The Origin Story for the Dinobots

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by forceflex, Apr 26, 2008.

1. forceflex

forceflex Member

I worry about the Dinobots. In a cartoon, the Dinobots make sense in a cartoonish way. In a live-action movie, mechanized robots that transform into dinosaurs are a bit of a stretch. Cars, pickups, trucks, planes, tanks make sense as robots as they are machines in the first place. In the cartoon, Wheeljack and Ratchet built the Dinobots, but that doesn’t make sense in a movie.

For film purposes, I believe the origin story for the Dinobots should be that they are transformers that arrived on Earth during the Jurassic period. They lacked enough energon to leave Earth so they transformed into their surroundings, i.e. dinosaurs. They roamed the Earth until the last of their energon was used at which point they shut down and were buried by the passage of time.

The Dinbots were warriors. Megatron, who had yet to betray the Transformers and establish the Decepticons, saw the Dinobot Warriors as a threat to his future plans. What the Dinobots lacked in intelligence, they make up for in strength and fearlessness when compared to the “newer” models. Megatron killed Alpha Trion, but framed the Dinbots for “intentional deactivation.” Some, including Megatron, argued that the Dinobots should be destroyed as punishment, but Optimus Prime, a young protégé of Alpha Trion, argued for banishment instead and the Dinobots were casted off Cybertron. Either way, Megatron had eliminated the perceived threat.

Prime’s message at the end of TF1 to “the Autobots taking refuge in the stars” awakens Grimlock, whose energy banks have slowly replenished over millennia. Grimlock digs himself out from underneath layers of earth and goes on a rampage to attract Optimus Prime. A giant robot T-Rex attracts the attention of the Autobots to say the least. The Autobots arrive on scene and try to stop the metal T-Rex to no avail. The dinosaur is just too powerful.

Optimus Prime recognizes Grimlock even though he is in his beast mode. Prime calls out Grimlock’s name and he transforms into the robot mode. “Me, Grimlock, kill him who exile me.” Grimlock, now in robot mode, attacks the Autobots and is about to strike a killing blow to Ironhide. Suddenly, Grimlock’s batteries die and Grimlock collapses.

The Autobots recharge Grimlock, but with his motor functions disabled. Naturally, Grimlock has a chip on his shoulder that has been building for millions of years. Grimlock is none too pleased and blames all other Transformers for his fate. Prime apologizes as he realizes the Dinobots were framed. After Megatron started the Cybertronian wars, evidence was found of the Dinobots’ innocence and Megatron’s deception, but it was too late to exonerate the Dinobots as they were already gone. Prime: “Alpha Trion was a teacher to both of us. We dishonor Alpha Trion’s memory if we fight one another.” Moved, Grimlock asks to be released. Prime orders Grimlock’s motor functions enabled despite Ironhide’s warnings. Grimlock springs to life, transforms into the T-Rex, and lets out a mighty roar. There are rumblings in the distance and a screech from above. Swoop dives in and nearly takes Bumblebee’s head off. Snarl comes charging at the Autobots. Suddenly, all three Dinobots transform into robot mode and approach the Aubobots calmly. Grimlock: “Us, Dinobots, want Megatron.”

The Dinobots never again trust any Transformers, Autobot or Decepticon, and as such, are difficult to control. They, however, have a strong desire to hurt Megatron and the Decepticons so the Dinobots become uneasy and temperamental allies of the Autobots.

What do you think? What should the origin story for the Dinobots be?

2. lightdestroyed

lightdestroyed Stronger than all!

Well thought out, but (IMO), I just don't think the Dinobot story and functionality will make for a sensible plot line in a live action movie.

3. krade

krade Well-Known Member

it would have to be kept simple for everyone,it's not everybody who are deeply into transformers as we are!

i would see them as the guardian of the matrix of leadership on their way to earth after prime messages at the end of tf1.

because megatron was after the matrix,the order of prime use the dinobots to transport the matrix to his next owner,here optimus prime and because megatron most feared ennemy was grimlock,they were the perfect choice.

on there way to earth onboard the ark,a battle with the nemesis damage both vessel who crashed on earth

4. Velcrohead

Velcrohead Banned

You truly lead a blessed life.

5. Poho

Poho That's MISTER Poho to you

News Credits:
    there is truth in that statement.

anyway i like your idea, but like most others, i just don't think it's feasible to have dinosaur robots.

6. Spiderus Prime

Spiderus Prime TFW SpongeBob and TTV's MS 2.0

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Swoop come out during a fossie hunt.

7. DeathsHead

DeathsHead Well-Known Member

The cartoon version of events was always a poor second runner to the comic IMO. I watched that episode recently and it's not one of the cartoons finest hours...

If you take the comic version of events the dinobots are the result of the Ark reworking the crack autobot squad into what it saw (correctly for once!) as the dominant species of the planet after it crash lands on prehistoric earth.

Their task of course was to take down Shockwave, he having just shown up on Earth. The Dinos successfully trap Shockwave in a tar pit, but not without winding up stuck in there themselves (which is a nice nod to humankinds own discoveries of preserved life in tar pits) and are only revived millions of years later by Rachet, who needs them to take on their old enemy Shockwave once again.

Plus the comics did Grimlock the great service of NOT having him talk in that ridiculous "Me Tarzan, you Jane" fashion. Always hated that.

8. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Hmmm.. how about none for the dinobots and LEAVE THEM AWAY FROM THE LIVE ACTION MOVIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    It would be really cool to see the dinos, no doubt about it, what could be better than a transforming mechanical T-rex?

But with the "no mass-shifting" policy, he will be smaller than starscream or prime himself, which would kill a lot of the appeal of the character.

10. Chaos Sorcerer

Chaos Sorcerer Well-Known Member

With the movie's Protoform to scanned Alt mode idea, about the only logical way I can come up with Big Grim turning into a Dinosaur is for his protoform to crash down somewhere like the Smithsonian, and have him scanning an exhibit. I just can't see it happening though, the idea sounds silly even typing it. :lol 

Other than that, you could have him/them have chased Megatron to Earth back when he got frozen, but it contradicts the timeline they claim for Megs in the first film by millions of years.

11. vektsilver

vektsilver Transorganic member

I have had a similar idea in a much older thread but find there is only one way to introduce the dinobots as an actuall plot device and great reveal mechanism for the movie. Even though you know they arent going to do Dinobots in the movie.

It is very plainly based on the mechanisms of the movies intro, you only need establish character and motives.

The Dinobots, during the War with Decepticons, decided to flee Cybertron fearing the end was near. The Dinobots of course are not stupid but lets say common sense escapes them.....alot , so they dont realize how large and powerful they are in comparison with other autobots or TFs. Hence they are more afraid of conflict and escaped to Earth which can be one of the reasons that the allspark was drawn to earth.

The Dinos chose earth to hide as organic creatures to avoid the decepticons. Now fast forward millions of years to present day. An easy start of the introduction would be to use the rumors that are abound of dinosaurs still existing in the deep jungle (There are actual rumors/myths in real life on this stuff like loch ness) . Sam's roomate for the sequel sounds to be perfect for myths since he is a conspiracy kid.

Now the myths in this case are true and we can say the reason these dinosaurs escaped extinction is that they are the dinobots. They also didnt respond to bumble bee's call in fear of it being a decepticon trick.

Unfortunately I kinda got stuck with how do you get a band of dinobots not willing to reveal them selves to the general public to do so and the only thing i can think of is something with the allspark piece shows prime where they are or they could finally be tired of the years of isolation after picking up tv broadcast internally seeing optimus on tv or something.

The great thing about the Dinobots being on earth all this time is that due to only having them selves to talk to they have become a little crazy so it would make sense if they talked in 3rd person. So when say Grimlock speaks approving of something, instead of "ME GRIMLOCK LIKE" you get "Grimlock likes" small change but effective. Another great device is the innacurate self image they have thinking they are not that big and upon being convinced they are much more powerfull than they credit themselves become enraged at the decepticons that are terrorizing earth. Millions of years of hiding and fearing boiling over in one epic storm of anger.

Here is the heartbreaker though after losing control on the deceps there are two options for an ending they either take the cliche remote dinobot island approach and go back into hiding or the type B approach which I hate to say sounds more feasible which is they die.

They die because after the carnage ends with the deceps they have become so completely unhinged that they start attacking evertying buildings people autobots and it forces prime and the others to put them down, of which prime would have the last shot to stop grimlok and it would be a remorseful end.

Honestly I practically have it all written i just need to pluck my prior entries out of these message boards and it makes for a nice sequel prequel :) 

12. soundwave34

soundwave34 OBSESSED Transformers Fan

It sounds to much like Transformers Animated Dinobots.
    "Tell Grimlock good part of story!"