The Optimus-Rodimus Pickle

Discussion in 'Transformers General Discussion' started by jets, Dec 29, 2009.

1. jets

jets Member

I don't know if this has been discussed but there was a question I always asked myself when watching G1 cartoons as a kid.

Hod Rod got the matrix and grew instantly into a larger and more powerful Autobot. His voice got deeper and got Prime slapped on the end of his name. He even grew a trailer out of his...well you get it.

What I never understood is why Optimus didn't shrink into a little runt and lose his trailer when he lacked the matrix within him? I get that he died when it was removed but even still I expected him to regress into a smaller chump once reactivated. Similar thing with Magnus... he just stayed the same. Heck his name didn't even change so it's no wonder he got pummeled 20 minutes after becoming a matrix-warmer for Galvatron.

Just an observation from 10 year old me...any thoughts?

2. FuryStrike

FuryStrike Autobot

it's actually a simple thing. Optimus was -built- like that. To be that large, -and- to house the Matrix. Hot Rod was the Chosen One so a mystical transformation occurred. In the Comics both Thunderwing and Starscream didn't transform, as Magnus didn't.

Optimus, as I said, was -built- to be that big by Alpha Trion, Trion also built Prime to be leader of the Autobots, thusly to also hold their symbol of leadership.

for Hot Rod, adding Prime to his name was a way to signify that he was the Chosen One and the next to lead since as you can look back and see all the leaders were Primes.

Ultra Magnus... well, in his own words... he's just a soldier.

Edit: actually... Rodimus Prime is an amped up Winnebago... a motorhome. yeah the Toy has a trailer but Rodimus himself actually doesn't. The Titanium Rodimus Prime gets it -truly- right

3. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Wasn't Rodimus the only one to release its power hence the change??

I suppose my related question is, Did all Transformers have cavities for the Matrix?

4. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    I've got the Matrix!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Rarh! I have the powah of ten gazillion Decepticons! Bask in the awesomeness that is Matrix-wielding Scourge! Rarh!!!"

5. FuryStrike

FuryStrike Autobot

good point SuperSquad7 I forgot about Scourge getting the matrix and mutating like that... but again, in the comic Screamer and Thunderwing didn't mutate/transform

so... I dunno, I guess its one of those things that was used for dramatic effect. Oh! important moment, better make him larger/change or "oh! he's evil, the matrix is good, he should mutate" but... magnus carries it with no change.

dramatic effect = incongruity in our continuity

hey, that rhymed :3 *is half asleep*

6. Superquad7

Superquad7 We're only human. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Who's SuperSquad7? :poke 

7. Backscatter

Backscatter Autobot Brainmaster TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Optimus Prime also released the power of the Matrix in TROOP. Anyway, not all TFs have "cavities". That's why Galvatron used his blaster. (He mistakenly thought the Matrix was a weapon.)

8. doomtron

doomtron seeker

News Credits:
    the matrix decided who got what including the owner. that marvel comic story was awsome thunderwing is still one of my faves. my theory on prime not shrinking is he had the matrix too long

9. ryan.j

ryan.j Well-Known Member

could be worse dude.

[​IMG]

10. perceptor_mc

perceptor_mc Well-Known Member

Hey dont diss the s club! remember there aint no party like an s club party!

Seriously though, surely they cant all have matrix compartments. Not even hotrod. If you remember, the matrix turned him into rodimus while he was holding it THEN he had a compartment for it. I doubt roddy could have whacked it in there before.

Even ultra magnus seemed to struggle getting it in and had to have two go's.

11. Optimus Sledge

Optimus Sledge Yar har fiddle di dee

Optimus Prime rocks without the Matrix. Rodney needed upgrades to be able to defeat Galvatron, so he got them.

12. Sledgehammer

Sledgehammer Digital art monkey

From this moment on, I shall refer to him as Rodney Prime. And Kup as Del-Boy. :p 

13. perceptor_mc

"Rodimus you plonker!":) 

14. Goatboy

Goatboy Well-Known Member

Nah Kup would be uncle Albert with all his "during the war" stories:D 

15. perceptor_mc

Hah! That's brilliant!

16. Batman

Batman The Dark Knight TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    To me it is nothing more than a continuity error or story telling (writing) error. At the end of the day, the writers were making a toy commercial for little kids and there were different writers working on different episodes.

My guess though is that Optimus Prime is such a rad mother fu#$er he filled that Matrix with awesome and by the time Rodimus got it, he used it to make himself awesome.

17. myhobby

myhobby ArigatouArigatouArigatou-

here's my thoughts on the matrix:

in the first place, rodimus was the "chosen one," the one destined to wield the matrix.
    optimus wasn't necessarily the chosen one, thus the matrix did,t have a physical effect on him.
    it did have a spiritual effect on him, without the matrix he didn't have the wisdom of the past primes.

when hot rod was introduced onto the scene, the matrix knew he was the chosen one, so it didn't need a carrier anymore, thus not effecting magnus.

galvatron was haunted because the matrix, being the essence of primus, is multiversal, and it knew what would happen if a decepticon were to posses it. it wanted to avoid another evil matrix fiasco. it seems that scourge was an exception.

thunderwing also had a connection with the matrix, something no other d-con had.

just my thoughts.

18. Sideways

Sideways Banned

Rodimus will nevar be kewl with this guy.
    No matter how many matrixes he can has.

19. Coeloptera

Coeloptera Big, bad beetle-bot

... the page you linked to? First, neat list. Second...WILDRIDER?!?!?

[​IMG]

Yeah, the thought of that doesn't fill me with terror or anything.

Oh, and Death's Head?
    [​IMG]
    I hope they washed it off after he had it, yes?

To be fair, Scourge is a creation of Unicron. I can't imagine that helped any. Heck, that might be why Galvatron couldn't use the thing when it actually would have been the Darkest Hour. I mean, he was standing on Unicron. That would have been an excellent time to fire up the old Primus-juice before the Chaos-Bringer got to Cybertron.

That or, you know, the handles. Everybody has issues with using the damn handles.

- Coeloptera

20. ChopperByrne

ChopperByrne Well-Known Member

The Matrix changed Starscream mentally instead of physically. It started making him good so he willingly gave it up.