The part I hate - packaging!

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Fairlady_Z, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I love hunting for new toys! I love finding new toys! I love playing and posing my new TFs too! But, slag, if I don't hate getting them out of the box.

Is it just me, or is there no fun at all involved in the process of taking a toy out of the box anymore? And by that I don't mean the MSIB dilemma, everything I have is out of the box. I'm taking about how toys these days a packaged to the point where a nuclear bomb couldn't dislodge them from the "twist ties of doom." It's a wonder I don't end up with bloody fingers every time I liberate a newly purchased TF from of the poking and proding and untwisting going on. And if the ties are under the bubble wrap glued down to the back of the cardboard (such as happens on Voyagers) it makes me want to scream!

I understand why Hasbro does it, but I just find the whole process of unpackaging my toys tiring. And if I buy more than one, I may not even open it the same day because I hate those twist ties so much. In fact, I've noticed I've started going months without opening my toys, and now I have a whole pile about 4-5 of them stacking up in my closet since Christmas.

Anyone else have this problem and care to share their woes or twist tie horror stories or offer any tips on making "liberating" your toys more fun? I'm just curious how other collectors deal with this part of the toy process because it's starting to really frustrate me.

2. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Anti-theft device since they cant put stickers on the product.

IMO it takes too long for a thief to steal them this way(If your good you can do it in under 20 seconds but it still makes noise.)

3. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    Nail-clippers (human or animal) and a sharp blade. (human nail clippers often have one)

These will obliterate most any kind of resistance. Blade is for the tape, clippers are for twist-ties.

The only thing that bothers me is when they stick parts of the figure through the plastic. Like "WTF, how did they even do that? Assemble the figure IN the box!?" Don't let it get you down.

Don't let them win, brother (or sister), FIGHT the power. If we don't push on, they will, and then it's all over. Fight. Fight for what you KNOW is right.

4. joebot.

joebot. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Instagram:
    Yeah it is really frustrating. My pocket knife comes in handy :]

Some of the movie figures were ridiculous

nice idea on the nail clippers. I'm going to have to add some to my arsenal

5. Admiral Thrawn

Admiral Thrawn Well-Known Member

I like the way some toys will just have a second layer of plastic taped down over the fig inside so no parts shift and you don't have to screw with the twist ties. Sure someone might steal a fig, but really, couldn't a camera catch that? (no not a camera on the box, I mean a security camera like every store has)

6. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

The boxes are a true pain in the ass. I realize the box is meant to be stylized (and that's cool, it does help the toys stand out) but wow. I miss the days when you cut the tape, opened three flaps and slid the inserted toy out of the box. Simple, quick and enjoyable.

Now, it's cut here, unfold there, pull a tab out of slot here and there, etc.

It's ridiculous. Then...you get to the twist ties. GAH! Thankfully, I have nail clippers and wire cutters handy. They make a world of difference on a figure like Armada/Energon/Universe Unicron...who has 26 (!) friggin' ties.

And even then, they're twisted and shoved into crevices all over the figure, so even though you have it freed, you still have more cajoling to do to get enjoyment out of the figure.

I really do miss the days when it was simple. Buy, open, enjoy.

Now you need a map, Indiana Jones expertise, and a lot of luck.

7. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    One thing I've always caught about myself:

Despite having one side with only two planes, I always open the LEFT-hand side of TFA packaging. I don't remember doing the same with the movie packaging, though. I'm sure I always opened the side that meant less work.

8. Fairlady_Z

Oh the packaging definately helpful for stopping shoplifting scum. Never said it didn't.

It's just the feeling I guess I have of of being like a kid on Christmas morning who has no patience whatsoever and wants to play with their new toys right now.

Nail clippers and wire cutters huh? Gotta try those.

I'm also not sure if it helps or hurts that I'm a woman with small hands. Sometimes fingernails come in handy, and sometimes it just makes it harder to rip the box apart.

9. Nachtsider

Nachtsider Banned

News Credits:
    I hate unpackaging stuff nowadays, too. Miss how I used to do it back when G1 was on its original retail run.

10. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Dry built

News Credits:
    If you can, use cat nail-clippers. Because they jut-out they can wrap around the twist-tie easier.

11. Fairlady_Z

I used to have a cat. Not sure I have any cat clipper left. I'll have to check.

12. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A slightly different perspective. I don't like the wires or rubber bands either. It makes me a little sad that Hasbro Transformers seem more Anti-Theft than the Takara versions. Are America's children less moral when it comes to theft? Anyway, I use cutters on the twist-tie wires and scissors on just about everything else.

13. AnimatedFan

AnimatedFan Banned

Heh. I've used the cutting wheel on my Dremel to free my figures before. I couldn't find the clippers, so I figured it would work. Sure enough.

Problem is, it's too easy to damage your figure with one wrong move.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the rubber bands. Those are just awful. They get caught in the ratchet joints and rip and little pieces will get jammed in there and you have to work it out of the figure or it becomes a problem.

I fail to see why the bands are needed when the ties do the same job. Use one or the other, not both.

I'm not sure it's an anti-theft thing either, I think it's a security issue in the sense that they want the figure to be secured to it's packaging and not flying around in pieces during shipment. Though that idea doesn't work either, because I've seen at least three Animated Blitzwings with the nosecone/head section just rattling around the bottom of the box. Plus the Starscreams with their heads detached.

I dunno. It's a pain in the ass, plain and simple.

14. smkspy

smkspy is one nice fucking kitty

Box cutter and Nail clippers...the toy collectors' tools of excavation.

15. Lock Cade

Lock Cade Tarn Fangirl TFW2005 Supporter

I have no regards to the packaging... unless what I got is a collectible worth keeping the box in good condition, such as the case with the 25th anniversary Optimus Prime.

16. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I actually like undoing all the twist ties, as it builds up the anticipation for actually getting the figure out. It's the first, and only, time I'm ever going to unpack this toy and I like to take my time and savor the moment. A box-cutter takes care of the tape on the outsides of the box, peel the tape off the twist-ties and untwist, then unwrap any rubber bands. Never takes me much more than 5 minutes, even for the most complex unpackaging.

17. Grimlocka go-go

Grimlocka go-go Back from the Dead TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I use nail cutters as well, makes quick work outa those little bastards. Only time it's a pain is when the twist tie is actually underneth the figure and plastic, but not through the backing. PITA right there.

18. Omnibus Prime

Omnibus Prime I'm too old for this shit TFW2005 Supporter

[​IMG]

19. Dinobot Nuva

Dinobot Nuva Johnny 3 Tears Veteran

News Credits:
    I've been doing twist ties since I was two, over it at this point. Scissors to cut the tape, and fingers of steel for everything else.

20. Torque

Torque The WORDSMITH

News Credits:
    if ur impatient, i recommend wire cutters. if your REALLY impatient, bolt cutters are more fun ^_^