The Perfect Superhero Movie

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Gojira Prime, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

This is not meant as a "check out dis vid i maed stowk may dkk" thread. I genuinely want to have a discussion about this topic.

Also, for those who remember the "WST Rant" debacle, no, I do not scream in this video.

YouTube - The Perfect Superhero Movie

I don't think I mentioned this in my little shpeale at the end, but another point is if "the perfect superhero movie" is even possible.

2. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    The closest thing to a perfect Superhero movie is one that has continuity, a lot of good acting and writing, many themes to it.

Only one movie in the near future has all those and it's going to be directed one of the greatest media visionaries of our time.

You know which one.

3. Dolza_Khyron

Dolza_Khyron Well-Known Member

well i think as long as they are enjoyable movies, and stay at least some what true to the source, then it's good enough for me! lol

i mean i enjoyed ironman, spiderman 1 and 2, the second hulk film, kickass, most of the batman movies, the first 2 superman movies.

sure they were not completely true to the "source" and they had changes. but i enjoyed them.

and i am sure many others did too.

isn't that all that is important?

besides it is hard to shove 50 years of story line and character development into a 2 hour high budget action flick, don't you think? :lol 

4. Radioactive Ravage

Radioactive Ravage Ancient

DEADPOOL.

...Yeah.

5. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    We've already had the perfect superhero movie. It was called Iron Man.

6. iwasherenotyou

iwasherenotyou Medical Officer

News Credits:
    I disagree. The Incredibles was better.

7. Tigermegatron

Tigermegatron Banned

my vote goes towards the all the X-Men movies.

8. Predaking

Predaking Well-Known Member

^This. The Iron Man movie franchise trump the Batman movies by Chris Nolan. Even though TDK is just as good as the first IM, but I'd rate Batman Begins below IM1 and 2.

My all time superhero movie (top 5):

1. Iron Man
    2. The Dark Knight
    3. Iron Man 2
    4. Spider Man 2
    5. X-Men 2

9. AniProwl

AniProwl Banned

News Credits:
    I'm expecting The Avengers to be phenomenal.

10. John_Force

John_Force 16xNHRA Funny Car Champ TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Iron Man. Solid acting, a sequel and kick-ass special effects. Plus, a amazing Suit.

11. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Blade already exists, thanks.

12. doomboy536

doomboy536 Universe Onslaught fanboy

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    The Incredibles was pretty good...but better than Iron Man? Whilst plugged into a car battery, the half-dying man builds a near-invincible battle suit and proceeds to lay waste to a valley full of bad guys - and that's just the opening act!

I'd broadly agree with that list, but swapping X-men 2 for X-men 3. I like the ideological struggle better than "hay guess what? The good guys and the bad guys have to work together nao lol."

This. Bring on number 3 and the Avengers!

13. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

The Incredibles is a movie about superheroes, not a superhero movie.

Iron Man is a better superhero movie.

14. Digilaut

Digilaut My name is Drift.

News Credits:
    B-b-but what does that make The Fantastic Four? :(  (besides from shit.)

One could easily say 'The Dark Knight' is not a superhero movie, it's a gangster movie with a guy wearing a batsuit..

But it's my goddamn favorite superhero movie, with Spidey2, The Incredibles and Iron Man as runnerups.

15. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

Superman II, Donner edition.

KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

- Coeloptera

16. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

That.... doesn't make any sense.

Okay, Jurassic Park is a movie about dinosaurs. The Valley of Gwangi is a Dinosaur movie. Why is there a difference? Because Dinosaurs actually existed. Hence, you can make a movie about the real creatures as science knows them (which Jurassic Park was at the time) or you can make a stylized, Hollywood version of them, and base your movie around that (Gwangi, King Kong, The Last Dinosaur, The Beast of Hollow Mountain, The Land that Time Forgot, etc. were all this and still are).

Superheroes do not exist in real life, and even if they did, that would make stuff like Kick-Ass, Watchmen, and The Dark Knight "movies about superheroes" as those are the closest to reflecting superheroes in the real world. But the fact that superheroes do not exist in reality, period, makes your claim even more ludicrous. What is it about The Incredibles that makes it "a movie about superheroes" and not a "superhero movie?" The fact that it breaks some of the tropes of the genre? Breaking formula is something that should always be welcomed in any genre. Is it because it's not based off an existing comic book? Just because the film isn't based on an existing property does not make it a less valid entry in the genre. In fact, a superhero film being original goes a long way in making it stand out.

So what is it? What are you implying with this comment, sir?

17. jorod74

jorod74 Psycholagnist (Ret.)

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    FRED the Movie!

18. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Because it doesn't deal with anything your base standard superhero movie does in a specific and deliberate way.

A Superhero movie, generally, deals with X dude getting X powers and learning to master and deal with the consequences thereof. Sequels not withstanding, but even still their journey deals with them further refining powers and the problems that have arisen because.

The Incredibles starts out with everyone having powers, nobody is learning to deal with them, there are none of the associated tropes of the genre that have been laid out as early as the first Superman movie. The superhero premise is simply the backdrop to a different story that isn't really about powers or superheroes. That is why the Incredibles is a movie about superheroes rather than being a superhero move, ergo why I do not consider it a superhero movie.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010