The Official Rant Thread

Discussion in 'Transformers Toy Discussion' started by Capirus, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    That seems like a fan-writer who hated the Quintessons robbing them of their very identity and changing them beyond recognition to be honest
    It's the kind of geewun behavior this franchise should unlearn.
    I don't mind if the Quintessons weren't all Squids.
    I have a fan-idea about them originating from another galaxy where the dominant Quint sub-species were much larger, powerful Chtulhu-like creatures that conquered a great empire and the Quintessons we know were from a subspecies that founded a VOC type company that explored other galaxy's, founded colonies and established trade relations.
    Then a disaster destroyed the empire and our Quints founded Cybertron, Quintessa and other colonies, stranded in our galaxy.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

This was more about fans speaking against the idea of toys for the Primes (really in this case mostly a stand in for any part of the franchise) because they disliked them, but yeah I would like a better story for them. The fictional depictions of them so far have been vehicles for McGuffins, lame villains, over the top supernatural woo, boring villains and just a bunch of jerks who started colonies. They are pretty cool in the line of precursors, ambiguously mythological, and the one story that managed to do anything with the variety of interesting powers and presences was IDW (the "jerks who started colonies.") I wouldn't mind their ambiguity being given up if it meant something were done with it. I just like them and in the case of Solus (dumb Covenant of Primus romance aside), even find them individually relatable and cool. Nexus and Onyx are badass and deserved toys months ago. Quintessons are quite cool villains too and could rear their ugly faces in fiction within that context without a (non-positive) peep from me, and naturally I will back their toys regardless.

Wouldn't mind some back of the box blurbs and such tying them and the Quints together as a vehicle for toys of them, if it came down to that. Not sure about the Aligned Quintus-Quintesson thing, however. Hasbro needs better writers. They are how we got Angstronus and the Prime Masters.:eek: 

• Like Like x 2
  3. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    I liked the IDW depiction of the Primes. Right until Barber started his "They were just Shockwave's flunkies" storyline.
    I wouldn't mind a Primes and Quintessons story.
    I wouldn't mind Quintus being the progenitor of the Quintessons in theory, but if so it should be handled a lot better.
    Something like the Primes finding a budding society and deeming it suitable to share their technology with, only to corrupt that society as a consequence might have potential.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Edwardmus Prime

Edwardmus Prime Righteous Protector of Ed-Land

@Windsweeper II, the IDW story with them was pretty good and all, but not what I necessarily want out of a Primes story and — of course — Shockwave had to screw things up. I don't mind the Quintus-Quintesson thing either, just not how Aligned did it. What we have here is a pretty cool idea to tie them together for a toyline, but we are kind of straying from the toy topic. Therefore, I am going to segue into a rant (not directed at you or anyone else, mate.)

______
    I'm probably going to get met with heavy resistance here but: Siege appears to me, to be Hasbro selling products for more than their worth and possibly planning to attempt to make customers buy these products a second time.

Let's start with battle damage — like it or not in looks or concept, but let's look at what it does here. With the robots being exceptionally (greebly) G1 in robot form, the battle damage is a good way of deviating from the norm. It also ups the demand for cleaner versions. Plenty are going to clean their Transformers off so they don't look like the kids stole them for a little bit, but from Hasbro's perspective there should still be folks who don't take initiative (if they even anticipated the wonders of isopropyl alcohol.)

Which goes into the next thing — the "Cybertronian" modes. Dare I even call them that because they are so lazy that they look like the result of a Back to the Future time machine car show. These are another means of distinguishing them from your average Greebly 1 and also a way to get Cybertron mode fans like me to buy them (which may work if I can find sales.) But, many have speculated the possibility of there being Earth remolds and it's quite blatant in Optimus, Hound, Sideswipe, and Megatron so far. I'm not saying you can't necessarily want these and purchase them when/if they happened, but Hasbro seems to be pulling a long con here to get people to purchase slight remolds/recolors of previously established molds.

But, that falls into the category of speculation and — again — it's your money, so pay for whatever you want with how much you're willing to. The real meat of why the line isn't worth it is quite simply the size to price ratio. These toys in the US have gone up massively in price, yet they have had an across the line size reduction. One might say that the other toys had more hollow spaces (even though Sideswipe's legs and forearms are hollow as any CW Deluxe), but they also tended to have added accessories such as Combiner hands and feet that mass was allocated to. The toys have more articulation (even though TR Galvatron has ankle tilts and no wrist swivel like Siege Megs), but they couldn't have taken that added parts budget from the removal of Titan Masters and Combiner parts to add the articulation, maintaining the general sizes across the board? And the wave one toys currently in hand are just the beginning, the core robot of Shockwave is shorter than Megatron who is the height of Classics Prime (a toy many considered short until Siege Prime came out, apparently), Sideswipe is shorter than your average POTP Deluxe without the expected backpack or large accessories to make up for lost mass, etc. If they were to have made them smaller, but the same price, sure, but that isn't the case. They are going to be smaller across the board and more expensive unless Target and Walmart decide to throw us a bone, which they didn't with Studio Series.

So, in summation, they may be giving us imperfect looks so we can double dip on the molds but are also most certainly spiking the price for the line and giving us smaller overall toys within it. Siege somehow manages to downgrade from the line of missed opportunities that is POTP, in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not telling people how to spend their money. I'm just ranting and possibly giving some people on the fence some things to think about.

Also, a small peeve is the line handing out generic/normal weapons and giving them nonsense names with no meaning to try to make the line seem united.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    That nicely sums up what I've been thinking lately.

6. Thundermania

Thundermania Banned

I'm sick of the goddamm purple cyclops hogging the spotlight, he's not that great. Fuck! I hate that all the good people died at the end of IDW leaving only the crappy new people, but thank Primus the human cast wasn't harmed. I also hate that Unicron was a goddam sea urchin!

7. Canbot

Canbot Well-Known Member

HOW BOUT DAT MP 44 PRICE, EH? EH??EH?!?!?!?

8. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    :gen069: 

9. KABAR432

KABAR432 giving beasts a forever home

News Credits:
    Ebay:
    Twitter:
    Instagram:
    :popcorn 

10. Steelfire

Steelfire Well-Known Member

I hate when "official" is used without the authority of any office.

I hate when "confirmed" is used for things that clearly aren't.

I hate when people talk but they're stupid and it makes me sad.

Just another day in paradise.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    Oh! Think twice!
    It's just another for you and me in paradise.

IDW was all about good people dying in stupid pointless ways. And now we know that was always true in a very meta way. (well maybe not meta)
    IDW also gave Shockwave one of the best arc's any TF character has even gotten.
    And then Barber fucked it up by basically making IDW all about Shockwave.

So if there are two things that define IDW for better or worse it's Shockwave and good people dying in stupid pointless ways.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 27, 2020
  12. Thundermania

Thundermania Banned

Bringing back Shockwave was such a waste and it robbed another character who was set up to be a complete badass (Onyx was soooo cool up until that damn reveal) and Shockwave turned into a generic villain with his convoluted plan.

• Like Like x 3
  13. popcorn

popcorn Well-Known Member

3rd party companies can go to hell. I'm into TFs for the toys and the media. Hasbro did all the leg work with Marvel/Sunbow creating bios, origins, stories, etc. to build a fan base and make the toys imported from Takara cool characters. If these 3P companies want my respect, they can make their own damn designs and work to create a fan base for them instead of riding off the coat tails of someone else's work!!

• Like Like x 5
  14. Soundwavelover2004

Soundwavelover2004 Well-Known Member

News Credits:
    My dad ordered me on amazon potp octopuch and alchemist and ss jazz the 3rd dec and its stil not arived why me

15. Thundermania

Thundermania Banned

If you're in Canada then it's because of those idiots in our postal serve. WHO STILL HAVEN'T DELIVERED TF GO RATCHET aka OILSLICK! FUCK!

16. popcorn

The new siege line is becoming grossly overrated. Sure a lot of the figures are well done(not Megatron He's an unfinished mess) but I see a lot of "oh it's a mini Masterpiece!" No just stop it! Put siege Optimus Prime next to MP10. You'd have to have your head in the sand to say that. Oh and charging leader price for Shockwave that's a small voyager. Put the stuff on him he's a regular voyager. Really? Sad thing is I'll likely get that Shockwave because I like the looks of it.

• Like Like x 2
  17. DarkRed401

DarkRed401 Well-Known Member

whats unfinished about megatron?

18. popcorn

The red paint isn't finished around the abdomen, arms and little ab square.
    No panels on the forearms so with the peg holes you can literally see right through them.
    The one foot is hard to lock in and the ankle is floppy.
    The head doesn't tab in. You can literally flop it up and down into the chest.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Windsweeper II

Windsweeper II Banned

News Credits:
    The whole Optimus and Megatron: "We were brothers once." thing is one of the most inane things in the fandom.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dachande

Dachande MULTI-QUOTE- USE IT. Super Mod

News Credits:
    Isn't it in reference to brothers-in-arms though, and not literal?

• Like Like x 3