The one thing Scott McNeil will not sign...

Discussion in 'Movies and Television' started by SaberPrime, Jan 12, 2012.

1. SaberPrime

SaberPrime Well-Known Member

So because I'm subscribed to TJ Omega on YouTube I've heard Scott McNeil talk a lot about this thing he refuses to sign called a Death Note. I don't know why it's taken me this long to actually check out this series. Mostly I wanted to watch it because one of the other voice actors in the most recent videos TJ posted with Scott McNeil was talking about doing to English dub for both the anime and a live action version which I didn't even know existed but thought it was cool that they both have the same voice cast.

So that being said I finally decided to check out what this Death Note stuff was about. I'm only 10 episodes into the anime and I'm already hooked on this show. Have not gotten to the live action yet. I found out there are actually 3 live action films and I'm going to watch one after every 12 episodes of the series just because I can't wait any longer to see this with real people. Also because the voice actor was talking about how dubbing an animated character just looks better than dubbing a real person and was afraid the dub was going to turn out horrible but was very impressed when he saw the finished product so I really wanna see how good the live action compared to the cartoon.

Going to be kind of unbiased between the two because this is the first time I'm checking out either. It's not like the movie would really ruin everything I love about the cartoon when I've barely come to know it. Not much that could get ruined as long as there's still a kid with a note book killing people who deserve to die anyway. I'm still good with whatever changed information the movie could possibly throw at me. I'll check back here after I watch the first movie. Try to keep this spoiler free. Nothing after the first 12 episodes and the first movie for the time being.

2. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Although it became repetitive, I really liked the anime. Light becomes quite the bastard before all is said and done.

3. lildevilchick

lildevilchick what the doctor ordered

I really liked the manga/anime...until a certain something happened. I won't give it away as it is a massive spoiler. But it really made me not want to follow it anymore. I don't know when it falls in the anime since I stopped watching pretty early on...but yeah, really started disliking it all before the end.

4. Starfire22

Starfire22 Wall crawling menace!

News Credits:
    A lot of anime take notes (no pun intended) frome death note. For example, when lelouch loses his memory in code geass.

5. bumblebot98

bumblebot98 Banned

News Credits:
    I love Death Note, not something I would watch multiple times, but still a great series.

6. Tripredacus

Tripredacus K-Mart-ian Legend

News Credits:
    Is there a reason he won't sign them?

I know a similar story about how none of the Miller brother (Kelly, Kip, Kevin) will sign the Upper Deck card with the three of them on it. They say there is only one in existance that is signed by either of them (actually its signed by all of them) and it was given to their parents.

7. Sol Fury

Sol Fury The British Butcher Administrator News Staff

News Credits:
    Facebook:
    Instagram:
    I'm guessing it's a joke based on how in the show anyone who has their name written in one of the things will die soon after. Though it doesn't work in real life, why tempt fate? I believe a school in Malaysia actually banned them because kids were writing the names of teachers and bullies in the things.

8. guard convoy

guard convoy The Big Daddy

News Credits:
    I hate that series more than anything, ugh so annoying

9. Mumps

Mumps <b><font color=blue>I voted for Super_Megatron and

I remember one day, at an Anime con (of course..) my friend's CRAZY sister wrote a 5 page ESSAY on how I should die in her deathnote >.>

It was brutal. It involved sheep, thats all I can remember.

10. rattraprules98

rattraprules98 AKA Chr0nus

News Credits:
    [​IMG]
    Death Note is my favorite anime and god does this make me happy :lol 

11. SaberPrime

That's exactly the reason. I don't think Scott McNeil is actually in the show but he's worked with several voice actors who are and he knows what the story is about.

Anyway... going back to what I originally said. Seen the first 12 episodes of the series and the first movie. A lot of events happen the same way in both but a lot has changed too. Some of it I actually like more in the movie but one thing that really put me off in the movie is that Light killed his own girlfriend. In the series he never kills innocent people only criminals and the people who are trying to stop him. His girlfriend doesn't fit either.

Because of that one detail I think Light is portrayed better in the anime then in the movie. That being said I'm only on episode 12 of the anime so for all I know Light could take a dark turn later on the series. Again no spoilers please.

If I had that power I'd be doing the same thing as Light but I wouldn't of killed the FBI agents and Ray's fiance. In that respect he's already kind of taken a dark turn but killing 12 FBI agents he's never met before doesn't seem as bad as killing someone he's suppose to love. That does kinda make me think that Movie Light would be more willing to kill his dad than the Anime version. Anime Light I think would consider it but not actually be able to do it, and would only consider it if his dad was getting close to finding out that he is Kira.

I'm sure these opinions will have changed by the next time I make a post here, probably after the next 12 episodes and movie.

Oh and special effects. I was actually surprised to see a CGI Ryuk rather than a live actor in a bad costume as I'm use to seeing in anything out of Japan. I don't know why they still do that but yes even recent Power Rangers still use the same special effects they did back in the early 90's. They've worked in some CGI but the monsters and Megazords are still actors in costumes rather than going CGI. I think with the technology we have today it's no longer appropriate to stick an actor in a costume and call that a monster or a giant robot. Back when that was the only option or using any sort of animation looked like shit in a real world setting actors in costumes was fine but now days CGI can look realistic enough to actually work with live action and I think it should be used more. Especially in stuff out of Japan, it's like they're two decades behind everyone else. Does it take 20 years to dub something out of Japan and release it in the U.S. is that why the special effects seem like they're so far behind?

12. Autovolt 127

Autovolt 127 Get In The Titan, Prime!

News Credits:
    Maybe Scott just doesn't like Death Note.

Personally i watched a bit of it when it was playing on YTV years ago but i'm not much of a fan.

You'll probably hate Light more if your a TF Fan considering his voice actor is Kicker. Though Brad Swaile isn't a bad vocie actor or person but he's played obnoxious charecters.

13. SaberPrime

I thought he sounded familiar but I actually don't think Kicker was that obnoxious. He had some moments but given his ability to detect Energon he's one the most useful human characters in Transformers. Just about any other human from the Unicron Trilogy I do hate, especially the female characters. Mostly I hate the female characters because they act like mother figures to the males despite the fact they're suppose to be close to the same age. Lori could of acted like a big sister to Bud which would make sense but she acts more like Bud and Coby's mother which is just not right at all.

Miko is annoying for the exact opposite reason of the UT girls. It's pretty bad when a kid half your age is more mature than you are. Can someone just make a female human character in Transformers that actually acts her own age?

I think the only human female characters that aren't annoying are Carly in G1, Mikaela and Carly from the movies. At least as far as personality goes.

Typically though the ones I find the most annoying are pretty much any character who has no real use to the story other than to be the kid character the audience can relate to. As long as they can actually contribute something to the giant robot fight there's not much they can do to annoy me. There are some human villains from Animated who were far worse than Kicker. Like pretty much everyone except Meltdown and Rhodes. Headmaster had potential to be a good villain but his portrayal was way too video game need to be taken seriously as a villain. Really wish that Headmaster unit got some use from someone else. Oh I almost forgot Master Disaster, I liked him but he only got one episode. If he had the Headmaster unit that would make for a great episode.

14. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Not really a Death Note fan. I don't hate the show, so much as the disturbing fan base that believe Light isn't a villain. I won't spoil, but for this reason, I found the ending pretty amusing.

15. Paxtin

Paxtin Why am I here?

Assuming you are talking about what I think you are, that's about where I stopped watching it as well. Only for different reasons.
    To me that was a nice cap on the whole story. As far as I care, that was the shows ending for me. I didn't need to see anymore.

I get why a lot of people hate the series. It is an easy appeal to the annoyingly angsty emo crowd. But as a psychological thriller, the show offers up a pretty engaging premise when you give it a chance.

16. SaberPrime

You're kinda hinting at the fact that Light might not be as heroic as he originally seemed to be which the series and movie thus far are hinting at that as well but I'm not sure if they're going to go that far.

That being said I worked Sweeney Todd. If you don't know that story the title is actually an alias. Benjamin Barker is the main character who was put in prison for 15 years for a crime he didn't commit. The judge who sentenced him also rapped his wife and adopted his daughter. For these reasons when Benjamin escaped prison he came up with a revenge plan. No one recognized him because he had been in prison for so long and he used the name Sweeney Todd as his new alias. He planned to kill the judge and everyone else involved who knew about the rape and false charge. As a barber he would use a straight edge razor to slit his victims throats and their bodies would be dumped into an oven and baked into pies. While at the beginning it seems his intentions are good he does practice on people who didn't really deserve to die before actually getting his revenge. The only people he didn't kill were people with families or anyone who might come looking for them. As long as they were alone they were killed and he did it all under the guise of a friendly barber having a nice chat. There were no real heroes in the play as everyone, no matter how good their intentions were, ended up a criminal and/or dead in the end.

Despite everything I just said Sweeney Todd is still amazingly written as a dark comedy/musical. The thing is about a story like this is that it's not meant to be black and white, good and evil. That's the part that makes it more interesting, that makes it stand out from other stories. Maybe Light isn't the good guy in all this but does that mean L is the good guy? It was set in the beginning that they both think they're heroes but they're both using rather shady methods of being heroic so they could actually both be villains. Weather Kira is a hero or a villain is debated about in the story itself and that's what the show wants the fans to debate as well.

I can't really see L as a hero because why would anyone want to save the lives of criminals. I'm starting not to see Light as a hero either sense he's killed innocent people just to hide his identity. If it were me I'd kill criminals too but if someone was investigating me I'd be looking for other alternatives to stopping them without killing them. I also wouldn't kill everyone with a heart attack, I'd kill them in a method specific to their crime. Of course if it wasn't physically possible for them to die as specified they'd die by heart attack anyway.

Anyway I'm continuing to watch because the more I start to dislike Light the more interesting the story is. As a Transformers fan I kinda have to root for the Autobots to win all the time because they're the good guys. You kinda feel a little bit guilty about wanting the Decepticons to win even when it's just to make a more interesting story. With the Kira and L situation it doesn't really matter what side you want to root for neither side is truly good or evil. It's just about who is the lesser of two evils in your own mind. As much as I don't agree with everything Light has done he's still the lesser of two evils to me at least where the Anime is concerned. As far as the movie goes, I'm leaning more towards L's side.

17. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I love Death Note as a series but it really is a one-time watch unfortunately. Once you know how the cat and mouse game plays out, it really loses a lot of suspense and intrigue. I say the same about the Phoenix Wright games, nice detective stories, but once you know how the mystery is solved the thrill's gone.

As for Scott, I don't blame him, I'd be creeped out signing my name in one of those things, too.

18. SaberPrime

First time you've replied to one of my posts on here though we've talked a few times on YouTube. (I'm Rial Vestro on YouTube) I totally agree with everything you just said there. In this particular case that's actually why it's a good thing that the live action films don't follow the plot of the series. It'd be really boring to watch the movies if I already seen it all in the series. That being said I don't think either one is really better than the other right now.

Anyway the real reason I came to post in here right now before seeing that TJOmega had actually posted in here is that I just finished episode 24 and am starting to watch the 2nd movie. I thought that both had the same voice cast but Rem is obviously a different voice actor and the one in the movie doesn't even fit the character. Rem looks very female and her voice actor in the cartoon fits that appearance. Looks the same in the movie but there's a man's voice coming out of her mouth. What the hell? I'm only 3:27 into the movie and I'm already a little put off just by the voice cast. I guess I'll finish watching this and see if the story is any good.

19. Gryph

Gryph Action Master

News Credits:
    Eh? Light is never portrayed as ever being a good guy.

20. SaberPrime

He only ever killed criminals who had escaped their punishment by the law. Crime rates were dropping because of him. How is that not a good guy? The only thing that actually made him a villain was when he started killing innocent people like that FBI agent. Until then he was good.

Anyway I just finished the second movie. Unlike the first movie it wasn't very interesting. It was too fast paced and too much like the series so it was all very predictable where as the first movie was able to take elements of the series and keep the pacing down to still keep you guessing. And of course my earlier statement about Rem sounding different. As I watched more of the movie though I'm not sure if it's actually a different voice actor or if they just used a filter over the voice. I think I heard hints of the original voice in parts but it sounded like there was a filter over it adding a deeper echo effect to it which makes her sound like a man or at best a woman who has been smoking for 40 years. Anyway, there's a 3rd movie which I believe from the ending will be focusing more on Misa Misa and L is suppose to have died but he burned the death note so I'm guessing even though his name was in it he couldn't have been killed by it if it was burned before he wrote that he was going to die. This is just my speculation from some limited information given in the ending and looking at the title of the 3rd movie.

Of course in the series Light and Rem are still alive and Light isn't even close to being caught yet. The ending of the movie was the only real surprise to me given this fact. Everything leading up to it I knew already. I'll probably have finished watching this series by Monday. So far I'll say that the series is still just as good to me after 24 episodes as it was after 12. Only the movies are starting to loose my interest. With something like this the fast pacing is a bad thing because it needs time to build suspense. The series is really good at the suspense factor and even the first movie was good with this. The second movie is trying to show too much in too little time which ruins the suspense of it all. This is also kinda ironic because the 2nd movie is more accurate to the anime than the first one but actually turned out worse. Mostly because like TJ said it's not worth watching a second time when you already know how the cat and mouse game plays out. If it wasn't for the more intricate plot details normally I'd commend the second movie and bash the first one for how accurate or inaccurate they were to the source material.

The second movie did change some things from the source material like Misa Misa announcing the first time that she wasn't the real Kira and the gender and occupation of the person Rem gave her Death Note to but these were trial things that didn't change anything about how the plot played out. The first movie actually changed plot points so they wouldn't be immediately solved by anyone who had already seen the series. That trivial stuff is actually what annoys me most about straying from the source material not the plot change. The plot change is just a good way to keep the story interesting when retelling it.