The *People* in the TF HOF *DESERVE* Your Respect

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Pauly T, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Pauly T

Pauly T Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Bob Budiansky
    Peter Cullen
    Yoke Hideaki
    Kojin Ohno
    Steven Spielberg
    and, yes, even
    Michael Bay

All of the above have made significant contributions to this franchise we love so much, and all of them deserve to have their contributions honored and respected by being included in a Transformers Hall of Fame.

And if this Hall of Fame is going to include the fictional characters these people help create, give life, and recreate, then when selecting characters to to be revered alongside these people, there should be some consideration given to choosing characters who have had as much of an impact within the fiction as the people who built it.

That said, when people shirk their responsibility to the history of the franchise they profess to love so much by wasting their opportunity to have their voice heard by making a joke nomination or blindly championing their own personal favorite character, it shows disrespect to the people Hasbro has decided to recognize for the hard work they've done.

Just one fan's opinion, of course...

2. Aernaroth

Aernaroth <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and Veteran

News Credits:
    For all the attention that the character hall of fame gets, these are the people who, one way or another, made it all happen. They're the creative minds that thought up the universe, stories, and characters we love, they're the brilliant engineers who brought those ideas into the real world, and the wonderful actors, directors, and artists who brought them to life.

Every person on this list has earned their spot, and done amazing things for the brand. Without any one of them, there's no telling where Transformers would be today.

3. Pauly T

News Credits:
    Well said.

The point I'm trying to make is that stuff like Erector makes a mockery of the whole thing.

4. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP AKA Beve Stuscemi

News Credits:
    [​IMG]

5. GogDog

GogDog Logic's wayward son Veteran

News Credits:
    The whole concept of honoring a fictional character, most of whom are inducted by the people paid to market them, alongside a real person...

It's two completely different concepts. One is for fun, the other is for serious.

Have you actually SEEN the videos that Hasbro makes for the TF characters who are getting inducted? The whole thing is a tongue-in-cheek, feel good humor session.

When actual human beings are inducted, it's a much more serious affair. The TF section is there just for fun and is completely separate from the humans.

So no, nothing anyone is doing is "disrespecting" the actual humans in the TF HoF. If it is, than Hasbro is just as guilty as any of the fans.

6. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Seeing as the popularity contest for fictional space robots is separate from honoring the people who have contributed to the brand, I don't see how that's the case.

If anything, having fun with the character hall of fame part, especially in supporting lesser-known or quirky characters, is a celebration of the work of those same people.

7. Sideways77

Sideways77 oh shoogah

News Credits:
    What about Corey Burton? He's done plenty of great voices in the Transformers franchise.

8. GogDog

News Credits:
    The OP is acting like Bob Budiansky had to beat out Erector for votes or something...

9. Aernaroth

News Credits:
    Bob: "Oh come on, he only appeared in Zone!"
    Erector: "Car. Wash. Of. Doom."

I kind of wish that the human inductees had a period for fans to nominate inductees, even if the powers that be at Hasbro had the final say. I can understand why they do it the way they do, though.

10. twiztidRodimus

twiztidRodimus Shattered Glass Autobot

News Credits:
    THANK YOU.

I totally agree. We KNOW that the characters are fictional, but this is a fun and interactive awards for us the fans.

11. Pauly T

News Credits:
    You can have fun, champion obscure characters, and still be respectful.

Boner jokes and strained puns over credit card hacking make light of the concept... and aren't even particularly funny.

Minerva and Sky-Byte are great examples of fun, obscure characters that broaden the scope of the HOF.

"Wheeljack cuz WHEELJACK!" or "Anybody from BEAST WARS cuz BEAST WARS!" (especially after both Dinobot and Waspinator-- both well-deserved inductees-- are already in) is just fanboy babble.

The HOF is a chance for Transfandom to have its voice heard, it's not an insane request to ask people to think before they speak.

12. Matty

Matty @StayingInTheBox Moderator News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    I think the HOF is great to a certain extent, but it's entirely Hasbro's. The fans get a single vote for a character and then Hasbro auto-inducts 4-6 people/transformers every year, some of which I disagree with completely. Some voice the fans have.

13. Pauly T

News Credits:
    The paucity of the fan voice in the HOF makes a thoughtful, well-reasoned expression all the more significant. A nominee like Erector or Swindle is just a snarky thumbing of the nose.

Just because TFs are toys made for kids doesn't mean all the fans need to act like children.

14. Matty

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Well, I'm not going to get all worked up about this, but my vote is no where near a "snarky thumbing of the nose." And that's as far as I'm going to take it.

15. Pauly T

News Credits:
    I'm not trying to get worked up either, but all I'm going to say is, "Says the guy with the joke sig image."

Sorry you got hacked. I love Swindle. I don't think he belongs in the TF HOF. I think he belongs in TF: Prime. :) 

16. Matty

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    My candidate is backed with something. I'm going to run with it.

17. GogDog

News Credits:
    You don't have to explain yourself. This happens every year. Just smile and walk away. :D 

18. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    But that's not what he's saying. The simple fact is that Hasbro created the Hall of Fame to induct the most ICONIC and INFLUENTIAL characters and humans that have helped to make the Transformers brand as popular and beloved as it is today. Joke characters like Erector and Swindle have absolutely zero place alongside the likes of Peter Cullen, Optimus Prime and others. How do you think the human inductees would feel if they knew us, the fans, didn't even have enough respect for their hard work and creations to at least put an ounce of care into choosing the fan candidates? They'd surely be less than impressed.

And the only tongue in cheek video that has been created was or Erector. A situation that Aaron Archer and the rest of the team spicifically asked us not to put them in again.

Vote for Wheeljack or BW Megatron.

19. GogDog

News Credits:
    TRANSFORMERS Hall of Fame

Hasbro themselves said that every single TF is eligible.

If there is some elite list that we have to pull from, that's coming from the fans, not from Hasbro's official stance on the matter. Sorry.

Aaron didn't want a dick joke anymore. Guess what? He's not getting one.

20. Pauly T

News Credits:
    I would totally "THIS" this... if it weren't for Wheeljack and BW Megs. :) 

But still, well said.