The Omega Supreme Throwdown (or how I learned to get a 2-foot tall TF without my wife killing me)

Discussion in 'Transformers 3rd Party Discussion' started by ByLaw77, Aug 24, 2018.

1. ByLaw77

ByLaw77 Well-Known Member

So I'm getting tempted - very, very tempted - to take the plunge on an MP (not) Omega. I had the original as a kid. It wasn't very playable because it was so big, but it sticks in my mind as one of the defining Xmas gifts of my childhood. And since this hobby is all about reliving that childhood...there you go.

It looks like there are 3 options: Fans Toys, DX9, and WeiJiang. I've got some FT and WJ products already, all of which are top notch; I've never had a DX9 anything, so I can't judge. I've seen BensKOllectibles review of the WJ version, where he compares the three (and surprisingly to me, seems to like the FT version the least). I cannot find any other in-depth comparisons.

So I'm here in the deepest 3P knowledge base on the internet, asking for experiences and reviews from you all - what's the scoop? Is one clearly superior? Pros, cons? I'm leaning a particular way, but don't want to take the plunge (and risk my own personal safety when my wife sees the size of the thing in our den for the first time) without getting some input. TIA on all thoughts shared.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Friendross

Friendross Well-Known Member

I’m to distracted by your marvelous thread title to read your post. I want to play also

“Simplified cartoon accuracy is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous hasbro plot we have ever had to face.”

———-
    Adm. Randolph: Try one of these 3p figures Ambassador. They're pretty good.

Ambassador de Sadesky: Thank you, no. I do not support the work of counterfit stooges.

Adm. Randolph: Oh, only hasbro counterfit stooges, huh?

————

General Jack D. Ripper: Mandrake, do you realize that in addition to hollowing out figures limbs, why, there are studies underway to hollow out figures body, heads, hands, feet, hands,... weapons. Weapons, Mandrake, children's toy robots weapons.

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: [very nervous] Lord, Jack.

General Jack D. Ripper: You know when hollowing our figures first began?

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: I... no, no. I don't, Jack.

General Jack D. Ripper: Nineteen hundred and ninety six. 1996, Mandrake. How does that coincide with your plastic cost conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A substance was taken out of our figures without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Hasbro designer works.

Continue?

• Like Like x 7
  3. Dangard Ace

Dangard Ace Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    WJ if you want something with lights and sounds and motorized tank. Also comes with a doc bot.

Between DX9 and FT I cancelled a FT TG preorder and went DX9. I think it looks more G1. Transformation is easy and fun. Some that bought FT TG who also bought Dx9 sold off TG after comparing both in hand. Take from that what you will.

• Like Like x 7
  4. DrCalligari

DrCalligari Well-Known Member

I have the blue Guardian colored Fans Toys TG and the DX9 Gabriel. The both have their benefits.

Bobby Skullface compares the two molds in his Gabriel review:

• Like Like x 3
  5. Tontus314

Tontus314 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Wei Jiang all the way. It's the only where you can sing "The tank on the track goes round and round, round and round, round and round" and actually mean it.

• Like Like x 10
  6. TFXProtector

TFXProtector Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Wei Jiang. It's packed with features, a smooth transformation, and it's the most affordable with shipping included. It's heavy, too. 9 pounds.

• Like Like x 10
  7. Friendross

General Jack D. Ripper: Were you ever a prisoner of only buying official?

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Well... yes I was, matter of fact, Jack. I was.

General Jack D. Ripper: Did they torture you?

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Uh, yes they did. I was tortured by the Horrible repaints and sudden switch in the Mp line. Jack, if you must know; not a pretty story.

General Jack D. Ripper: Well, what happened?

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Oh, well, I don't know, Jack, difficult to think of under these conditions; but, well... what happened was they got me on the old Rangoon-Ichinawa railway. I was buying garbage over priced beast wars figures for no reason

General Jack D. Ripper: No, I mean when they tortured you. Did you keep buying them?

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Ah, oh, no... well, I don't think they wanted me to buy them really. I don't think they wanted my money at all really. It was just their way of having a bit of fun, the swines. Strange thing is they make such bloody good 6 inch figures.

———

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: sir, sir! I must know what you think has been going on here!

Colonel "Bat" Guano: You wanna know what I think?

Group Capt. Lionel Mandrake: Yes!

Colonel "Bat" Guano: I think you're some kind of deviated beast wars fan. I think Dalinajj found out about your preversion, and that you were organizing some kind of mutiny of preverts beast wars fan. Now MOVE!

/———

Major T. J. "King" Kong: Keep ordering figures boys! I'm gonna get them detolfs built if it harelips ever'body on Bear Creek!

———-

General "Buck" Turgidson: [Gesturing to the fanstoys release schedule Big Board] When takara see that on their radar, they are going to go absolutely ***APE***.

———
    Miss Scott: It's 3 o'clock in the morning!

General "Buck" Turgidson: Weh-heh-heh-ll, the Tfw2005 3p forum never sleeps.

Miss Scott: Buck, honey, I'm not sleepy either...

General "Buck" Turgidson: I know how it is, baby. Tell you what you do: you just start your countdown, and old Bucky'll be back here before you can say "Blast off!"

———

Major T. J. "King" Kong: Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones. You sure Mp beast megaton cost $340?

————-

President Merkin Muffley: And why haven't you emailed Tfsource countermanding the pre order?

General "Buck" Turgidson: Well, I'm afraid we're unable to communicate with tfsource.

President Merkin Muffley: Why?

General "Buck" Turgidson: As you may recall, sir, one of the provisions tfsource preorder policy provides that once the pre order is received, the normal email That comes into tfsource are switched into a special coded device which I believe is designated as CRM-114. Now, in order to prevent the customer from issuing fake or confusing orders, CRM-114 is designed not to receive at all - unless the message is preceded by the correct three-letter recall code group prefix.

President Merkin Muffley: Then do you mean to tell me, General Turgidson, that you will be unable to cancel a preorder?

General "Buck" Turgidson: That's about the size of it. However, we are plowing through every possible three-letter combination of the code. But since there are 17,000 permutations... it's going to take us about two-and-a-half days to transmit them all.

President Merkin Muffley: How soon did you say our order will be shipping to retailers?

General "Buck" Turgidson: About 18 minutes from now, sir.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  8. ByLaw77

You, sir, are a genius.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Friendross

If I don’t get more likes out of these, in a thread so interestingly titled. You all have shit taste in movies

• Like Like x 2
  10. GeneralLeeSpkng

GeneralLeeSpkng Purveyor of Futility

News Credits:
    I have no idea what the fuck is going on in here.

• Like Like x 27
  11. Tontus314

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Same here, but I'm guessing it's because I have shit taste in movies.

• Like Like x 24
  12. Friendross

General Jack D. Ripper: Your Bayverse fan has no regard for quality story telling, not even continuity. And for this reason, men, I want to impress upon you the need for extreme watchfulness. The enemy may come individually, or he may come in strength. He may even come in the uniform of our own troops. But however he comes, we must stop him. We must not allow him to gain entrance to this fandom. Now, I'm going to give you THREE SIMPLE rules: First, trust NO one, whatever his uniform or rank, unless he is known to you personally; Second, anyone or anything that approaches within 200 yards of the perimeter is to be FIRED UPON; Third, if in doubt, shoot first then ask questions afterward. I would sooner accept a few casualties through accidents rather losing the entire fanbase and its integrity through carelessness. Any variation of these rules must come from me personally. Any variation on these rules must come from me personally. Now, men, in conclusion, I would like to say that, in the two years it has been my privilege to be your commanding officer, I have always expected the best from you, and you have never given me anything less than that. Today, the nation is counting on us. We're not going to let them down. Good luck to you all.

———

General "Buck" Turgidson: Hmm... Strangelove? What kind of a brand is that? That ain't no Kfc name is it, Stainesey?

Mr. Staines: He changed it when he spilt away from Keith. Used to be Merkwürdigliebe.

[the German word for "Strangelove"]

General "Buck" Turgidson: Well, a Kfc figure by any other name, uh Stainesey?

———

[after learning of the New prime mold]

President Merkin Muffley: But this is absolute madness, Ambassador! Why should you *build* such a thing?

Ambassador de Sadesky: There were those of us who fought against it, but in the end we could not keep up with the expense involved in the interesting detail race, the die cast race, and the toy aesthetic race. At the same time our people grumbled for more cell shading and less detai. Our new prime mold scheme cost us just a small fraction of what we had been spending on licensing in a single year. The deciding factor was when we learned that 3p companies where working along similar lines, and we were afraid of a Prime gap.

President Merkin Muffley: This is preposterous. I've never approved of anything like that.

Ambassador de Sadesky: Our source was tfw forums

• Like Like x 5
  13. ByLaw77

References to Dr. Strangelove - which was subtitled "or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb".

• Like Like x 5
  14. Bezuul

Bezuul Well-Known Member

Oh boy... if it’s not about women stealing our fluids then it’s too deep of a pull for me.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Friendross

I’m sorry. I just got home from playing really well in the first hockey game of the year

The answer to the original post is watch for a sale. Get it around a birthday or Christmas

I love my TG, I’m Gabe curios. That wei Jeng thing is interesting but not the look I wanted

16. Friendross

That's the way your hard-core Bayverse fan works. I first became aware of it, Mandrake, during the physical act of watching all the bay movies after the first...Yes, a profound sense of fatigue, a feeling of emptiness followed. Luckily I-I was able to interpret these feelings correctly. Loss of essence. I can assure you it has not recurred, Mandrake. Bayverse fans, er, they sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid Bayverse fans, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Thundercracker Blue

Thundercracker Blue Well-Known Member

FB2BB087-FD19-4006-821B-26AD7600C631.gif
    We'll meet again
    Don't know where
    Don't know when
    But I know we'll meet again some sunny day...

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tontus314

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    That dude was pretty cool in Infinity Wars. I loved how he kept teleporting Spidey around during the Thanos fight but I don't remember anything about bombs.

• Like Like x 18
  19. mikeszekely

mikeszekely Well-Known Member

Ebay:
    DX9 seems to have the most cartoon-accurate robot mode, 2nd-most accurate base mode, in the middle price-wise, and has a fairly enjoyable transformation. QC was a problem, one at least one batch, but for what it's worth my copy was fine. It's my personal first choice.

FT has the 2nd most accurate robote, and the most accurate base mode. It's the most expensive of the three. Transformation is a chore. No major QC issues that I'm aware of, but he seems to have some minor stability issues. Personally my third choice.

Weijiang is the least accurate in both modes, but it's the cheapest and has the most accessories. Transformation is fairly simple, but also a bit more uncoventional. It's the only version with a motorized tank. No major QC issues that I'm aware of. My personal second choice.

Despite being able to order them as a personal 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choice, I think this is one of the more subjective decisions where there isn't a clear winner (vs, say, Predaking, where 9/10 people are going to tell you to go with MMC). They all have some pros and cons, and in some alternate reality where only one of them existed I think most collectors would buy whichever one it was and be content. If there's one you were already leaning toward, I'd probably suggest buying that one (from a reputable retailer who will get your sorted if there is an issue).

• Like Like x 5
  20. foobot333

foobot333 Well-Known Member

Personally enjoyed the TFW2005 Gabriel forums and how helpful, creative and intelligent many enthusiasts were. Spent a good time there before timing it right with my bday, right after I had fixed up some nagging problems with the house... and all my awesome wife commented on when she saw it was how Gabriel was her "favorite" in my collection bc it looks great and plays like a real toy. 20180618_150141.jpg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6