The Oscars...

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Wheelchairninja, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Wheelchairninja

Wheelchairninja Well-Known Member

Since it's a summer movie, it's probably not going to get recognition for its story, but Spielberg movies have a tendency to get nominated for other stuff. Visual Effects, Editing, Sound effects, etc. I'm betting Visual Effects and Sound Effects Editing. What do you think?

2. Hobbes-timus Prime

Hobbes-timus Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I'm expecting bunches of technical nominations, if not wins.

3. Wheelchairninja

Sounds about right.

4. brothersamuel40

brothersamuel40 Mmm... munchies

I will so laugh if it does get best story, simply because of simplicity and not all the random plot twists I've seen in movies

5. juuubart

juuubart Active Member

it should win the oscar for visual effects. giant robots FTW.

6. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    i dunno. its gonna be hard going up against POTC3, what with the sea battle with the water effects and all.

7. Sky Shark

Sky Shark Well-Known Member

I haven't seen POTC3 but if all its got are water effects that stand out I'll cry rigged if it beats Transformers. I mean with the level of detail done on half the cast(i.e the Transformers). I personally think it will be at least nominated for several oscars. I just hope the voice actors get some love during the oscars. I mean did anyone else notice how at the MTV awards they brought up Micheal Bay, Shia and I think one or two other people and Cullen wasn't even there.

8. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    im not saying water effects are better than super detailed robot. its just that academy members look further than what you see on screen in terms of technical achievement when voting. so giant robots is not an automatic win as far as theyre concern.

9. juuubart

juuubart Active Member

water effects or giant robots? is that really a tough choice to make?

Transformers has the "WOW" thing going for it while people have pretty much gotten tired of watching pirates.

10. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    yeah, but youre saying that like the ppl who vote for oscars are TF fans. considering they old fogeys in the 40-60 year old range, most likely, not fans.

11. boxerperson

boxerperson a ringer...

Won't get any editing awards with the Brawl error in there....lol

12. Wheelchairninja

I'm still not convinced that's an error. Bay flat out said that none of the important material in the movie ever got leaked. So, maybe he was supposed to be called Devastator from the beginning. Maybe calling him Brawl was just meant to throw people off. It makes sense.

13. Incepticon

Incepticon Double Agent

News Credits:
    I have no doubt that we'll see TF nominated for achievement in sound, visual design, special FX, etc. My premature guesses of what it would be up against would be Pirates 3, Harry Potter, 300 and Ratawhatever (the new Pixar movie). I don't think Spider-Man 3 will even be a contender since the CGI was, once again, beyond awful.

But I dunno, something tells me no one in the Academy will let a movie about robot toys directed by Michael Bay win anything. I can definitely see Pirates 3 and 300 cleaning house this year.

14. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

Who'd not LOVE to see Cullen nominated?

15. Draven

Draven Banned

News Credits:
    I would be extremely surprised not to see a slew of nominations for the effects. And if it doesn't win at least one then my faith in the Oscars will remain at zero.

16. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:

Well some of the past oscar winners for visual effects include Independence Day, Spider man 2, Pirates 2, Terminator 2, Aliens. I think it's very well possible that Transformers could get nominated and win. You have to keep in mind, the people who vote on the visual effects category, work in, or used to work in the field of visual effects. According to Rule 22.1 of the Academy Awards "The Academy President shall appoint a chairman who will form a committee from active and life members from the Visual Effects Branch"

I actually love watching the Oscars, I've done so every year since 1996. However I'm a big fan of all things movies. I love old classics, musicals, horror, sci-fi (obviously), romantic comedies, and independent films.

17. Hollywood Hoist

Hollywood Hoist Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    I don't think a voice actor has ever been nominated for an oscar. That being said, I do think they should have a category for best voice actor, since they have best animated feature and best animated short. Voice actors wouldn't be able to compete with screen actors, because people think that using your body and voice is more deserving than just using a voice.

18. Phorpus

Phorpus RHco.

It's a an almost definite shoo-in (or Shoe-in?) for best Visual Effects, sound design can be give or take especially since I haven't even seen the movie yet. But for most of everything else it isn't even going to be winked at.

19. ActionMasterZod

ActionMasterZod LarzArz on twitter, man.

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Best giant robots award.

EDIT:But the race is oretty tight with transmorphers comng out and all.

20. Lateralus

Lateralus Well-Known Member

Giant freaking robots made up of tens of thousands of moving parts? Are you kidding me.