The one, frustrating thing that kept this movie from being great to me.

Discussion in 'Transformers Movie Discussion' started by Meteora, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Meteora

Meteora New Member

I saw DOTM in IMAX 3D last night, and sadly, I'm not sure what to think of it. First off, the action was great - as expected, and the 3D was pretty cool too. The plot was pretty interesting and clever as well.

Now, the problem I had with the movie was the fact that at almost every emotional point in it, it cut abruptly to another scene, ruining the moment. Even worse, sometimes it cut to a comedic scene, completely ruining the emotional moment for the scene before it. This frustrates me because the emotional scenes had potential to be, well, emotional, had Bay not rushed through them. Had there actually been more focus on the several nearly-touching scenes in the movie, I think I'd have liked it a lot better.

Overall, it was definitely much better than the second, but it ruined its potential to be better than the first because of rushing through the moments that made you care for the characters.

Does anyone else feel this way?

2. Mister Gone

Mister Gone Macro-Con

News Credits:
    Welcome to the boards :D 

Well it is Michael Bay. I've noticed that he has a lot of trouble with two things; Maintaining a feeling and placing pauses. He likes to keep things movie as quickly and frantically as possible. While this may be good in a total action scene, it kind of screws up the other scenes.

3. XGL Walker

XGL Walker Well-Known Member

Pretty much every character,except for a few Transformers, is comic relief.

4. Meteora

Meteora New Member

Thanks for the welcome.

And yeah, when the movie cut so abruptly at its various emotional moments, I kept telling myself "Whelp, there's Michael Bay for you!".

5. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I think the only occasion where that happened was with Ironhide's death, he died and two quarters of seconds later Sam was talking to his parents about his girlfriend.

But:
    - On WheeljaQ's death everything was perfect, even because later they threated to kill BB.
    - Autobots leaving Earth was well-done as well, no "post comedic scene".
    - Sentinel's betrayal was well-pulled.
    - Optimus' final words as well.

6. Rikerwota

Rikerwota Well-Known Member

I noticed this more in RotF, particularly where Sam was trying to say goodbye to Bumblebee and it kept cutting to Mikaela stripping : /

7. Meteora

Meteora New Member

Yeah, WheeljaQ's (nice one. :thumbs2: ) death was handled perfectly, and Sentinel's betrayal (though the fact that Ironhide wasn't even so much as mentioned from then on irked me) and the final scene were both executed (no pun intended) pretty well.

And the more I think about it, the more I realize that the scene with the Autobots leaving Earth was handled well, because when I first saw it, I felt that it was rushed for a reason I can't quite remember. Maybe it was because of a scene that it cut to right afterward. I dunno.

I guess I feel that the movie moved too quickly at some points.

8. Bountyan

Bountyan Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Yeah...that seems to happen often in Michael Bay movies. Completely serious scene just cuts to a weird or funny scene. E.G. Men going on the moon for the first time and discovering aliens cutting to Carly's ass. Or aliens invading the planet in ROTF cutting to Sam's mom making a joke about Soundwave having a perverted breathing sound.

9. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

Thank you.
    About Ironhide, I think Optimus mentioned without mentioning his name [his body language after Sentinel wrecked a havoc, his "WHY SENTINEL, WHYYY?", his "I told you who to trust, I was wrong." and e.t.c].

I don't rememebr any "funny scene" coming after The Autobot's leaving.
    They were leaving, the Xantium got blown up, Sam watches in sadness at the distance, his freaky watch goes away, Simmons comments how all hope is lost or something like that, and if I recall well, we cut to Sentinel talking with Megatron [and subsequently, the invasion of Chicago], I don't remember any "funny scene" between those.

I think that happened more at the beginning.

10. Red Dog

Red Dog Well-Known Member

This.

11. OrionsBelt

OrionsBelt Well-Known Member

The biggest complaints to this movie is having Ironhide slaughtered, then it goes to the flaky parents. I still think what should have happened to keep this really dark, is Bumblebee takes Sam to get his parents out of dodge, he see's them in that big RV, and as he runs to them, Starscream sweeps in and BBBOOOOOOMMMMBBBBB, bombs the hell out of it. There would be an awesome defense fight fight going on between Bumblebee and Starscream, and then it could cut to Optimus catching up and fighting off Starscream.

I also can't believe when Lennox meets up with Epps in Florida, they didn't exchange words about Ironhide. It could have made for an even more poignant moment in the film.

12. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    Strangest complaint ever.

13. Silk Spectre

Silk Spectre The Evil Queen

The parent scene directly after Ironhide's death was so WTF...... A perfect example of some of the worst editing in the film.

14. SoundWave88

SoundWave88 Neo-Con

At 2 and a half hours, it did feel a bit rushed and trimmed for time. Some scenes seem too long or extended, such as the beginning and the Apollo space mission, (which is then spliced in later; this seems a bit redundant). Others are too short, such as any scene involving anyone other than OP and BB, or the episodes comic relief bots.

And the problem with every movie is the same, the silly comedic scenes, mostly involving humans, are way too long and go nowhere, and rarely move the plot forward...did Bay watch too many of the Japanese tv series?? The comedy feels forced to me.

This one could probably use an extended version, but they all could for that matter. Anyways, I did think it was the best of the 3.

15. RzaSharp

RzaSharp Well-Known Member

Welcome to the boards!!! Yes I feel this way as do many others. After three movies like this, i am beginning to think that something is mentally wrong with Bay and he views these movies as if the fans don't get it. Thick.

To me, this quote speaks volumes;

"Michael is the kind of guy who will laugh at a joke, then ask you why its funny."-Shia Labeouf

16. Cheebs

Cheebs Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    YouTube:
    There is something wrong with Bay in the same way there is something wrong with a machine that absolutely will not stop printing stacks of $100 bills.

17. RzaSharp

RzaSharp Well-Known Member

Speak of the devil, Is that you again Mikey B ?:bay 

18. SkyfiRe71

SkyfiRe71 Precursor

Honestly, I think it felt much more slowed when I did not watch in IMAX 3D. The REALD3D felt so much less straining, and idk, I guess so did the whole movie experience. Hyper-realistic feel too

19. Starscreamownz

Starscreamownz Air Commander

News Credits:
    That scene was actually serious. And I liked the tone. because its true. If your girlfriend/wife is angry you'll have stone cold misery for the rest of your life. Keep her happy lol

Not to mention the motivating words his parents gave him to chase carly.

20. Grand Sword

Grand Sword Well-Known Member

Bay's editing of scenes as OP stated are really annoying and not just the emotional parts.

He doesn't seem to put the important part of the scene on screen...

When Optimus shoots the controlling pillar down it is shown from far away and then the dome of the bulding it is kept in falls down from a what looks like a shot from a helicopter as Sentinel yells out disapprovingly...

Things of importance just don't seem to happen in view.