The origin of Cosmos

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by kipco, Oct 13, 2007.

1. kipco

kipco Cybertronian Relastate

Okay, here's my issue. Does anyone know the origin of Cosmos. You know, the little ufo G1 guy. Here is my problem. Space creatures come to earth and scan local machines in order to blend in to their environments. When your a 14 foot tall robot you gotta hide sometimes, and what better way than to turn into a Jeep. Your a scientist from Cybertron, great, on earth you can turn into a magnifying glass. Love music and communications, why not turn into a boom box. Medical officer of the bunch? Turn into an ambulance. Your a space creature and love flying, why not turn into a....Space Ship??? ARE YOU FREAKIN' KIDDING ME?? A FREAKIN SPACE SHIP??? Man, this guy was just asking for trouble. How did that scan get okay'ed?!He clearly is not a Cyberton ship. Nothing on that planet looked like it came from a 50's B movie. Did Teletran 1 give him that form? If so that computer must have hated the guy! Prime should have fired him the first time he transformed unless he was "special" and they used him as a tax write off. I can see it now, "Autobots, transform and roll.....uh, Cosmos....please tell me your not a friggin' ufo." I've had such passionite conversations with my buddies about this and as my face is turning red they look at me like in that "you need a life" kinda way. What do you guys think?

2. Harlequin Daniel

Harlequin Daniel Captain Grumpy

Cosmos was the guy that carried the season 2 Autobots to earth, stuff a disguise.

3. decepticon665

decepticon665 the amazing bored-man!

i was under the impression that he was just one of the characters who was never reformatted to earth-i understood his spaceship mode to be his original,cybertronian alternate mode.

4. kipco

kipco Cybertronian Relastate

so if that was his original form, that means that as high tech as they were on cybertron, the best they could do was that?? maybe he was flyin' all around here in the 50's and crashed at area 51 too.

5. decepticon665

well,according to idw,that's kind of what happened to soundwave in the new continuity...

6. Insane Galvatron

Insane Galvatron is not insane. Really!

News Credits:
    Yeah, I just figured it was his Cybertronian mode and he was the reason for all the "sightings" over the years.

7. decepticon665

yeah,he keeps getting lost since he was the roswell crash in the 40s.

8. Pravus Prime

Pravus Prime Sorcerer

News Credits:
    Pretty much, yeah. It was his G1 Cybertronian form.

And IMHO, he's a great Transformer, and I really hope somehow we see the Titanium mold that was designed for him, either in Classics 2.0 or something.

9. decepticon665

so,the story is that he was the crash at roswell in the 40s,was taken as the basis of area 51 and all u.f.o. images are just of his cybertronian form?

somebody email simon furman!we jusy wrote the cosmos spotlight issue for him!!

10. SMOG

SMOG Vocab-champion ArgueTitan

Right... I always assumed it was his Cybertronian mode. Sure, it looks like a 50's flying saucer, but that has no meaning with regards to Cybertronian tech. He might be the most advanced TF spaceship ever for all we know. Considering that most of the Cybertronian tech we've seen is 4 million years old or so, it could be that 1950's era flying saucers are the best and latest model! :) 

Dude's a little fast, manoeuvrable, fuel-efficient recon and communications ship. I think his alt mode suits him perfectly.

zmog

11. Dropshot

Dropshot Transform your destiny

News Credits:
    Not every alternate mode was meant for hiding, the best examples are the pretenders, they have an outer shell that can perfectly blend with the native lifeforms, but the decepticons chosed monster forms... so they can never blend.

Or maybe cosmos was a housewive who spend all the time cleaning the ark and never got permission to go out...

12. Grimwing

Grimwing Scientist Supreme

News Credits:
    Well its really just alot of fun as a minibot. as pocket money toys go a flying saucer robot is classic fun.

one thing I like about cosmos is he performs a reversed mass shift in the cartoon.
    example: soundwave changes from tiny tape recorder to huge robot by dropping unnessary mass into temporary subspace.

Cosmos is at full size in Saucer mode able to transfer supplies and troops between cybertron and earth. But drops his mass into subspace for robot mode. While still a large robot he's more in scale with other minibots at this mode.

13. Greyryder

Greyryder Kitbashed

Most of the aircraft guys did the same thing. Fighters dwarf cars. It would be like a deluxe against a mini-con. The seekers could have just stepped on most of the Autobots. I just consider it molecular compression. The mass is still there, but now it's more dense. Great for better armor in robot mode, and keeps the vehicle mode light enough to fly.

14. Xaxis

Xaxis Well-Known Member

I never really gave Cosmos' alt mode a second thought, as he showed up after the Transformers presence was known on Earth. What really got me about Cosmos was that he sounded like Peter Lorre doing a bad Scottish/Mexican hybrid accent. :D 

15. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    He was drunk when he scanned his alt mode, obviously.

16. Feralstorm

Feralstorm I ship Nick & Judy TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The little sky-spy satellite from the Ark crashed into a used bookstore and was laying lens-down on a sci-fi paperback when scanning for aly-modes for Cosmos (and no one noticed)

17. Fairlady_Z

Fairlady_Z Official Voice of Flareup

I like Cosmos. I always just thought his alt mode fit his fuction of deep space transportation and exploration. I never thought about it more than that.

18. Lance Halberd

Lance Halberd oh hai

News Credits:
    I agree with your friends.

Also, Perceptor was a microscope, not a magnifying glass.

19. Ironhide2005

Ironhide2005 PS3tag=DeaDPooLTFW

News Credits:
    Man it was the '80s I liked cosmos one of my favorites of the minibots brawn will allways be number one but still

20. SureShot90

SureShot90 Peace=superior firepower

Ebay:
    Sometimes i think ppl forget the fact they were made for being toys, and nothing stuffed with rocket science behind it. They made som sculpts they liked.

Cosmos is my favorite minibot.