The Official TFW GAMES OF THE GODDAMN DECADE THREAD - read the OP! READ IT.

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by McBradders, Dec 8, 2009.

1. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

This is the thread where we decide on our games of the decade. That means from 2000 to 2009. Anything released in that timeframe is up for inclusion.

What do you need to do? I will tell you!

1. Make a list! - pick your 10 games of the decade!

2. Check it twice! - Expand on your list. Any posts with a simple 1-10 of game names will be discounted from the overall totals. This means a description of the game, why you liked it, why you think it's worthy of being on your list. Just give the reasons you think it's the dawgs bawls yo.

3. Put your list in order - From 1 to 10. Your number 1 will get the the most points (10 of them) with each subsequent game recieving one less point (eg number 10 on your list gets one point).

That's it! Super easy.

The results will be posted in January.

The game of the year thread will be posted up in a couple of weeks.

THIS THREAD WILL BE CLOSED COME December 31st (ish)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  2. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    The decade started great with Daikatana and then it was all downhill from there.

List to come at some point.

3. seven

seven RIP Poopers 4-1993/5-2008

1) Battlefield 1942. Online team and class based shooter. 1942 got the Rock/Paper/Scissors gameplay perfect. One of the very first do anything you wish multiplayer games with a large variety of things to do. I spent more than 3 years playing this game every single day and still play it on occasion.

2) Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. Stealth based action game set during the Cold War. MGS3's stealth was my favorite, using different camoflauges to sneak through the jungle was such a thrill. The bosses were exciting and memorable and the setting really holds my interest.

3) Mass Effect. Space opera semi-shooter with some RPG stylings. Just the amount of choices in ME is awsome. The thing that got me the most was the mystery and then the revalations of the story. Also I like being a dick in games and this let me do it a lot.

4) Resident Evil 4. Action game with survival horror trappings. I've always been a fan of the RE games but found them hard to play. RE4 kind of switched things about the series that I loved, now I loved the controls but wasn't as fond of the story. Still, its one of the very few single player games I can play through multiple times.

5) Gears of War. Third person cover based shooter. the Gears series has always been my popcorn movie games, simple story but a universe I enjoy. Playing this game in Co-Op cemented my love for these games.

6) Full Spectrum Warrior. Third person tactical RTS. FSW was the most intense game I've ever played. I played co-op over live with my best friend, the shouting that took place led naighbors to believe me and my wife fought regularly. Getting pinned down and having to wait for the other squad to help you was such a rush.

7) God Of War: Chains of Olympus

8) Skate 2

9) GTA: San Andreas

10)
    List to continue after dinners.

4. star_ling

star_ling Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    I'll make a list as I can think of it but I'll start with the most creative and unknown so far (to me):

1. Scribblenauts - You have to try it!

5. chrisr291

chrisr291 Master of the Unknown

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    1. Madden 2001 PS2
    I'm a huge Football video game nut and when this game was released... oh man we didn't put it down for months. The most amazing football game released this decade!

2. Onimusha: Warlords 2001 PS2
    The intro was crazy! The story line was great and the gameplay was just so great it really sucked you in. This PS2 game really
    showed the power of the PS2.

3. Resident Evil 4 2005 Gamecube
    What can I say about this game that hasn't already been said. The first RE game since RE2 that i've played over and over and over again to make SURE I unlocked every single gun I could. Hands down, best RE game of the series.

4. Luigi's Mansion 2001 Gamecube
    This game was my last adventure into the Mario world. It was really different, but great as well. The Gamecube was my console of choice during the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube fight. its really to bad not a lot of peopled loved it as much as I did. Come on, the game had a designated button for Mario yelling! "mario?" "MMMMAARRIIOOO!!!" and "mmm mmmm mmmm mario?"

5. Modern Warfare 2 2009 PS3
    Although this game has only been out a couple of weeks, its sucked me back into the world of gaming. The gameplay is far superior to most of the other FP shooters out there today. However, I can't really rank MW1 because I had that on my 360 that never seemed to work more than 3 days straight without RROD on me. Plus, I never played online since it wasn't free. The PSN network has really opened my eyes to the awesomeness of this generations online gaming.

6. Gears of War 2006 xbox 360
    I got my xbox because of this game. Cutting monsters in half, throwing bombs... man this game was kick ass. Loved it! Truly an amazing experience and I didn't even mind that it was so short. who cares! this game had great replay possibilities

7. Splinter Cell 2003 PS2
    What every James Bond game should have been. You are Sam Fisher, a bad ass with sweet night vision goggles. Kill everyone, stay quite, or else your dead. You really feel like you accomplished something after completing one of these games

8. NCAA Football 2007 Xbox 360
    The Reggie Bush Cover..... my first current Generation football game. Of course, I created Reggie Bush and battled it out against my Longhorn friends (I went to UT... but I'm still a USC fan!) for weeks straight. hell, I almost failed so many classes because I had to defend my beloved Trojans against the Longhorn fans at my apartment complex. This game probably kept everyone awake because at the time... look at my set up
    [​IMG]
    It was one of the first HD TV's, and it was a 65 inch. we had wars on this game... road my 65 game win streak for months.

9. Batman arkham asylum 2009 PS3
    The first and only Batman game worth playing. As a huge Batman fan, i've played them all. batman Returns, Vengeance.... none of them captured Batman like this game. You do detective work, knock out bad guys and fight the Joker. What more could you want?

10. Legend of Zelda The Wind Waker 2003 Game Cube
    I wasn't really interested in this game until my niece got it. Then, I couldn't put it down. I loved how it seemed like a direct sequel to the N64 Zelda game. Although? are any Zelda game direct sequels? Man that timeline is confusing. Anyhow, yeah the boat sucks and what not but once you get passed that it is a truly amazing experience. I haven't had many Jaw dropping experiences in Video Gaming but finding Hyrule Underwater in the game really grabbed my attention and never let go. It was a game you had to see until the end.

6. jdre_124

jdre_124 Super Dick

News Credits:
    1.) Resident Evil 4: It really shows how good a game is when you replay over and over even when there's nothing else to unlock.
    2.) Dead Space: I like to think of it as RE4 with refined aesthetics and.. in space.
    3.) Bioshock: Talk about mixing a great story with awesome gameplay variety.
    4.) Battlefield Bad Company: Single player wasn't too awesome outside the humor but wow the multiplayer is amazing. Nothing like blowing the spot that sniper is in to pieces.
    5.) Call of Duty 4: Game came out of nowhere and grabbed me by the balls. Addictive MP and a thrillride of a SP.
    6.) Rainbow Six Vegas: First game I felt was a true 360 game. Deep MP with a engaging singleplayer. Love killing fools with my pink geared merc.
    7.) Gears of War: Another big game that suprised me at the time. I still remeber playing it over at a friends house and absolutely flipping shit at the berserker.
    8.) Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories: Yeah pretty random. Still probably my favorite GBA game of all time though. I think the game stopped counting how many hours I had logged on it...
    9.) Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops: Definetely a underrated entry into the MGS series. I still get shivers watching the cutscene where Elisa tells Snake his future.
    10.) Spider-Man (N64): I adored this game growing up and I still have fun playing it once in a while. I Know where all the hidden comic books are.

Will probably change this list soon. :\

7. Recall

Recall Player Select

News Credits:
    Question: I have a game choice that wasn't released here in the UK till 2000 even though it got a 1999 release elsewhere. Is this title still eligible?

8. McBradders

Sure.

9. Paladin

Paladin Have Zord, Will Travel

News Credits:
    Detroit- It's a shithole full of people who steal
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    1. Batman-Arkham Asylum. Beautiful game all-around, fantastic combat system and marvelously detailed atmosphere topped off with mind-testing challenges. Plus, its the goddamned BATMAN!!!

2. Skies of Arcadia- a fantastic RPG with great combat systems, wonderful characters and really fun gameplay.

3. Mass Effect- another RPG-type game with spectacular details.

4. God of War- basically a closet of Harryhausen creations brought to life digitally, packed with amazing combat & power.

5. Zone of Enders: The 2nd Runner. While the first game was good, the second one really built on the foundation and created a masterpiece Mecha game.

6. Metroid Prime- one of the classic gaming characters in a new first-person shooter format with resounding details.

7. Psychonauts- a fun adventure game with so many charming characters & gameplay elements.

8. Prototype- an amazingly fun hero-based sandbox game; powers are tons of fun and combat works amazingly well.

9. Gears of War 2- actually the series in general awesome but so far I think the second one is executing the formula better. Either way it has awesome shooter elements with a great atmosphere.

10. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess- really its a toss-up between this and "Wind Waker" for the Zelda slot on this list, but overall I liked Twilight Princess' atmosphere and fighting more, so it gets the spot. Great game.

10. Beastbot X

Beastbot X The Toad Knows.

News Credits:
    Hey Twist, can a series count as one entry? 'Cause otherwise my top 10 are all going to be from 2 or 3 series.

11. McBradders

No. We call that a "cop out". Go in hard or not at all. ;) 

12. Boardwise

Boardwise is scary - Sig Killer - M Super Mod

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Oh God.
    I'm still working on my films one.

13. Trailbreaker77

Trailbreaker77 Veteran TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    10.[​IMG] My all time favorite 2 player racer many, many hours of enjoyment out of this beauty. Thank you Black Box for bringing this franchise back to me!

9.[​IMG] This is what brought me back into fighters I have been a loyal SFII fan since the days on the SNES. Mortal Kombat, DOA, Tekken, Virtua Fighter while all were fun THIS is how you do a fighter.

8.[​IMG] Many wonderful family memories were made by this great game. The Wii has lost many hours due to this game, thanks Sony for trying something new.

7.[​IMG]WOW! This game totally changed how I looked at the Resident Evil franchise I hope they stick with format. I remember the first shot I took at a zombie's leg and the stumble that followed now that's how it should be, YES!

6.[​IMG] This game made me want to invest hundreds of dollars into a racing setup so I could get those perfect track times. With hundreds of cars to select from and all the tweaks to the cars. Well worth the wait for years to get my hands on this gem.

5.[​IMG]The gore, nudity, violence now this is what and adult game should be from now on. The sequel made me want to stay with the PS2 for a while longer. It was amazing what they were doing with the PS2 this many years into the system.

4.[​IMG] It was so different than anything I had ever played before. It was nothing but amazing scaling these giant beast and half way through this game I felt so bad. I was just slaughtering these giant colossus for what again, what did they do to me. Best part for me was being able to go right to the best part and fight these guys instead of having to go through waves and waves of stupid henchmen.

3.[​IMG] I have no words played so many times to see what I could do different each time. The story was great I could actually follow this one. I would love to see the made into a movie.

2.[​IMG] I feel like such a badass when I play this it's like a superhero game without all the cheezy ass costumes and villains.

1.[​IMG] Best game EVER! I loved the first one, this one goes above and beyond everything the first game did and then some. Once you play a game like this you know leaving this video game hobby thing is never going to happen.

Other notable games that I just couldn't put on the list.
    Batman A.A., Killzone, GTA 4, Fallout 3
    All great games I just couldn't knock off any that I had on.

14. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
    In no order.

Edit: Now in order.

1-Mario Galaxy: best Mario game since 64, it had amazing levels, fun quests, and fantastic music.

2-Legend of Zelda Wind Waker: Best Zelda game period.

3-Viewtiful Joe: Got me playing beat'em ups, great gameplay, fun characters and awesome music.

4-F-Zero GX: The only racing game I ever liked, beyond amazing speed that was at the same time controllable.

5-Super Smash Bros Melee: An awesome party game that was played 90% of the time by me and my pals.

6-Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga: An wonderful RPG that had a hilarious story and ingenious combat system.

7-Dead Space: A chilling story and atmosphere and top notch combat makes this my fav shooting game.

8-Gotcha Force: One of the GC's most under rated games, it had an awesome fighting system and huge numbers of playable characters.

9-Mad World: Stylish graphics and bloody finishers make this a fun game.

10-Kirby Canvas Curse: One of Kirby's most fun games, I was gonna put Superstar but its just a remake.

15. Trailbreaker77

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Magmatron,

Dude they need to be in order so Twin Twist can put points toward them. Read the OP dude, bro, bra or whatever nickname they are using now.

16. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
    Fixed, homie.

17. Trailbreaker77

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    :thumbs2: :thumbs2: Cool! :bay 

18. Cavshock

Cavshock Well-Known Member

Well, my list off the top of my head. Probably forgot tons of games - oh well.
    Remember, these are my favorites and some would probably never make the top 200 list for EGM and the what not.

1. HALO - I rented an x-box and HALO just to see what the buzz was about. I finally slept after I took the x-box back to the rental store and was having my own LAN parties soon after. I attended tournaments and went to the midnight release of HALO 2. Best game in the series in my opinion and only loses to the sequels in multiplayer because of XBL and single flag capture the flag.

2. Fallout 3 - This game had just about everything for me. The setting was just about spot on perfect. The music alone could've sucked me into the game. Add in the DLC....I spent more time with this game then my family during the months of play.

3. World of Warcraft - My wife got this game as a coping mechanism while I was deployed and made me play it when I got back. Honestly I had NO interest in the game (I detest most online games) and played it briefly just to make her happy. I spent three years fighting this game, I would go months with out playing and then log back on just to get a level or two. Three years of playing like this is how long it took to get me to level 80 but I admit now....im addicted. Game must lace my keyboard with cocaine or something.

4. Hearts of Iron 2 - Play through WW2 making pretty much EVERY decision for the country of your choice. Want to play as Brazil? Go ahead! After conquering territory you can actually "liberate" countries that didn't exsist during WW2 but do now. I liberated Isreal while playing as Germany and actually had Isreal as a puppet of Nazi Germany - Crazy.

5. Star Wars : KOTOR 2- I could've picked either one but went with the second because of how I enjoyed the characters more. A Star Wars game that has an engaging story and how your responses change how you are viewed plus tons more of nice things I can't remember right now.

6. Beyond Good & Evil - Beautiful game, addicting just about everything, and an interesting story. Please give me the sequels and make it real quick like.

7. Advance Wars : Dual Strike - I spent many hours passing my DS around my squad as we tried outwitting each other. The many alliances and backstabs made these matches last for hours. The tons of generals and their special abilities, nice unit balance, and tons of maps/map editor made this game tons of fun.

8. Twisted Metal : Black - Machine guns, missiles, vehicular carnage, and Sweet Tooth transforming to a robot for his special. What could go wrong with that formula?

9. Ninja Gaiden (X-box) - I got so pissed off at the game and almost traded it in (and I rarely trade games in) after I spent the first couple of days getting my ass kicked by the first boss. WTF? After calming myself down I tried one more time, beat the boss and spent the rest of the game just enjoying how difficult it was.

10. Rock Band 2 - Tons of different songs, fun multiplayer, and tons DLC. It is fun pretending that I actually know how to drum, play guitar, or bass. I don't bother singing - I leave that up to the wife.

I was thinking of Bioshock, Assassins Creed, Gears of War, Twilight Princess, and a couple of others but didn't want to fill my list with too many games that will be on most others lists.

{Edit - Fixed....again.}

Chuck

19. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    1. Resident Evil 4- I have always loved the RE series, and when they came out with this one, a waaaaaay better control setup...they definately improved. Not to mention, the variety they give you with buying guns and whatnot. Only complaint...they weren't really zombies.

2. GTA IV- Another game series that I really enjoyed, they improved greatly on this game, especially giving it a multiplayer. Only complaint, I miss the planes, but I understand why they were taken out.

3. Half-Life 2- Half Life was a great game, this game was even better, not to mention they even continued the story line with the extra episodes.

4. Super Smash Brothers Melee- A great fighting game, with the superstars of Nintendo!

5. Left 4 Dead 2- Take a zombie apocalypse game, put it in fps, add multiplayer, a bunch of campaigns, and make it better than the first game!

6. Ghostbusters(PS3)- Great game based off a classic movie...just don't cross the streams!

7. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess- I never got into the Windwaker, I played it and just couldn't enjoy it as much. This one had a epic adventure with Link

8. Spiderman 2:movie(GC)- This game had a great setup to go webslinging through the city, hell, free roam has to be one of the more entertaining aspects of this game.

9. Star Wars: Jedi Knight 2-Jedi Outcast- Being a Star Wars fan, I had to have at least one in here. This one had quite an adventure. Starting as FPS, and moving to Jedi abilities, which you got to upgrade to your choice.

10. Need For Speed: Underground- One of my favorite racing games, gave variety to your car choice and parts you can drop into that car, and take it to the streets!

20. McBradders

Number your entries, please.