The Official TFW2005 Games of the Year

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by McBradders, Dec 24, 2009.

1. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

No polls. No cumulative lists. Just copy and paste the following in to your post and have at it.

Don't forget to check out this thread: http://www.tfw2005.com/boards/video...games-goddamn-decade-thread-read-op-read.html

So with that done... here we go!

Best Retail Game of the Year:

Best Downloadable Game of the Year (DSiware, Wiiware, PSN, XBLA, PC):

Best Handheld Game of the Year:

Best game of the year that shouldn't be a game of the year:

Lists are fine, expansive posts are always better. Feel free to list top 3's to 5's. Enjoy!

2. McBradders

Best Retail Game of the Year: Street Fighter IV

The game clock says over 200 hours. Nothing else has come close to occupying that much of my time this year other than work.

Honourable mentions: Resident Evil 5, Uncharted 2

Best Downloadable Game of the Year (DSiware, Wiiware, PSN, XBLA, PC): Shadow Complex

Really surprising and engrossing. Great stuff.

Honourable Mentions: Rez HD (?), Battlefield 1943, Marvel vs Capcom 2

Best Handheld Game of the Year: Rockband: Unplugged

Eh, didn't buy anything else. Handhelds = meh.

Best game of the year that shouldn't be a game of the year: Resident Evil 5. sogood.gif

3. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Best Retail Game of the Year: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Best Downloadable Game of the Year: Shadow Complex

Best Handheld Game of the Year: Scribblenauts

Best Game that shouldn't be Game of the Year: X-Men Origins: Wolverine

Oh yeah, I bolded the games and not the categories. I'm so original.

4. Blackout32

Blackout32 Subdivisions

Best Retail Game of the Year: Uncharted 2 Among theives and Batman Arkham

Best Downloadable Game of the Year (DSiware, Wiiware, PSN, XBLA, PC):Contra reboot

Best Handheld Game of the Year: Ratchet and Clank Size matters IMHO even though it didn't come out this yr

Best game of the year that shouldn't be a game of the year:COD MW

ADD-ON BY ME
    Best replay value game:GTA 4,Uncharted 2 online

Best Graphics all aroung game: Batman Arkham and Uncharted 2

5. samtheman

samtheman Well-Known Member

Well I haven't played all the games this year that I would like but I'm just going to go on what I've played so far.

Best Retail Game of the Year: Right now I haven't played Assassins Creed 2 yet or Dragon Age: Origins so I'm just going to have to go with Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Runners Up: NSMBW and Street Fighter 4

Best Downloadable Game of the Year (DSiware, Wiiware, PSN, XBLA, PC): I don't really download games. And before anyone questions me the few that I have downloaded were played at my friends house when I downloaded my gamertag overthere.

Best Handheld Game of the Year: That would probably have to be GTA: China Town Wars for the DS. Seriously they captured a GTA game in a DS cart. That alone should earn it the top spot.

Best game of the year that shouldn't be a game of the year: Not really sure what this means? Like B games that I still enjoyed a lot? Well in that case probably...actually I don't know I'll probably have to come back to this one.

Edit: Oh I thought of one. Saints Row 2.

6. Sideswipe80

Sideswipe80 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Best Retail Game of the Year: Modern Warfare 2

Great online, especially with my friends. Beautiful graphics.

Honourable mentions: Madden 2010, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, Transformers Revenge of the Fallen, Batman Arkham Asylum, UFC Undisputed (best fighting game I’ve played)

Best Downloadable Game of the Year (DSiware, Wiiware, PSN, XBLA, PC): Turtles in Time Remix.

Honourable Mentions: None

Best Handheld Game of the Year: None

7. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Can you possibly define this a little better?

Best game of the year that shouldn't be a game of the year

Is this like a guilty pleasure game? Something I like but don't feel it is deserving of even close to a game of the year consideration? Or something that I like a lot, but not as much as my number 1 game? I see that you put your honorable mention in this spot Twist, so that makes me think that it should just be my number 2 game. But if it is more of a guilty pleasure type of game, then I have a different answer entirely.

8. McBradders

Yeah pretty much something you really got in to that isn't really worth a mention when thinking about the best stuff of the year. Mine was Resi 5 cuz, yanno, it wasn't really Resident Evil, nor is it as good as a lot of other stuff, but my word I played the crap out of it. So an unexpected favourite, guilty pleasure... anything you like.

9. Deefuzz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Right on...Thanks, that helps me create a more accurate list :) 

10. Deefuzz

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Best Retail Game of the Year: Batman Arkham Asylum

Amazing game. The graphics, the gameplay, the art style, the story...it was all fun. And there was a lot of love for the source material which you could see in some of the hidden details in the game. I would probably consider this the best game based off of a comic franchise, it is THE Batman game, and I am beyond excited to play the sequel.

Honourable mentions: Assassin's Creed 2, Beatles Rock Band

Best Downloadable Game of the Year (DSiware, Wiiware, PSN, XBLA, PC): Peggle

Addictive as hell, amusing, and satisfying.

Honourable Mentions: Shadow Complex, Splosion Man

Best Handheld Game of the Year: Scribblenauts

Great idea and lots of fun. Missed a little on execution, but I am not a big handheld gamer at the moment so this takes top spot for me.

Best game of the year that shouldn't be a game of the year: DJ Hero

It is challenging, but I found the gameplay rewarding, and the music fantastic. Unlike when I play Guitar Hero or Rockband, I felt like I had an actual effect on the music. I found A LOT of fun with this game.

Honorable Mentions:Punch Out, Modern Warfare 2

11. Galaxy Convoy

Galaxy Convoy Well-Known Member

Best Retail Game of the Year: Street Fighter IV

Just like Twist, it sucked up more of my time than any other game this year

Best Downloadable Game of the Year (DSiware, Wiiware, PSN, XBLA, PC): Shadow Complex

A superb homage to Super Metroid, 'nuff said

Best Handheld Game of the Year: n/a (don't have a handheld)

Best game of the year that shouldn't be a game of the year: Resident Evil 5

Good game, but still fun despite it's flaws.

12. Liege Prime

Liege Prime Well-Known Member

News Credits:

This is tough, not playing everything yet, but I think I will have to hand it to Assassin's Creed 2. Very artistic, great controls, interesting story, lots of things to do and reasons to do it. Runners up would probably be Dragon's Age, New Super Mario Bros Wii and Batman. Batman was amazing for the 15 or so hours it took to beat it, but Dragon Age was engrossing for a shear 88 hours for one play through. Mario is just pure fun but I would have liked to see some more content.

This is easily Shadow Complex for me. I would love to see more of these, or full on retail releases that are huge. This is just a great way to setup a game.

I didn't play that many, but I would say Mario and Luigi: Bowzers Inside Story. The characters are just always appealing somehow.

I have to say Ghostbusters for the 360/PS3. I loved the game immensely but in all actuallity, the game itself is decent but made incredible by my own fanboyism for Ghostbusters. A runner up I have for this category is Fallout 3- it didn't get released this year, but the expansions were, and that got me to go through again and I love every minute of it.

13. McBradders

WTF get out of my head, Charles.

14. Howling

Howling I'M NOT A GUY!!!

News Credits:
    One game for all: Gran Turismo PSP

15. MetalRyde

MetalRyde is an a-hole with a heart.

Best Retail Game of the Year: Batman: Arkham Asylum, Street Fighter 4, Assassin's Creed 2

Best Downloadable Game of the Year (DSiware, Wiiware, PSN, XBLA, PC): Final Fantasy IV: The After Years(Wiiware), Fat Princess(PSN), Final Fantasy 8(PSN)

Best Handheld Game of the Year: Pokemon Platinum, Legand of Zelda: Spirit Track, Scribblenauts

Best game of the year that shouldn't be a game of the year: Resident Evil 5, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (XBOX360/PS3), GhostBusters(XBOX360/PS3)

16. Sage o' G-fruit

Sage o' G-fruit Critics gonna critique

News Credits:

Lego Rock Band

Space Invaders Get Even

Mega Man Star Force Three: Black Ace

YuGiOh 5Ds Stardust Accelerator

17. DaggersRage

DaggersRage Autistic bastard.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Dernit, I feel like such a cop out for choosing this one but the campaign is a tour-de-force (I spell that right?), and there's so much stuff for the multiplayer. Theres alot of stuff. I use to say BF2 (PC version) had lots of stuff, but no, MW2 has more stuff. Spec Ops mode is an absolute blasty, even if I got all 69 stars and unlocked 100% of the achievements, I'd still play more of it.

Shadow Complex - Who woulda thought a game about accidently coming across a secret military base would be so cool. I might be exadurating a bit but I feel that also this game raised the quality standards for downloadable games.

Resistance: Retribution - Super duper awsome shooter! I thought this game would've been easy with it's superb auto-aim but nooooooo the enemies are tough and agressive not making this a walk in the park. I can turn off the auto aim in the game and have no problems shooting still, but that doesnt change enemy AI behavior. They dont play nice... neither do I, bring it Chimera!

Ghostbusters - It's fun. What else can I say about this game? It's fun to the max. I regret that there is no co-op campaign for the xbl. The multiplayer is alright but it's basically a hordge mode with ghosts. I was hoping for like a mini campaign/adventure with the GB crew.

18. UnicronHound

UnicronHound Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:

Left 4 Dead 2

Battlefield 1943

19. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Best Retail Game of the Year: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3) and Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3/360). To say one is "better" then the other is splitting hairs. U2:AT is a masterful gaming experience with set pieces that will blow your mind. B:AA defies all odds of a licensed game and shatters expectations. It's a tremendous game that really puts you into the role of Batman. Both of these games were the best of what 09 had to offer to me.

Honourable mentions: Street Fighter IV, BlazBlue (welcome back great 2D fighters!)

Best Downloadable Game of the Year: Flower (PSN). Just a wonderful little game. A simple concept refined with a gorgeous art style and score that made the whole experience an absoulte joy.

Honourable mentions: Marvel vs. Capcom 2. Not a new game but come on, it's MvC2!

Best Handheld Game of the Year: Super Robot Taisen Original Generation Saga: Endless Frontier (DS). What a total surprise of a game! Mixing old 16-bit style RPG with a battle system more akin to the crazy chain combos of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 this game was a blast to play. Can't wait to check out the sequel.

Best game of the year that shouldn't be a game of the year: Resident Evil 5 (PS3/360). Yes it's flawed, yes there are RE games I like better, yes I had fun playing it. I played a ton of RE5 this year. I got 1000gp playing through and getting everything on the 360 version (my first 1000gp game). Plus I played Mercenaries mode a ton as well. Now I'm looking forward to the new episodes coming in Feb/March of 2010. It's not GotY but it's sure fun to play.

20. Eric

Eric RIP AND TEAR!!!

News Credits:
    Best Retail Game of the Year: Hmm...gotta go with Modern Warfare 2 on this one.

Best Downloadable Game of the Year (DSiware, Wiiware, PSN, XBLA, PC): I never really downloaded anything from this year, but can Mega Man 9 count? :p 

Best Handheld Game of the Year: Pokemon Platinum

Best game of the year that shouldn't be a game of the year: Halo 3: ODST. Huge disappointment.