sure all of us as kids would find very cool and enough to make us like him at a superficial level. But yet, It was not what he was but WHO he was as a character that would make us develop a far emotional bond with him. Most of us got to know Optimus Prime from the G1 cartoons. In it, he was a typical near flawless hero character. Now what gave him an advantage of other such hero characters of the day that share the same traits (like Superman) was that he was also an active leader and we could connect with him by seeing how he treated the subordinates under him as well as their human friends. The other Autobots all looked up to him, and even if they initially didn't (like the Dinobots), He would eventually prove to them one way or another he was worthy of their respect. When it came to the Autobots under him, he knew when to be kind, when to be stern, when to impart little nuggets of wisdom, teaching them how to be compassionate to beings smaller than them, always coming up with the right plan to save his comrades or win the battle, or perhaps just spending a little funtime with them outside saving the world. He was like a perfect father figure to the Autobots, and by extension, to us the viewers. As a stand-in parent, he was very easy to connect to and establish an emotional bond with.

3. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    Its a combination of all those things.
    The nobility, the desire to do the right thing (without being too campy about it), the fact that he is a hero among heroes.

For me personally, Transformers began to air when I was at a very hard point in my life. My father had abandoned our family -just left. I was 11 years old and he was my hero. He was also a truck driver who drove a red cabover Kenworth.

So, the person who was supposed to be my real hero was gone, but here was this character on TV who was noble, brave, at times funny and also very humble who happened to turn into a truck like my dad's.

All of that combined with what Peter Cullen's voice brought to the character really resonated with me.

4. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    this is because optimus owns us. for real.

5. tobecat

tobecat Transformers KISS Toby TFW2005 Supporter

That sucks man. If I may ask, did you ever find out why?

6. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Yep... my vote is for his father-figure appeal. He's not the "brash young hero" or the "Superman" type... more than anything he comes off as a sort of father to the Autobots, a straight-up role model.

Incidentally, this is why I never liked the WW origin of Prime... because half the regular Autobots were there before Prime even existed. For some reason, I always figured that he'd been around longer than most of them, and only guys like Ironhide remembered when Prime was "green".

And Peter Cullen's voice probably contributed a lot too. That Prime voice hits all the elements dead on.

zmog

7. Switch625

Switch625 "Up, up, and away!"

Optimus Prime is the Superman of the Transformers universe. He's a leader, a father figure, a role model and I believe he's inspired by humans as much as he inspires them. Like he said in the movie, humanity is a primitive race by comparison, but there is goodness here and that gives us the right to determine our own fate. Just like Superman.

Superman is a leader, whether it's on the field of battle or a leader by example. He's a father figure to the younger heroes like the Titans. He's a role model to almost every other hero in the DC Universe (just look at how his "death" affected everybody, even Batman). He sees a goodness in humanity and chooses to protect and help us rather than rule us.

I'm also not too crazy about Prime's War Within origin. He's an accountant for crying out loud!

And Peter Cullen. I don't think I need to say anything more there.

8. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Martyrs, baby. Prime is like Jesus with 18 wheels and a badass gun.

9. SamiWCP

SamiWCP Guest

"Prime did it--He turned the tide!"

That was Prime, he made a situation, changed a situation, or solved a situation. He was a perfect mix that a real leader should be..Considering all the aspects before making judgement. He was tempered. He knew when it was time to fight, both with a plasma rifle or by word or action. He was a father figure and friend to the people under him. He was kind and compassionate. In the first movie, when he claimed that one shall stand, and one will fall..And he had Megatron beat..You knew he wouldn't kill him. It wasn't Primes style. He was selfless and self sacrificing for those in his care. He wanted things to be better, for everyone, not just himself or the autobots. His care was to the robots at his side, the people on the new planet, and the environment itself..Repairing destroyed cities after a fight etc.

A lot of hero's now days are the "anti-hero" the bad guy doing worse to badder men.

Prime was a true hero. What's not to like about that? You should want to aspire to be something like that, in real life.

10. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    Apparently he turns water in to motor oil.

Honestly I never really liked Prime, I didn’t hate him, but he was never really my character. I think it could be that I never actually owned the original toy, but even as personalities went I never identified with him. My faves were Jetfire, Jazz and Cliffjumper.

11. Smasher

Smasher HUNKY BEATS

News Credits:
    He and my mom were having a really tough time -she was an alcoholic and had some mental issues.
    They were all grave things to deal with, to be sure, but Dad took the cowardly way out. He is still a part of my life, we have reconciled as much as anyone can from that type of situation.

12. Backpack

Backpack Scattershot who?

Transformers started when I was 12.

I grew up, for the most part without a Father. He'd come and go. SHow up for a few months and leave again and we wouldn't see him for years at a time. When I was really young, this didn't seem to matter to much to me. It was like, normal I guess. One of the times he came around was in 1980 when Empire Strikes Back was playing in theatures. Which would have made me about 9. I guess I was at just the right age to really become attached because when he left again it really hurt me. BUt, in the end I could blow off that painfull feeling and replace it with anger, disdain and apathy. THough it didn't seem to affect me all that much, there was still something subtle missing from my life.

Apon years of reflecting, Optimus Prime ended up becoming the Father I always wanted/needed for my normal development. It's not like I thought of him that way growing up, it was just I looked up to him, or rather felt a bond with the character.

It didn't hurt that I completely loved everything about Transformers. Prime was definatly the top bot in the first series. Being the only really big Autobot that could take on all the much larger Decepticons. Even in just the little toy catalog Prime seemed special to me, like a treasure.

THen came the cartoon. The first episode I caught on TV was the second ep of MTMTE.... and I was floored. A TRANSFORMERS CARTOON OMG!!! Just seconds into it, Prime saves Spike and Sparkplug from the fire and introduces himself. What a first experence with the character to have. I was already hooked on TFs before the show started, but after I saw that episode I was more like obsessed.

13. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Prime gives me nightmares...

14. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

The thing is that Prime is a constant. No matter what show you watch, you can always go to Transformers and expect the same thing: a selfless hero that always seems to be able to change the tide.

15. Lady_Prime

Lady_Prime Prime's Leading Lady

Ebay:
    No problems with the spelling..

I'm going to answer your question because I've wanted to bring this topic up myself but was afraid to ask..:eek: 

There is a line on a Christian website I have that says: "Jesus drives Optimus Prime and I'm just the passenger." (My quote...)

I have always been a dreamer and a writer. It was my greatest wish one day to be a novelist or to be something more than what I was at the time-I saw potential stories in everything I saw up to and including the Transformers cartoon. I saw potential in everything around me..and my friends thought I lived in my own reality for a while growing up..but you would if you had a dysfunctional childhood that was too much to bear.

There were two things that I loved when I was 17...Neil Peart of Rush and Optimus Prime. Why Optimus? Maybe it was because he was a "knight in shining armour" to me....but now I found out, at 37, why I fell in love with Optimus in the first place....all I had to do was glance up at the movie and watch him blink. I know that sounds strange but when I noticed his eyes blink, it hit me like Ironhide coming at me with bad brakes..

He's human..he's you, he's me, he's the best we could all be or strive to be.

Heather

16. ckhtiger

ckhtiger old skool fool

to see the crowd's reaction to peter cullen at the botcon panel, that dude is seriously responsible for affecting the lives of THOUSANDS of people. so it's not just the characterization of prime, but the voice as well.

17. chocula78

chocula78 Satellite Systems Engr TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    I'll never get the "Prime replaced my deadbeat father" because I grew up with a good home life. I can understand he has fatherly traits, but I can't understand a cartoon replacing the most important man in a person's life, imo.

Prime for me was just a good character. I loved all the self sacrificing do good attitude he had. My family name has Scottish clan ancestory and the family name motto is "Virtue et labore" (latin for "by valour and exertion") which fits Prime's way of leading. Also, in the cartoon, I think he had the coolest bot mode.

The Witwicky family motto from the movie "No sacrifice, no victory" cracked me up.

18. Spekkio

Spekkio Master of War

This has already been posted on TFW (I think) but it's relevant to the discussion:
    Wired Magazine: The Rebirth of Optimus Prime

My memories of the G1 animated series are quite dim, I'm afraid. That said, Optimus Prime fits very much into the mold of Captain America, John F. Kennedy, etc. A leader who inspires and leads by example.

Do not underestimate the value of fiction in shaping not only the minds and lives of children, but of all human beings. Our species has used fiction since time and memorial to teach and inspire.

19. bushboy

bushboy Hardcore Decepticon

Well said. Otherwise, people like us wouldn't exist.