The Omega Supreme Throwdown (or how I learned to get a 2-foot tall TF without my wife killing me)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ByLaw77, Aug 24, 2018.

1. OriginalFire

OriginalFire Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    The overall consensus is this is the best followed by Fan Toys and then DX9 which had a lot of QC issues

2. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    DX9 seems to have been a bit of a shitstorm from a QC perspective? Lot's of people reporting breaking joints, and a rash of figures actually arrived soaking wet and covered in mould... which is just weird and kind of worrying to me. My fear would be if you buy a DX9 you won't know if it's a good one that will be fine or if you'll crack it open to find it's been damp and mouldy, sitting on a shelf in a warehouse for 6 months and all the screws and pins are starting to rust out?

FansToys is really nice, it looks the bomb but legs are a trifle loose from some reports. Also it's the most expensive by a long shot.

I ended up with WeiJiang after first wanting FT, then preferring DX9. The Weijiang is actually a very impressive figure. He looks the part, is solid and super well-made and to me at least, looks just as much of an MP figure as the other two. He's far more MP looking than Combiner Wars stuff, which was my fear. If you can order from TaoBao you can save a heap and mine actually ended up costing less than a lot of the official standard MP's cost.

I really dig it and think it actually looks pretty good with TW Constructor, as both have a fair bit more panel work and lining and greebly bits than the recent MP's. They are both kind of that "G1 with added details" look.

I may end up swapping out my Devy for FansToys when it eventually launches, at which point I may upgrade my Omega as well. But for now, WJ is a bargain.

Also, if you need to (and depending how observant the wife is), order whichever one you want, then show her the listing for WieJiangs on TaoBao and tell her that's the one you bought!
    For US$100 even the crankiest wife has to admit it's a deal!!
    upload_2018-8-26_11-52-29.png

upload_2018-8-26_11-56-22.png

• Like Like x 2
  3. ByLaw77

ByLaw77 Well-Known Member

Dammit man, that’s GENIUS!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Starganderfish

Starganderfish Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    LOL. If anyone asks, my entire MP collection are "cheap chinese knock offs".

• Like Like x 2
  5. phoenixliger

phoenixliger Ogre

damn that makes me want to take a chance on Taobao. I might have a decent christmas this year

6. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I don't think that's the overall consensus at all. This thread alone has more people suggesting DX9 than FT and WJ combined.

There was definitely a leak at the factory, and a wet batch definitely went out. It seems like it was one of the first to get out, and a lot of people who bought from Chinese sellers started posting a litany of problems. Then things went quiet for awhile. NA retailers didn't get their copies for something like two months after the initial release, and there were rumors that the bad QC from the first batch was the reason. Once the NA retailers started to get them in stock and out to customers a lot more people were saying they either had no issues or minor issues. Now, I don't mean to make light of the bad QC on the initial batch, but to simply say that DX9 was a QC shitstorm is an oversimplifcation that doesn't really tell the whole story.

Rather than write off DX9 as a QC disaster waiting to happen I'd suggest buying him from a trusted retailer who will either replace the figure if you get a bad one, or even go one further and order from @ToyDojo and request that they open and inspect it before shipping it.

• Like Like x 7
  7. Tontus314

Tontus314 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Same here, only I pretty much really mean it. :) 

• Like Like x 1
  8. xueyue2

xueyue2 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wish there is a dislike button for this post. Where did u get this "The overall consensus"?

For me, Omega choices
    DX9 and FT == MP style
    WJ == CHUG style

DX9 > WJ > FT

• Like Like x 5
  9. Bezuul

Bezuul Well-Known Member

Did you just say I like the TF Bay movies because I can’t pull deep cuts from a very old film? I went through my film-nerd phase in my early 20’s... time has passed and life kicked me in the head a few times. I wish I could blame this shit on Michael Bay but I think it has more to do with being a social worker.

10. LBock

LBock TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Most of the QC issues with DX9 Gabriel were in earlier Asian releases and DX9 issued replacement parts. I don't think most of the US copies had widespread issues. I've been really happy with mine and had no issues.

I think all of the versions are really good and it really comes down to your personal preference. DX9 is pretty toon accurate, Fans Toys is a little more stylized, and Wei Jang is a lot more stylized. I personally went with DX9 because it was a little cheaper than Fans Toys and I liked the look better than Wei Jang. Good luck with your decision.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

No. I was just making a joke and creatively playing with movie quotes. I didn’t mean to single you out.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  12. ByLaw77

ByLaw77 Well-Known Member

Sounds to me that the consensus is:

DX9 is most toon accurate, has had some q.c. issues, but owners are happy.

WJ is more stylized, more playable and cool gimmicks, has a wonky head, but owners are happy.

FT is a distant 3rd and not worth the coin.

• Like Like x 2
  13. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Now I've not handled DX9 but I'm more than happy with FT's Omega. Again, I'm a more 'display' than 'play' collector and so my preference for FT are all aesthetic. He just LOOKS bloody awesome and imho has a better head sculpt and proportions. I can safely say that I was incredibly happy with him so the 'not worth the coin' comment is just plain wrong.

Don't get me wrong, DX9 looks great and if I'd gotten him first I'd have probably been just as content.

Back to how these guys look - I reckon DX9 looks more animation accurate and so perhaps fits in with the newer MPs better - but FT have continued to follow the Hasui-era MP look imho where the cartoon is just ONE influence with the toy also being an influence and with a desire to make the mould appear slightly more heroic than derpy.

However - I can't deny that DX-9's doesn't ace the waist area which is FT's obvious week spot. In an ideal world you're have DX9 from the waist down and FT from the waist up.

So yeah, some FT love from me.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 9
  14. Friendross

I don’t believe the silent majority has raised its voice in this thread

5AFAECF0-A3BC-4A2B-BC14-C6B10BAEE1C7.jpeg

• Like Like x 7
  15. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    I wouldn't say distant. Truthfully, they're all quite good, and even though some people have sold their FT for a DX9 lots of people are happy with their FT. This is really a case where you can't go wrong no matter which one you get (why can't Cliffjumper get this kind of love?).

Also, while I'd personally go with WJ over FT, I think an actual consensus would probably have DX9 > FT > WJ. Again, not that WJ is bad or anything, but a majoriy of collectors here prize cartoon accuracy and WJ is simply the least cartoon accurate in both modes.

When are FT fans ever silent?

• Like Like x 3
  16. Bugste81

Bugste81 Ste

Ordered Fanstoys Omega last weekend. Got the 20% off deal so came to £234 total. The fact that I spent ages see-sawing between DX9 and Fanstoys says a lot about the quality of both figures. My collection is also more the Hasui-era MP look. Fingers crossed it get delivered safely. The fun will really begin when my wife sees it plus trying to stop the kids sitting on it.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Cracka J

Cracka J TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Have DX9. So of course I will be biased here.

Think DX9 is the best representation, sturdiest build and most enjoyable transform.

Weijiang looks like it has the most playability with the added features and motorized tank in alt mode. It doesnt look like Omega to me though and that was a huge detractor in the purchase decision.

FT looks cool but that thing is a wobble monster in bot mode and has an awful transformation. Most expensive of the bunch too.

Everything came up DX9 for me so I bought that. Glad I ended up with a good copy of him since some of the launch units had quite a few defects.

• Like Like x 1
  18. stevej

stevej Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    That's one hell of a good price. Enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  19. MnemonicSyntax

MnemonicSyntax Ron Swanson

News Credits:
    Now you don't get any likes.

Seriously though, the Bay bashing is beyond old by now.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Friendross

Yes. But more to the point it fit the jokes. But that’s fine, I don’t hold it against you for denying me dopamine soaked likes.

General Jack D. Ripper: G1 animation style is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous gen x plot we have ever had to face.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018