The Official Star Wars: The Old Republic Thread (SWTOR)

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Kickback, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    I'm shocked - I did a search and only found older threads for this upcoming MMO. And considering release is speculated at now only being a couple of months away, it's time to get ourselves ready for some Star Wars goodness!!!!!

Simply put - Star Wars The Old Republic (or SWTOR from here on) is World of Warcraft, but with Star Wars. The UI is incredibly similar, the combat is incredibly similar (there are differences and I'll explain), it has the same loot concept (white/yellow/blue/purple as opposed to gray/white/green/blue/purple/gold). But there are some big differences that should make this game "hella" fun.

What is the idea behind the game?
    This game takes place some 3,500 years before "Star Wars: Episode I the Phantom Menace". The Republic and the Imperial Empire are at war (obviously) and both have enlisted the help from The Force - the Republic with Jedis and the Empire with Siths.

You choose a faction (just like in WoW) as Republic or Empire, a class, and you begin your journey. The game world progresses as your character's own story progresses as well.

Sounds like WoW to me. What makes it different?
    Well, World of Warcraft has a very deep and rich story behind it. However, with World of Warcraft, the story is entirely optional - you can just go out and start grinding (and now doing dungeons over and over) and level up no problem, never once taking a quest.

You can't do that in SWTOR - in fact, they even say it's nearly impossible. If you want to play this game, get gear, get good, and enjoy it, you HAVE to play out the storyline.

The game is so heavily story-related that you have your typical "World quests" that reveal stories about the world, but also your character has their own unique "class" quest system, that tells the storyline of your character.

So it's linear? Lame.
    Who said it's linear? The game is non-linear. Once you get your spaceship around level 10 (yup, your own spaceship) you can go to any planet you want to ... just remember that you'll probably die on most of them except for the ones in your level range. You can refuse quests or take as many as you want - it's up to you.

Okay. What classes are there?
    Glad you asked. Each side has a mirror class, more or less.

• Jedi Knight / Sith Warrior
      [*]Jedi Consular / Seth Inquisitor
      [*]Smuggler / Bounty Hunter
      [*]Trooper / Imperial Agent

In World of Warcraft, once you've chosen your class and reach a certain level, you can pick one of three "tech-trees" to advance the skills of your character. Example being instead of just being a "Hunter" you can be a "Hunter Marksman" or a "Hunter Beastmaster", all based on the tech-tree you select.

The same goes for SWTOR, only they actually call it picking a "second-class".

Jedi Knight = Guardian (Tank) / Sentinel (DPS)
    Sith Warrior = Juggernaut (Tank) / Marauder (DPS)
    Jedi Consular = Sage (DPS/Heals) / Shadow (DPS)
    Sith Inquisitor = Assassin (DPS) / Sorceror (DPS/Heals)
    Smuggler = Gunslinger (DPS) / Scoundral (DPS)
    Bounty Hunter = Powertech (DPS) / Mercenary (DPS)
    Trooper = Vanguard (DPS) / Commando (DPS)
    Imperial Agent = Operative (DPS/Heals) / Sniper (DPS)

It's important to note that all classes will have abilities to heal, I just listed some of the more "primary roles" that each extra class will have.

Is this another one of those stupid "have to group" games?
    Grouping with other players is suggested and preferred, but actually no, you don't have to. As you progress through the game, you're given companions that automatically follow you and become part of your personal story. They can fight in battle with you (each have their own class), they can grow to love you or hate you based on the decisions you make in the game, they can even go out and gather materials for you to craft from, or even just craft them for you! They level up with you and get stronger as you do (though they are useless in endgame content, so says BioWare).

I want to be a Jedi and wield a lightsaber and go kill stuff. Can I?
    You can pick one of the two Jedi classes (Knight/Consular) and eventually get your lightsaber (via a class storyline quest) and then go do whatever you want. Obviously you're a "good guy" so you can't go too evil, but apparently if you choose enough storyline options that have you more aligned to the "dark side" of the force, apparently you will be able to wield a lightsaber with a red crystal (ie: a red lightsaber). Same for the Sith side for those who want to be the most good evil guy ever.

Is this another game where you attack something and can read a book while your character auto-attacks?
    Yes and no. The character will automatically stay in battle as you fight, and the fighting is slowed down a little bit from the other MMO's on the market, but what makes SWTOR unique is the number of animations they have for each movie - anywhere from 6 to 20 different "animations" depending on what you're fighting, what you're fighting with, status effects, etc.

And for those pesky lightsaber on lightsaber battles ... yes, they incorporated a lot of "lightsaber blockings/cool moves" for those epic battles.

Is there PvP?
    There will be three types of servers (just like WoW) ... PvP/PvE/RP. A PvP server means any planet that is neutral is fair game, and there's nothing to stop high levels from ganking lower level players. In PvE/RP servers, you will have a PvP switch you can toggle on/off depending on what you feel like doing. Some areas in PvE worlds will still be forceful PvP, as well as many PvP arenas (just like in WoW).

Other random notes
    - Auction House accessable through your spaceship
    - All voice acting. No text.
    - Pets
    - Green/Blue/Yellow/Red/Purple lightsabers
    - Various colors for blasters
    - A ton of armor looks (including the ability to change the armor colors to match your chest piece)
    - Imagine WoW, now imagine that it's Star Wars themed, and throw in some extra goodies, and you have SWTOR

You can pre-order the game now (Collectors Edition or Regular Edition) to get some cool extras (including early access, aka, "stress test weekends").

www.swtor.com

Discuss!

2. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

To say that I am very excited for this game would be a massive understatement. Signed up fir the site first day it went up, preordered collectors edition the day it went up, can't wait. I play a fairly high amount of games, but I havn't been excited for one like this in a long, looong time. Cant wait for open beta next month.

3. Overlord Balder

Overlord Balder Voices Slugslinger!

I've been waiting for this game for my whole goddamn mortal life, so I say BRING IT ON!

I even [occasionally] visit their TOR forum, because this game is going to kick ASS.

Here's the hope that it will be free-to-play, I don't care if we have a shitload of class restrictions like POTC Online, I only want to play a true SW MMo, travel the planets, and play those awesome flashploints.

4. j3

j3 Kiefer is my Big Boss TFW2005 Supporter

I was quite surprised there was no TOR thread myself the other day. I'm not a huge MMOer (making it hard to find a guild I've discovered), usually quitting after about 24 hours total playtime; but I have this one pre-ordered (Collector's Edition) and have clocked so many more hours in testing already.

5. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Not interested in the trad MMO stuff, but definately going to roll througth the story on both sides and have as complete a look around as possible since Pre-Ruusan is my favorite flavor of Star Wars.

6. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I really don't look forward to it. For a few reasons:

1) I really hate Old Republic timelines. I was always a Original Trilogy type of guy(ep 4-6). Which SWG provided.

2) Despite SWG going downhill because of their "upgrades/enhancements", I still enjoy the game on occasion. This will officially kill the game that I spent so many hours into, for what? I am not gonna go into the whole SWG argument of downfall, but the point is, this game created the nail in the coffin.

3) I don't like WoW or the WoW setup(controling), from what I hear, it will be a lot like it in terms of control(not the storyline gameplay as stated above).

4) After the whole garbage of the SWG NGE taking what used to be a wide variety of classes and mixing classes, from 45 down to 9 strict classes, I don't like that I would be once again limited

5) Maybe the SWTOR killing SWG will finally get me out of these pay to play MMO's. (ok, that may be a positive more than a negative)

7. Primus

Primus Beware, the modelers. Veteran

News Credits:
    I thought there was already a thread for this but maybe not. Or maybe it's just eon's old. Regardless, I'm really looking forward to it.

Kicky, are you already in a guild that's set up? I haven't looked into it too much but I know you can already sign up guilds and kind-of join them. I preordered my digital copy the day it went live. Yay!

8. j3

Is there going to be an "official" TFW2005 guild? I'm still looking for a casual guild to complete Heroic and Flashpoint missions.

Also, if you get 10+ members your guild may be selected to join in the testing phase.

9. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I want to make HK-47 and kill meatbags:mad 

Maybe i missed it but have they said what it will cost a month?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  10. j3

They have not yet revealed any subscription pricing

11. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    Isn't the standard like $15 a month if you pay by month, and if you pay by the year it is $12? I swear, that was what most games did.

12. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    Pretty sure that's what WoW does.

I only paid for a month though before i quit

13. Spoiler

Spoiler Autobot Spoiler

News Credits:
    I know that was how it was for Everquest and SWG.

14. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    A lot of MMOs are going free to play with revenue coming from micro-transactions these days. But this I expect will have the standard $15/mo sub fee.

Anyway, I'm pretty psyched for this game. Planning on a Sith Warrior. I just really hope it doesn't turn into the same ultra-delayed reward system WoW has where you do the same boring shit for a month to get one mediocre piece of gear.

15. Eric

Eric Per sempre marciamo.

News Credits:
    When is this game coming out? I wanna go Sith. :D 

16. Kickback

Kickback Proud father Administrator Super Mod News Staff

News Credits:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    Tumblr:
    The game WILL have a pay-to-play set-up. Can't get around it - but with the hype and the amount of pre-orders, it's no surprise.

You can create or join a guild right now ... but the catch is you are randomly placed on a server. That kind of bites - make your own guild and get stuck on a server that's PvE or PvP when you wanted one or the other.

September 2nd starts the "beta weekends" ... where they open up two servers for thousands of beta-testers (think of it more as a "stress test"). Rumor has it you'll be able to play through the noob area and the following planet (with one dungeon). So that'll take you to about level 15-20, at which point they'll probably cap it.

You probably won't get to pick your side, race, or class, at least not the full offering.

17. RabidYak

RabidYak Go Ninja Go Ninja Go

Just caved and put in a preorder. Probably too late to get in the initial batch, but I don't mind waiting considering how much other shizz is out Q4.

So what characters are folks going to be hitting up first when it goes properly live? I'm going to be wrecking shit Malgus-style with a Sith Warrior, althougth i'll probably go pureblood rather then human.

18. Red Alert

Red Alert Security

News Credits:
    I'd probably go with a Smuggler/Scoundrel/Bounty Hunter over a Jedi.

Everyone will be a sith/jedi class so i'll just snipe and assist my team.

19. Atomsplitter

Atomsplitter Needs a new title.

I plan on being a Sith Juggernaut, already have a friend whos gonna be playing Powertech, and I don't care for the Agent or Inquisitor. Might switch to Marauder, but probably not.

I do wish there were more classes though, that's something Galaxies did very, very right.

20. j3

First'll be a Bounty Hunter, Mercenary for DPS, if no other reason than I've gotten used to it. I hear good things about the IA's story so maybe that 2nd. Jedi or Sith 3rd.