The Original G1 Cartoon Has Left Me Very Dissatisfied...Anyone Else Feel The Same Way

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by GrimlockAutobot, May 2, 2008.

1. GrimlockAutobot

GrimlockAutobot Me No Bozo Me King!!

News Credits:
    I recently decided to go back and watch all of the original G1 cartoon episodes. I've been pumped for TF:A and it got me wanting to watch the original cartoon all over again.

I own the entire G1 cartoon series on DVD and I haven't watched any of the epsiodes since my childhood. I remember the original series being so awesome and IMO the greatest TF series of all time.

Boy, was I wrong. Through the first 7 or 8 episodes I have to say the series pretty much SUCKS. Talk about a letdown. I look at my collection and think about my childhood and watching this cartoon and to say the least so far it's pretty damn lame.

The writing/plots are terrible, the dialogue is lame and cheesy, and don't get me started on the animation. The G1 cartoon is just terrible pretty much all the way around.

Does it get any better? Should I continue watching? Are there any episodes that are can't miss? If not I might just stop watching it right where I'm at.

Does anyone feel the same way I do about the original G1 cartoon? TF:A just blows it out of the water. IMHO The best thing about the original G1 cartoon was the movie that came out in 1986.

2. swarlock

swarlock Autobot Supporter

No.

Liked it then. Still like it alongside TFA.

3. Izzo01

Izzo01 Well-Known Member

lol .... there no way its going to make sence the G1 cartoon has been and always will be just a half hour commercial with some good stories tossed about sparingly and it worked. As were most "shows" from the eighties. There wasnt any Huge fanbase that demanded good stories like there is now ,so just love it for what it was.

4. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    I understand where you’re coming from when you say that G1 is a bit lacking; especially when you see it as an adult and compare it to the programs of today. Still, if you take into account cartoons as a whole back then Transformers storytelling and animation were pretty much on par with anything else that was on television (with a few exceptions). I watch it today and do cringe at a few parts here and there, but I still love it. It introduced me to Transformers and it made me love the toys then and now. I can’t quite put my finger on it (maybe it’s strictly an emotional attachment, I don’t know) but even with all of its flaws, G1 is and always will be very near and dear to me.

5. MACRAPTRON

MACRAPTRON Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    No.

6. Ace96

Ace96 Well-Known Member

I have tried to watch some of the other series and just couldn't do it. G1, as far as I am concerned, is the only way to go.

7. Noisemaze2006

Noisemaze2006 Banned

I have a hard time watching G1.

I'm more in it for the toys than the shows. I don't care much for the shows, G1 is lame,Beast Wars is okay at best,didn't see Beast Machines, RID sucked, didn't see Armada,Energon sucked, LOVE Cybertron, now Animated sucks. But at least the toys were cool from all those series. That's why I hate Animated so much, it's the first series where I don't like the show & I can't get into the toys either.

8. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    It does get better in Season 2 & 3. I know some people hate season 3 but I dig it. When watching it try not to think of it as the greatest show ever like you thought when you were a kid, but for what it was.

9. Grimlock_13

Grimlock_13 Reformed Geewunner

News Credits:
    I can barely make it through G1 myself. The characters are still my favorite, but, to put it bluntly, the show was just a standard 80's crapfest. Don't get me wrong there are some fun episodes and it will always be my favorite generation, but it's rough. REALLY rough.

10. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

QFT

Some eps not to be missed:

Ultimate Doom/Countdown to Extinction, Heavy Metal War, The Imobilizer, Enter the Nightbird, Derertion of the Dinobots, Key to Vector Sigma pt. 1 & 2, War Dawn, Trans-Europe Express, Starscream's Brigade/Revenge of Bruticus, Five Faces of Darkness, Dark Awakening, Starscreams's Ghost/Ghost in the Machine, Only Human, Burdon Hardest to Bear.

The appeal of G1 comes from the voice actors and the variety of character archtypes and the background mythos that developed around the history of Cybertron, the Quintessons, etc as the series went on.

11. Mega-con

Mega-con Autocon

Ebay:
    Since I've bought the collection, I've watched the entire series twice all the way through. I'm sure I'll watch it again.

12. Elvin Pena

Elvin Pena <b><font color=red>CyberCon is #1!</font></b> Veteran

News Credits:
    Agreed! That's what gave the show that epic feeling.

13. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Well if you hate it so much sell it on the boards(to ME!!!)

14. Team Jetfire

Team Jetfire Pop-POP!

News Credits:
    I love watching the old stuff. Sure it is a little campy and somethings don't make sense, but it sure brings me back to being a kid.

15. danny_the_mad

danny_the_mad The lost Autobot

i watched the first three seasons almost back to back recently (had a night shift job), and i was transported 20 years into the past, where i felt like a kid again.

nothing beats a classic, in my opinion.

16. IACON

IACON "That's Vector Sigma?" TFW2005 Supporter

No. Sorry man. The G1 cartoons are
    my bread and butter.

17. Cungitron

Cungitron Destroyer of Worlds

News Credits:
    Loved it then, Love it now, Always will.

18. weeklyhero

weeklyhero Prototytan

Totally agree. I can't watch G1 without either laughing or pointing out mistakes through every episode.

19. Fit For natalie

Fit For natalie tfwiki nerd

News Credits:
    Some of the worst parts of G1 was when the writers struggled to come up with socially-acceptable insults for the Autobots to throw at the Decepticons.

I believe the best they came up with was "Metal dumb-dumb".

20. seeker311

seeker311 The Collector

News Credits:
    Nope, the only thing that disappointed me was Armada