The Official Show off Your AFA Toys Thread

Discussion in 'The Toyark' started by Forever_Convoy, Jun 3, 2006.

1. Forever_Convoy

Forever_Convoy Risen From the Ranks

What's up again everybody.

since there hasnt been a thread dedicated to those of us who get our valuable stuff permanently sealed i thought that i would kick start one off. here is one my submissions. Enjoy

[​IMG]

:Gouki: 

keep this thread going!!!:thumb 

F_C

2. Forever_Convoy

here is another...

i am very proud of this one

[​IMG]

F_C

3. Liokaiser

Liokaiser Super Mod

News Credits:
    Oh my gosh. Thats.........amazing.

4. Forever_Convoy

here is a closer shot of "The Three Brothers"

[​IMG]

I just need to send in my Korean Print Brave Maximus and finally find the Japanese G1 Fort Max (with the master sword) and the family will be complete :wink: 

Thanx for the compliment Lio:thumb 
    Took a while to finally get these located and sealed. some of the holy grails in my collection. more holy grails to come :D 

F_C

5. Deefuzz

Deefuzz Beard On! Beardmaster! Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    that's awesome!

How do you go about getting stuff graded? What kind of fee is associated with that?

6. Shin-Gouki

Shin-Gouki Rebuilding Veteran

News Credits:
    Originally: Huntington Beach, CA, Now: Cincinnati
    While I think your Maxs are increadible, I personally think the AFA is a scam and does nothing but hike the prices of things. I would rather take the extra time and find them in good quality myself for 1/2 the price.

7. Forever_Convoy

Shin,

I have to agree with you when you mention the prices for the grading and custom making of the cases. It shouldn't be THAT much. Usually I only send in one or two at a time. But because the size of the Maxes are so big, it definitely inflated the price.

Well, at least it was for the Maxes. I def wouldn't send just anything to AFA.

Thanx for the props friend:thumb 

F_C

8. Forever_Convoy

Deefuzz,

the final price is determined by the size of the piece you send to them. Of course, the smaller and lighter the figure, the more economical it will be. But if you send something in like one of the Max brothers then you're going to be looking at the opposite end of the price spectrum. AFA can do a bit better with their prices though. If you do send in anything, be sure it is something you absolutely cherish and would not mind not being able to open it EVER. Also, for it to receive a grade, the figure must be factory sealed. hope it helps. thanx for the props friend.

F_C

9. 03Mach1

03Mach1 Reason Has No Voice

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    My thoughts on this will only stir up the hornets nest. So I'll keep them to myself. Nice Max's, though.

10. ams

ams Generation All Veteran

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    You absolutely took the exact words out of my mouth. Although I think AFA is a sham, your Brothers Max are terrific - I've got them all as well, but only Brave Max and Grand Max in box.

If I ever did permanently ensconce something in plastic, it would only be items with window boxes where you can still see the toy. Nevertheless, these are a crown jewel for anyone's collection. Very nice.

11. Fretburn

Fretburn We need Instrument TFs

Wow what a scam. AFA grading. That takes toy collecting to a certain level that my mortal brain just won't accept.

12. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    Anything is more valuable with a meaningless number slapped on it!

although for the maxes, I can understand it. you'd be hard pressed to find a display case that will protect them and show them off as well as an AFA case, let alone fit them.

13. Forever_Convoy

wow, i didnt realize that AFA stuff was so taboo around here, let alone immoral according to fretburn (whatever that means)

14. Valkysas

Valkysas Attack Buffalo

News Credits:
    AFA is just a way to hike up the resale value of something. the grading system is completely innacurate, and they've even graded bootleg items.

15. Forever_Convoy

yeah, i didn't agree with their initial prices for what they were charging me for the Brothers Max. I had to haggle with them. I only went with them because I wanted to ensure that the condition of these grails will stay flawless for as long as i have them. I'm never gonna sell them anway.

F_C

16. Frognal

Frognal Prodigal Son Returned

Same here, but mine's along a different line.

17. Spark

Spark General Electric

Well, they're certainly pretty for something rendered completely useless. Of course, that's the same as MISB collecting to me anyway.

I think you might be hard pressed to find anyone else around here who has had anything AFA graded.

18. Nightscream

Nightscream JP TF Master Collector

Ebay:
    I wonder if it's possible to complain about such gradings? I like the idea of the AFA, but not the execution. I don't think a simple score, or three scores, is enough. I think every graded toy should come with a document explaining every flaw and how many points off 100 was deducted for that.

19. KA

KA PENIS GOES WHERE?!!

News Credits:
    this my opinion of AFA grading.

i think its very much valid for bubble cased action figures, specifically vintage SW action figures. resealing scams were abound for a time and AFA was set up to handle such cases.

with boxed figures, i'm not sure you face the same problem. a seller only need to proof the box and toy condition and completeness, which is easily validated by photos.

how rare are REAL MIB sealed TF toys do usually see pop up? even then, buyers tend to be very suspicious of the contents (since theres no way you can inspect TFs packaged in non-windowed boxes).

i'm not really biased abt AFA. its just that, theres something fundamentally... incorrect abt grading boxed toys with no windows.

20. Orodruin

Orodruin @deathformer TFW2005 Supporter

News Credits:
    Hell, it's hard to find people who keep anything sealed around as it is. It's a very "shred and play" bunch we've got. :p 

Those Maxes are sick though (in a good way).