The Oscar Nominations (No RotF Discussion, Please)

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by Gojira Prime, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Gojira Prime

Gojira Prime Narf

http://oscar.go.com/nominations/nominees

Putting aside all the "WTF? RotF didn't get effects nod?" I would like to get some genuine feedback on the nominations in the other categories. As someone who enjoys film both as an art form and as escapist entertainment, I take a lot of interest in the Oscars. In the past, they've pointed out movies I would have never otherwise seen but wound up liking quite a bit (IE: There Will Be Blood), and they've also aroused my ire (how the blazes can someone make a comic book film that transcends its own genre to become a great film period and not get a nod for best picture or best director?). In short, I have fun with the Oscars, one way or another. Granted, the nerd rage often comes before the "maybe I should check this out..." But, that goes without saying.

So there are 10 best picture slots this year. And I must say, congratulations to Up for being the first animated movie since Beauty and the Beast to get a best picture nomination. And also, major props must be given to Blomkamp and crew for getting District 9 up there. Can I get a WHOOP WHOOP for the little sci-fi film that could?

Now, I did not see The Blind Side, An Education, Precious, The Hurt Locker (yet), or A Serious Man (yet), but I can say that Up, Inglorious Basterds, and Up in the Air all deserve thier spots. And District 9, while maybe not everyone's cup of tea, managed to do something really worthwhile with the "mockumentary" format in science fiction. Then, there's Avatar. Oh, Avatar, you just love to laud those effects over us, don't you? But surely, you won't try and take the little golden man away from someone like Jason Reitman or Kathryn Bigelow, would you? Oh, you would? Ok, but you're pretty much a really well-done tech demo up against nine of the most critically acclaimed films of the year. I mean, it's not like you won a Golden Globe or somethin--

Dammit.

So, finally I get all of my favorite live action movies of the year in best picture slots, and a bunch of blue cat peopole come along and guarantee themselve major sweeping. Meaning Up in the Air gets the shaft again and James Cameron's epic LOLcat adventure gets a "WINNER OF 9 ACADEMY AWARDS" sticker on its DVD. I can see the reactions now.

Film Prude: This is perposterous! I demand repercussions!

Me: Curse you, Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, you have shot down my dreams once more.

Neill Blomkamp: Fookin' James Cameron.

*Foo!*

*panting* So, *panting* what do you guys think?

2. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    Avatar probably will get every award it's nominated for, but it so doesn't deserve best picture. IMO, that honor goes to District 9 or UP.

3. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

A link to the nominations would getting help discourse, of course.

4. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

I must say, for the best picture nominations I am torn. I want Up to win because I want a good animated picture to win best picture and I love the medium of animation (note: Ive not seen Up yet, I have it waiting for me, Ive just not watched it). I want District 9 to win because its a fantastic movie and I love the sci-fi genre. I also thought that Inglorious Basterds was fantastic, and I feel that the guy from that movie should win best supporting actor for sure.

5. mineraljane

mineraljane Gravity Hugger

News Credits:
    This was my first response on some major categories after seeing the nominees a few days ago...

Kathryn Bigelow has a really good shot at winning the Best Director Oscar. (She should win too, based upon the film.)

Actor: Jeff Bridges

Supporting Actor: Christopher Waltz

Actress: Meryl Streep (Though Carey Mulligan should win based upon performance.)

Supporting Actress: Vera Farmiga

Animated Film: Up (Though I preferred Fantastic Mr. Fox.)

Documentary: Burma VJ (Though I would prefer The Cove here.)

Writing: Quentin Tarantino

Best Picture: Avatar. Based solely on the Academy's past voting; it does not deserve to win, though. (I loved A Serious Man, but it has no shot as it doesn't seem to have been understood by very many; Hurt Locker was excellent and so was District 9.)

6. Hiraga

Hiraga BILL BILL BILL BILL BILL

News Credits:
    I stopped caring about the Oscars after Gran Torino wasn't nominated for anything in 08.

7. Scantron

Scantron Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The "Best Visual Effects" category should be expanded to 5 nominees. Given the prevalence of movies with heavy CGI, the fact that most of the other major categories have 5 nominees and the expansion of "Best Picture" to 9 nominees, I don't get why the "Best Visual Effects" category is still at only 3. Not that it really would have mattered this year, since Avatar is going to win it.

For "Best Picture", I'd like to see Up win, since it was an excellent movie. However, between Avatar and the various Oscar-bait movies in that category, I don't think it has a chance. Up shouldn't have much problem taking the "Best Animated" category, though. I wouldn't be surprised if Avatar does get "Best Picture", since it's massively successful, has the kind of anvil-dropping 'message' that the Academy seems to love, was a massive technical feat and helmed by Cameron. Not sure I understand why the "Best Picture" category got expanded to 9 nominees, though; Up in the Air, District 9 and (especially) Inglourious Basterds don't seem like they belong with the others.

8. llamatron

llamatron OFFICIAL MMC REP TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Very pleased to see that Avatar didn't get a writing nomination. Hoping that In The Loop takes out adapted.

9. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Veteran

10. Tenebrouser

Tenebrouser Craft...or is it crap?

The Oscars this year are going to be one great big James Cameron s***off-fest.

Pass.

11. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Things that ensured I don't care about the Oscars:
    The Incredibles not getting Best Picture
    Val Kilmer in Tombstone not getting Best Supporting Actor as it went to Tommy Lee Jones as Generic Tommy Lee Jones Character in The Fugitive

I can never understand why people make such a fuss about this massive circle-jerk.

12. McBradders

Because sometimes they hit that nail on the head (No Country for Old Men).

13. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Meh, even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

Unless it's your microwave clock after a power cut.

14. McBradders

:lol 

<3

15. TFfan08

TFfan08 Vigilante

News Credits:
    AMEN!

16. Wheeljack_Prime

Wheeljack_Prime Searching for the Infin-Honey Stones

News Credits:
    gotta remeber that one.

17. Tell_Story

Tell_Story Well-Known Member

I saw "The Blind Side" and like it very much. I'll be buying it on Blu-ray when it comes out. Something I do rarely. Was it Oscar worthy? I think it was worthy of a nomination, but nothing to me says that it is the clear winner. I haven't seen An Education, Precious, The Hurt Locker, A Serious Man and Inglorious Bastards. I did see Up though.

I doubt Inglorious Bastards could touch a movie like The Blind Side or Up. The rest, I just don't know. I was disappointed by The Wrestler. I didn't think it was a great movie and for Mickey Rourke to be nominated for best actor was like being nominated for doing your job. He was good, but to me, nothing that special.

We'll see. I'll be happy if The Blind Side wins. It's a remarkable story.

18. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Ideally I would like to see Inglorious Basterds win, simply because it is everything that old Hollywood pictures used to be....and I really feel like it was the best picture of the year.

However, i kinda want Avatar to win just because it'll probably break the internet in half.

Don't you refuse to watch Tarantino movies?

Either way, IBs is everything that makes up a best picture nominee: an interesting plot, actual scenes that actors act as if they're in a play, great characterization, an eye for authenticity at the expense of commercial success.

19. Blitz Wing

Blitz Wing Triple Threat

Best Picture: I love District 9, but just the nomination is probobly all it could hope for. Of the rest of the list I'd say it'll come down to Avatar and the Hurt Locker.

Beast Actor: Haven't seen Crazy Heart yet, but everyone seems to think that Jeff Bridges is gonna win this. Freeman was great in Invictus though.

Best Supporting Actor: Waltz will win it, but I loved Tucci's portrayel of the killer in Lovely Bones. Haven't seen the Messenger yet, but am looking forward to it even more now that I know Harrelson is nominated.

Best Actress: Bullock was outstanding in Blind Side. I've never liked her in anything before that movie so that's saying something.

Best Supporting Actress: Up in the Air is the only film I've seen in this catagory and neither nominee seemed that great to me. Everyone is saying that Monique was great in Precious.

Best Animated Feature: I'm so sick of Pixar's hold on this award. For the love of God, please give it to Fantastic Mr. Fox, it was superior to Up in every single way.

Best Director: Hurt Locker was amazing without relying on Special Effects, give it to Bigelow.

20. pinoy78

pinoy78 Shoji Kawamori having FUN

Kinda butt hurt about Star Trek not getting a best picture nod.

I believe Kevin Smith said it best.
    No RotF discussion? For an Oscar? DUH! That movie was shit.