The ORIGINAL original G1 cartoon series

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by Gregatron, Jul 24, 2006.

1. Gregatron

Gregatron Member

The time is right to lauch a renewed campaign to re-release G1 on DVD since companies like Sony BMG and Metrodome are more likely to listen (due to the added buzz from the 2007 live-action TF movie, and the fact that the Rhino sets are out of print).

Logically, if Sony gets into the game first and does a good job with a re-release, it would probably trickle down to Metrodome in the UK and elsewhere around the world, as the Rhino versions did.

The live-action movie is already generating hype, and a new and better release of the old series makes sense.

The releases we've gotten in the US (particularly) and the UK have had big problems, and we really do need a good preservation of the REAL series, not some version patched together from incomplete animation and bad computer fixes with "enchanced" sound.

So, with demand building, I'd say that by the time the live-action film is released, there will be new DVD releases of the series from Sony, at the very least. Question is, will they merely reuse the Rhino masters, or will they listen to all the complaining we've been doing for years and years, and fix the situation?

When Rhino got the license and started releasing episodes in a piecemeal fashion on video (based on the 1" broadcast masters) in the late 90s, I thought it was a good thing. Many of these episodes I hadn't even seen during the original run.

But, even then, there were problems.

1. Some episodes had the wrong opening titles, and were missing the white-lettered episode titles/writer credits/end titles.

2. There were numerous little errors on the packaging, like the statwement that Unicron forms a team called "the Unicrons" in the Movie.

3. At first, in Region 1, we got the international version of The Transformers: The Movie on video, with the opening credits replaced by Star Wars-style scrolling text narrated by Victor Caroli, and additional narration at the end of the film. It wasn't until after the Rhino TFTM DVD came out that the uncut US version was released on VHS.

4. The "Heroes" disc (which was originally supposed to contain "The Rebirth") was initially mispressed, and contained the "Villains" disc's content ("The Ultimate Doom") instead.

But even with these gaffes, I was very, very excited to hear that the series would be coming out on DVD. I eagerly bought the Rhino season 1 set, and sat down to enjoy. I remember that night well.

As "More Than Meets the Eye, Part 1" started, my heart sank. I couldn't be hearing what I thought I was hearing, could I? There was a whole bundle of obtrusive sound effects that had been added to the episode! And then I noticed that the first scene bumper in the episode moved and flipped too fast (as opposed to the more staccato motion of the bumpers from MTMTE). It was as if they'd taken the flipping Autobot/Decepticon symbol and replaced it with one of the faster-moving variations from a later episode! And then I began to notice other such errors and "Rhino-fixes", one after another after another.

I was somewhat relieved when I toggled my "audio" button and could hear the original soundtrack, though. But as I made my way through the DVD set, I noticed that some episodes had the new sound mix on both 5.1 and 2.0 audio tracks. And then I saw the abomination that was "Heavy Metal War"-by-way-of-Rhino. Bleeeeccchhhh! On eof my favorite episodes---utterly ruined and unwatchable!

After finishing with the episodes, I then delved into the extras and the insert booklet, which were confusing, useless, and full of factual and spelling errors in many cases.

UGH.

And it proceeded from there. The purchase of each season set for both Transformers and G.I. JOE was not "Oh, boy! I can't wait to see all these classic episodes again, and on DVD, to boot!", it was "Ohhhh, boy. I just can't wait to see what horrors Rhino has given us this time!"

I've posted several threads at the influential Home Theater Forum website (The one-stop place for such discussions, since the studios keep an eye on the fourms--and participate in discussions, too!) regarding both TF and G.I. JOE (Which Rhino never even finished releasing before they lost the license!).

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/showthread.php?t=216647

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/showthread.php?t=235653

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/showthread.php?t=164121

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/showthread.php?t=235650

And here's a great site that reviews the Rhino DVDs (with screencaps of a mere handful of those horrid errors and "fixes"):

http://kenshiroh.tripod.com/

Please feel free to register and voice your concerns! I hope Sony BMG in the US and Metrodome in the UK can get it together and put those shoddy Rhino versions to shame!

It just drives me nuts that these crappy Rhino versions with all sorts of "new" errors and added sounds and such are slowly supplanting the "real" versions.

It's almost along the same lines as the controversy over the Star Wars Special Editions, except here the changes aren't being made by the original filmmakers.

The original versions must be preserved for the sake of historical accuracy! And SOON!

For my part, I'd love to see:

The original series released in full season sets (none of this "Part 1", "Part 2" stuff).

1. The episodes in the proper chronological order, DVD versions based on the uncut 1" broadcast masters (with original mono sound mixes), the PROPER main/end titles and recaps/historical trailers for all episodes (Check out Rhino's version of "Five Faces of Darkness"! Some parts have the FFOD intro, others have the main season 3 intro! UGH!), and the original commerical bumpers, as in the Rhino versions (but with a "watch without bumpers" seamless branching option for everyone who complains about the bumpers).

2. Text or audio commentary. And none of the stereotypical gushing "fan commentaries", either! I'm talking about detailed, fact-laden commentaries (that give original airdates, trivia, things to watch for, etc.) by fans in the know, like me, Chris McFeely, Zobovor, etc.

3. G1-themed menus that use imagery from the series and background music from the series (none of the CGI-crap from the Rhino sets). There could also be a section where one can listen to the G1 background music cues, season by season (similar to the Red Dwarf DVDs).

4. G1-themed packaging and extras based on each season (For example, season 1 would have season 1-themed extras and packaging).

5. GOOD, G1-themed extras, like a documentary on the history of season 1 and the 1984 toys (for the season 1 set, with each succesive set focusing on the episodes/toys from that year), the origins of the TF franchise, voice actor/writer/producer interviews (and not having interviews with people from other series--like RID's Neil Kaplan--on a G1 DVD set!), season-by-season character model sheets/storyboards/scripts (full scripts with stage directions and such, not just dialogue), and season by season toy commercials (for example, 1984 commercials on the season 1 DVD set).

And please, no more Transformers-convention-documentaries-pretending-to-be-worth -while-extras!

Fidelity to the original broadcast versions is vital.

That would be a start.

I've looked for non-US releases that would be better than the Rhino versions, but the results have not been encouraging. Most use the Rhino versions (or even taped-from-tv bootleg versions) as their basis.

So please, make yourselves heard at Home Theater Forum, as well as here. If we coordinate a combined Region 1-2 effort and petition Sony and Metrodome at the same time, everyone may very well be pleased by the results!

And check out the Metrodome's Region 2 Transformers DVD forum for more discussion!

http://forum.transformersdvd.com/

2. Chaos Muffin

Chaos Muffin Misadventure Veteran

I love Rhino for going that extra mile to get us our classics, but hate them at the same time for messing with them too much. Really hate that stupid rhino that wobbles around, looks like a car salesman in an cheap rip off game of Animal Crossing

Sign me up for ANY dvd petition for any TF line. And the more true to it's original form the better.
    But who has the funds to produce them?

3. rattrap007

rattrap007 Insert witty comment here TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I just want my GI Joe Season 2 pt 2

4. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    I'm perfectly happy with the Rhino sets. If anything, the current company with the rights should just rerelease that. There are too many great upcoming toys that have my attention right now.

Plus, I'm looking forward to the rumored Armada part two set, and hopeful for box sets of the rest of the recent series, going back to Robots in Disguise.

5. Shaun_C

Shaun_C The REAL One True fan Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

As am I

I perfectly willing to buy the rerelease of the movie.But not in buying all 98 episodes of G1 AGAIN

And the reason Rhino and might I mention other companies release cartoon series DVDs season by season is because otherwise it'd cost more then what the Rhino sets already cost.

And the extras are good to some people.In fact I LOVE watching the Convention documentaries.It helps get me geared up for BotCon which I'm going to in a few months:D 

And the rerelease of TFTM alread has commercials on them

6. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Lets get the Headmasters, Masterforce, and Victory stateside first. RID would be nice too.

7. KidDynamite

KidDynamite don't know nothing Veteran

I would bet money that Sony BMG will do new G1 box sets, starting within the next 12-18 months. And judging by the packed nature of their Movie DVD, I expect they will probably do a pretty good job of it too.

8. Xcandescent

Xcandescent TRUKKS are the new MUNKYS

I totally agree that Sony should take the effort to get the soundtrack right if they re-release the G1 sets ... but having already spent an arm and a leg getting the Rhino releases, I don't think I'd want to buy them again unless I could sell off the Rhino sets for a decent amount.

With the new movie coming next summer, it's almost impossible to imagine that Sony WOULDN'T do new box sets -- at least of the first couple seasons.

I'd like Headmasters, etc. subbed and on DVD too, but it seems less likely.

-XCN-

9. Nightrain

Nightrain Senior Villain

News Credits:
    I can't find season 2 or season 3 now. So yeah, please release them.

10. KidDynamite

The Rhino sets sell for ridiculous amounts of money these days, so if you sold them as soon as an announcement is made on new sets you'd probably be able to trade up to new sets and have a couple hundred left over.

11. Nerd Bomber

Nerd Bomber Consulting your needs

My ten month old nephew loves that thing.

12. jourdo

jourdo TFW2005 Supporter

Ebay:
    Agreed! I'm more interested in getting the Japanese series over here. As for G1, I'm satisfied with what Rhino gave us.

13. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Count me in with those who are satisfied with Rhino's DVDs. I would prefer if they came out with newer stuff such as Japanese G1 TF boxsets etc.

14. snkeyes069

snkeyes069 Legend in his own mind TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    For the Rhino releases, I wish they were done properly from the start (corrected animation, remastered sound WITHOUT added effects).

That having been said, re-releasing the set corrected would be too expensive for most of us. I, personally, can't justify owning 2 copies of everything just because I don't earn that much money.

What should be done (but won't) is what was done for the Back to the Future movies. We should be able to return the defective disks for corrected replacements.

(For those who don't know, the framing for BTTF 2 and 3 was incorrect, causing excessive space at the top of the movie, but cutting off the bottom. This is most obvious where Doc Brown presses the dryer on Marty's jacket in the beginning of BTTF2; in that scene Doc's hand is cut off so you never see him press the jacket button, yet the top 1/3 of the movie shows a brick wall. http://www.angelfire.com/film/bttf2/ )

15. Foster

Foster Super Mod

News Credits:
    Japanese G1 boxsets are an excellent idea. I'd support those for sure. Even if the audio was "fixed" on the US G1 sets (and I don't hear anything wrong on them) the multitude of animation errors will never be corrected.

16. Tekkaman Blade

Tekkaman Blade Professor of Animation

News Credits:
    With all these anime companies around trying to make money, I'd love to see a professional group release subbed/ dubbed versions of the japanese transformer series. Since cullen is involved in the movie right now, now would be the perfect time to have him voice Prime in the first 3 episodes of the headmasters series. with the headmaster series they would have to try to match the voices as closely as possible to the american series, but after that they could pick and choose the best voices for the rest of the Japanese series. With the movie coming out now would be the perfect time to do it.

17. KidDynamite

Wishful thinking. Universal fixed the BTTF discs because Universal put them out and screwed them up. Sony is not going to replace a totally different company's screw ups. And that is not to mention that Rhino never considered the discs defective in the first place...they put the stupid sound effects in there on PURPOSE, whereas Universal accidentally misframed BTTF2.

18. KMITB

KMITB The dub voice of Prime

News Credits:
    I am in for all new sets. I have said this since we got the sets from Rhino. These stes were put together with not much thought and those sound effects make the series tough to watch. If they wouldn't have screwed up the 2.0 / 5.1 mess, it may not have been a huge deal. Then again, watching "Heavy Metal War"....the horror!!!