The Official "Sonic The Hedgehog" Thread

Discussion in 'Video Games and Technology' started by Surge, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    I don't know if there's already a thread based on this but I wanted to open up one anyway. Here, you can discuss what you like about the series, your favorite games, characters, stages, songs, etc. It's all up to you; discuss what you like! But keep it Sonic-related.

Personally, I would love to see a new 3D game with Knuckles as a main playable character. More importantly, I want to see a 2D sidescrolling game with 3D graphics, kinda like the New Super Mario Bros. series. Sonic Rivals doesn't necessarily count since it's a racing/beat-em-up game. Oh, and who else agrees that "Eggman" should stay named as ROBOTNIK? "Eggman" does get a little annoying.

2. ZeroMayhem

ZeroMayhem Henshin a Go-Go Baby!

Hi:
    [​IMG]

3. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    I thought Sonic Rush was still just traditional 2D graphics? Oh what do I know...I've never played it but my brother has a DS so I'll have to pick it up some time.

4. OptimusGinrai

OptimusGinrai Is Not The Breakman

Sonic Rush is an amazing game. I think it's a must buy.

5. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

Well, yes, I would love a new game that is classic side scrolling with modern 3D, like some sequences in 'Sonic Unleashed'. Many of the GBA and DS games are fantastic.

Speaking of which, 'SU' would be heaps better minus the 'Werehog' rubbish. I can't get any further because of one stupid Werehog level. Werehog's controls are clunky and unresponsive.

I have no idea where the name change for Robotnik came from. Eggman is lame. I heard a rumour it was because it sounded too 'Russian' and stereotyped, but who really cares? A group of hard line Russians that have never played a VG in their lives and don't know a PS2 from a toaster?

Anyway, I have been a fan of Sonic since the old Master System days.
    I still play all the old school games, Sonic mainly. Have the various collections, especially the PS2 'Mega-Collection' and 'Gems' compilations.
    Favourite games? Its tough, but:

'Sonic Chaos' on Master System and 'Sonic 2' on Genesis/Mega Drive.
    'Sonic 3' and 'Sonic CD', 'Sonic 1', 'Sonic and Knuckles', etc are all good, but I find myself playing 'Sonic 2' and 'Sonic Chaos' more often.
    I also downloaded a lot of Sonic music remixes off the web recently. Mostly remixed Mega Drive/Genesis stuff.

6. TJOmega

TJOmega The Plastic Addict Content Contributor

News Credits:
    I really want to know why Sonic can only be done right on handhelds... those usually turn out good (Dark Chronicles, I'm looking away from you...) so why not just do it in 3D on the consoles instead of raping the franchise with teamup and transformation gimmicks and forced boring gameplay and new characters nobody cares about while two dozen others you've made in the last decade collect dust. Seriously, why include things like werehogs? If I wanted to play beat-em up style I'd play as Knuckles, so just include Knuckles!

7. Hand Of Omega

Hand Of Omega Well-Known Member

Indeed.

8. Surge

Surge Village Dolt

News Credits:
    Agreed. The new console games seem to be garnering harsh reviews and I can see why, after playing Sonic Heroes. Like I said in my original post, I wish SEGA and Sonic Team would develop a console 3D game but with the classic 2D sidescrolling gameplay we all know and love. Anyway...

Favorites

Game: Sonic 3
    Character: Knuckles
    Stage: Icecap Zone
    Song: Angel Island Zone Act 2 theme

I also hope Silver is playable in a new adventure-based game. He's freaking awesome!

9. SoundMaster

SoundMaster Likes RID Bulkhead.

News Credits:
    I have quite a bit of Sonic Games. My favorite is probably Sonic Rush. And for old school Sonic fans, Mega and Gems collection are a must buy.

10. TJOmega

News Credits:
    The last console game I thought lived up to Sonic was Sonic Adventure. It doesn't age well, but for it's time it was great and it had the right idea: variety of gameplay with different characters. I really wish they'd go back to that, especially with the gameplays branching out like they have been. Sonic for speed levels, Tails for flying, Knuckles for brawling and (better) exploration, Shadow for gunning, Amy for puzzles, and Rouge for stealth. See? Lots of variety and no need for yet another new character.

11. McBradders

McBradders James Franco Club! Moderator

Sonic 3 is where the series started going to hell.

Oh well :( 

12. Opticron Primal

Opticron Primal Comin' up OOOs!

News Credits:
    Whoever doesn't list either "Sonic the Hedgehog" for the 360 or "Shadow the Hedgehog" as one of they're favorite Sonic games should get a brick to the head.

Two of the best Sonic games Sega has ever graced us with.

We are not worthy........we.....are not worthy......

13. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Sonic was dead to me the first time I heard him talk.

Long live 1,2,3 (& Knuckles).

14. magmatron

magmatron Hyper Sentinel Force!

News Credits:
    I think it was because that was his original Jap name, it would explain why everything he makes is egg themed.

15. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    I love the classic Sonic games, but I don't get why they never ever seem to be able again to make a good Sonic game...

The last game on PS2 would have been great, If they left out all those talking stuff and the Werewolf Levels. THAT would have been a Sonic game I would like to play...

It would be simply enough, if they did it the same way, like the classic games, but with a 3D engine and take some advantages of that type of engine for leveldesign, but keep the actual gameplay in 2D rather than 3D... so you can pace through the levels and decide for yourself if you keep jumping around for some rings or secret areas, or if you just run straight to the exit...

That is ALL they should do for gameplay... nothing more, nothing less...

They were so brilliant in the 90s, I don't get why they cannot keep up with that? =(

I still play the classic games on my Mega Drive sometime... they're still fun. Only thing is, you know every corner in every level, which gets it boring though...

By the way: Some tracks in Sonic 3 were written by Michael Jackson. I love the track in Ice Cap Zone, which kinda sounds like Smooth Criminal in some passages. Still whistling that one some time! =)

16. llamatron

llamatron Shut up, Nigel. TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    I don't remember exactly, but I believe I heard that he was involved at some point but they kicked him off and (possibly) kinda just reworked what he had done.

17. MunseMan

MunseMan Chuck Testa

News Credits:
    got sonic mega collection (gc) for 5 bucks

18. TJOmega

News Credits:
    The name just came from Robot, same way you get Decepticon from deception. Just has to do with what he does. It wasn't changed for any politically correct reason, when the game moved to 3D the graphics started reflecting the japanese Eggman name, like in Adventure when Eggman was an insulting name for him, but he still used it as a password to a door in his lair, what sense does that make? Sprites are easy fixes but not full polygon maps, so easier just to call him Eggman from now on. Times like this I keep in mind english words are exotic-sounding in Japan so Eggman isn't so silly, it's like if you met a white kid named Tsukasa in your neighborhood.

19. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    At some point I found an article about that and which tracks where made by him, but he did not want to be credited or something like that...

But I don't know if it was in wikipedia or somewhere else...

20. Murasame

Murasame CHIMICHANGAS

News Credits:
    And Robotnik doesn't sound exotic? I don't think it would be a great effort creating the name Robotnik in polygons...