The ones that got away...

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by catch22, Aug 10, 2007.

1. catch22

catch22 Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I'd like to hear your experiences about the toys/deals you passed/missed, only to regret it later due to the toy's price skyrocketed or simply become impossible to find.

My own:

- Getting MP Megs when he first came out. I even had the chance to pre-order him from BBTS for $109 and I kept putting it off till they were all sold out.

- Passing on the first release of MP Optimus at Walmart. When I first saw him in the store, my jaw dropped. TFs at that time were just a distant memory from when I was a little kid, and here in front of me was the hero of my childhood. Despite having been working full-time job, I just couldn't justify his price to myself. A friend that was with me even warned me, "you should just buy him now before you end having to get him on ebay..." I SHOULD HAVE FUCKING LISTEND AGHHH

- Alternators back when they were in store. Same reason as above, I wasn't back into TFs yet, though I did think they were pretty cool, I just didn't care to spend $20 on a toy. Also, I saw Alt Meister in a Walmart a few months back, and like an idiot I passed him up...if only I had been aware of the reprolabels for him!

- Not picking up extra Classics so I could make a custom Liokaiser based on the one a member on this board did (sorry, forget your name at the moment).

2. LoC Soundwave

LoC Soundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    There's only two things I regret right now.

Not getting into BW Neo earlier since they're getting pretty scarce right now.

Not taking the chance buying a Energon Scorponok for 50 sek! Bought a stupid bionicle instead >.<

3. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    But you made that up,By Buying Dark Scorponok.

Armada Predacon and Skywarp,I missed those 2 and insted bought Universe Blackarchinda.

4. SpeedBreaker

SpeedBreaker DESTRON NEW LEADER

Back during G1's time I was in a toystore with my dad. He offered to buy me Tracks, but since Tracks had not appeared in the cartoon at that point I turned him down. :p 

5. Easterling Capt

Easterling Capt I am Vern Schillinger

Ebay:
    as many ppl will post after me,

E-hobby anime Astrotrain..when he was like 60-70 now..300 ....

6. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    yup. proto astro. argh.

7. Megatronwp38

Megatronwp38 Nobody defeats the DEVASTATOR!

That anime astrotrain, I thought it would sit like all the other reissues did :( 

8. KA

KA Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    nnOOooOOooOOOO dont want to think abt proto astro make it stop

9. thoughtcrime

thoughtcrime Well-Known Member

I've gotten everything I wanted from BM, RiD, Energon, Cybertron and I completed Classics, so no problems there.

-Machine Wars Prime. Picked him up on a whim back in '97, when I got back into collecting. Decided since he didn't look enough like the Prime I know & love, I traded him off. Oh well.

-Cybertron Galvatron. I don't buy $40 figures because of space issues and I personally find a $40 price class absurd. I made an exception for the movie. But Cyb Galvs is a nicely colored figure I wouldn't mind owning. But I won't go out of my way to get him, esp. since he's since shot up in value.

-Anything G1 after 1986. TF:TM and its crappy figures helped drive me out of the franchise as a kid, in addition to simply naturally outgrowing it. But then I never returned to G1, and thus missed out on a lot of the cooler figures from '87 and later. But since there is no nostalgia there, I have no desire to add any to my collection now. Oh well.

10. rework

rework The Voice of Experience

Transcon II - 1997 or thereabouts.

At approx 11:00 on Saturday, I took a picture of the Japanese dealer's table. Pretty much front and center was a boxed Artfire toy. $100 price tag clearly visible on it. IIRC, the reason so many of us passed on it was that the box was a "little beat up".

A few years later, you couldn't touch one of those for under $500. Have no idea what they go for now, but I've pretty much moved that toy in the category of "toys I'll never own".

11. e3nine

e3nine I have a large MISB collection.

News Credits:
    MP series. My first MP was Megatron. I really wanted to do the MP-04, but couldn't justify the $160 price. Now it's through the roof.

Same goes with the Kiss Players stuff.

Oh BT ... absolutely regret not purchasing the die-cast Alternators. $50 a pop though ... that's what drove me away.

Hmm ... I really should have purchased that Galaxy Force TRU EX-02. I really like the Sonic Bomber + Convoy figure. Again, I couldn't justify $160 on 3 figures ... 2 of which I already had in a different color.

12. NotFastEnuff

NotFastEnuff I'm a smartass...

Ebay:
    Brave Max, nuff said. He was readily available for around $100 when I first got back into collecting. I'd never seen a Fort Max. Didn't know what it was. Now, I can't afford one. That, honestly, is the only one I can think of. Now, if you wanna talk cars....

13. Maz

Maz Square One TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Facebook:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Flickr:
    YouTube (Legacy):
    Tumblr:
    1) I missed out on the Hartmans' mailaway G1 Mirage at BotCon '06. I dawdled and when i came back it had gone. Never seen one before or since.

2) A Diaclone yellow Sideswipe for $250 baaaaack in the day. Ended up paying over twice that for the one I have now (and over 3 times for the one I use to own)

And for all of you feeling the Anime Astrotrain pain, I also missed out but then ended up paying what it goes for now. Honestly, just buy the damn thing, you won't be disappointed. Just have a look:
    http://www.tf-1.com/articles/reissue_frame.php?art=Animeastro

All the best
    Maz

14. LigerPrime

LigerPrime Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    1. CR Fire Convoy and Ultra Magnus giftset for $100. I didn't know the set had the sword...AARRGGHH!!!

2. Anime accurate Astrotrain...never expected it to sell out so fast...AAARRGGHH!!!

3. Vintage G1 Reflector...missed him at a good price on ebay...

I'll list more when I can remember them.

15. Nerdling

Nerdling Jiminy Jilikers!

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I passed up the Ultra Magnus/Skywarp 2 Pack when it was on clearance for $13.88. I've always been sort of regretful about it, but since they were repaints I'm never too upset. Every other TF I've seen that I've had a chance to get I bought.

I might have another regret story if I dont get encore prime or megs though.

16. gargunkle

gargunkle someone

I have a few of these.

I saw Battle Unicorn in a store... once. I wasn't into TF so much at the time (don't care for the BM show) so I passed. Regretted it for a long time until he first came available at BBTS, then recolored as Magna Stampede.

I saw Alt Swerve a few times. Don't really regret so much not picking him up, as I'd just sell him anyway, but still. Profit to be had.

LoC Soundwave: I have a MISB En Scorponok available if you're interested :) 

17. smkspy

smkspy Remember true fans

Not buying G1 on ebay back in 97/98 despite the fact I was buying Beast Wars. Oh to go back in time, and kick my Seventeen year old ass.

18. SPLIT LIP

SPLIT LIP Be strong enough to be gentle

News Credits:
    Instagram:
    Alt Camshaft.

He shelf-warmed my Zellers for nearly two months, I should've taken it as a sign.

Never went out to get him, just noticed he was gone one day.

19. iluvu_superion

iluvu_superion Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    You know, you can still buy MP1 prime at hasbrotoyshop.com for retail....no biggie

20. LoC Soundwave

LoC Soundwave Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Naw, it's okay :) 
    Just feels like a bummer that I missed out buying an ultra sized toy for 50 sek when they're usually like 499 sek.

But thanks for the offer :)