The Orphaned Works bill: You will lose the rights to your own art!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ra88, Apr 13, 2008.

1. Ra88

Ra88 Dutchman!

News Credits:
    Source: http://mag.awn.com/index.php?ltype=Columns&article_no=3605&page=1

In short: IT IS A BILL THAT WILL LEGALIZE ART THEFT.
    When that bill passes, you have to put up every image in a registry for a FEE dependent on who are involved, and if not it will be orphaned work and ANYONE can use it for their own profit. Worse, THEY CAN COPYRIGHT/REGISTER YOUR WORK. THIS INCLUDES PICTURES OF YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

There's a chance that this will be shot down, but I'd still recommend all of you to write a letter about this to your senator, or whatever. THIS IS BULLSHIT THAT SHOULDN'T EVEN BE CONSIDERED.

2. Cobalt Agent

Cobalt Agent My dick kills dinosaurs

Life, liberty, property. Property is a right. That includes your home, your land, your dog, your car, your wallet, your money in that wallet, your paycheck, and yes- intellectual property. Man should have the right to the fruits of his labor.

EDIT: Also, does this count as political discussion since it deals with laws and the Congress?

3. The Asp

The Asp Are we having fun yet?

What's next slavery???

How long until YOU & I are considered property?

4. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    Before anyone is going to panic over this, I'd like to see some concrete evidence that this bill actually exists. Like, a bill number or something. The article somehow fails to mention that.

There's no reason to freak out over nonexisting bills, right?

I mean... bonsai kitten, anyone?

5. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    I wholeheartedly agree. We own what we have, therefore, it's OUR property. Not the government's.

Somehow, I feel tempted to make a nasty remark about the government. But I won't.

6. PopCulturePooka

PopCulturePooka Longest running avatar

Copy PAsted from another forum I visit:

Plus:

http://maradydd.livejournal.com/374886.html

And for Nevermore:

H.R. 5439

7. flamepanther

flamepanther Interested, but not really

We're in pretty bad need of some kind of an orphaned works law anyway. With copyright being extended to ridiculous lengths in recent decades thanks to the Walt Disney Corporation, it becomes possible for certain works to become completely unavailable to anyone for an entire lifetime. An orphaned works law could rescue books that have been allowed to fall out of print with no intention of reissue, or legalize "abandonware" games and applications that have actually been abandoned by their authors. We are in bad need of copyright reform, and an orphaned works law is one way of addressing this.

8. Bryan

Bryan ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This is keeping me up at night.

Okay, that's not true.

9. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Agreed. Reform really needs to happen to allow works to more easily fall into the public domain. Abandonware is becoming a problem, and while I dont know enough about current laws and issues, I'm not sure this is the best solution, but I am glad that somebody is at least making an effort to remedy a solution.

I also agree with Pooka's copy-paste from another forum. The opening article is likely just gross sensationalism.

10. Nevermore

Nevermore It's self-perpetuating a parahumanoidarianised!

News Credits:
    See, that's better. Basically, it was just "PANIC PANIC PANIC" for a whole lot of nothing.

Thanks for the facts, mate. :) 

11. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I liked the panic version better. So much more... DRAMATIC!

12. Methos

Methos ...Hail Megatron

Something to think about.

Games,movies,movie stars,and toy companies would have to regester each and everyone of there photos at a loss of profit.

Imagine if Hasbro doesn't get the Autobot image regestered with every group,someone else would have the copyright for it.

13. Gigatron_2005

Gigatron_2005 President of Calendars

Oh boo-hoo! Companies have to spend money to protect their copyright. Its the cost of simply doing business. If they wont take a risk, protect their copyright to a reasonable degree, and spend money they don't deserve to make any money.

Then we would get "KO" companies making legal reissues. Awesome! That would be a nice win since Has/Tak seems to be so stubborn and random about what toy gets reissued and when. We had a reissue Kup and Wheelie but have not yet had any reissue Dinobots. If the copyrights to these toys and their images were public domain I'm sure somebody would be kind enough to supply the market with something they want.

14. Moonscream

Moonscream YES, We EXIST!

News Credits:
    Brick by brick my citizens...

'Reasonable diligence' is too subjective of a term. Lawyers are going to be defining this for the companies, in favor of the companies paying them as much as lawyerly possible.

The thing is, companies who want to take advantage of this aren't going to go after the works of companies and artists who are capable of defending their works. They're going to go after the works of millions of amateurs online, especially the webcartoonists who have an audience the company might want to lure. If there becomes a requirement for registration of individual works of art, none of them are going to be able to afford to do so for every strip. Can you imagine trying to afford even just a $1 fee per strip for something like Sluggy Freelance which has over 10 years of daily strips and sketches?

Brick by brick...

--Moony